The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

As it Stands- Part 8/Goaltending

Our last flirtation with a veteran goalie, John Grahame sure didn't work out as a backup. I think Leighton will be fine with some work. But what I think doesn't matter. I think Mo is a work your #1

goalie type of coach. I just hope Leighton plays a few more games this season because I think Ward-O is better with a little rest.

Our last flirtation with a veteran goalie, John Grahame sure didn't work out as a backup. I think Leighton will be fine with some work. But what I think doesn't matter. I think Mo is a work your #1

goalie type of coach. I just hope Leighton plays a few more games this season because I think Ward-O is better with a little rest.

Let's look at Leighton's losses last season.

Oct. 23 to Pittsburgh (99 pts and Stanley Cup Champions)

Nov. 12 to Washington (108 pts, 2nd place in east).

Nov. 24 to Florida (93 pts. 9th place in east).

Nov. 30 to Anaheim (91 pts, 8th place in west).Kabs, Melichar, and Babs on D.

Dec. 6 to Philly (99pts, 4th place in east). Kabs, Melichar, and Babs on D. Mo's first game back .

Dec 11 to Philly (99 pts, 4th place in east). Corvo, Pitkanen, and a bunch of Rats on D.

Dec. 23 to Minn (89 pts. 9th place in west).

Feb. 12 to Florida (93 pts. 9th place in east).

That's not the easiest bunch of teams to beat. It's not like he was losing to scrub teams.

Also in these losses, the Canes were shut out once, scored one goal 4 times, 2 goals twice, and then the 5 goal Philly loss (with no D). It's not like Leighton was getting stellar goal support in these games either. Counting all 8 games, we were 1.625 goals for and 3.875 goals against in those losses. Take out the Philly aberation and it was 1.143 goals for and 3.71 goals against in the remaining 7 losses. Not many goalies are going to win with goal support like that.

That is right. When Mo came we completely changed our defensive style and our goalie got better support. We started to win more games.   He also pretty much  quit using Leighton. It seems to me he doesn't like to use his backup, so will be interesting to see how much "rest" Wardo actually gets.

All those who love playing GM should figure your cap hit next year in part on Ward pulling down at least 5 million. JR has to extend him, I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.
5 mil would be the going rate for Ward.  I don't have a problem with that.  It's not surprising nothing much has happened, tho.

JR, like most other GM's with pending RFA's, will likely wait until the league gives him a preliminary estimate on the '09-'10

cap max.  From what I've seen, everyone is still looking at a 10% (or so) drop -- down to the $51 - 52 m range. 

The Hurricanes don't have many concerns with next year's cap.  Whitney, Wallin, Yelle and Walker will probably retire or move

on.  Cullen and Corvo should be re-signed if it's at a reasonable price.  Murphy or a veteran goaltender may be brought in to 

backup Ward next year, and Aaron Ward will be brought back unless this season becomes a large personal disaster.  There's a

lot of variables, but in a perfect world, that's the way I'd like to see things play out.

after watching camp a couple of days - I'd say Peters had best watch his back - Murphy looked VERY good. positionally perfect, good lateral motion, decent glove and excellent rebound control - esp. with the stick.