The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
its-staal-good-num-12

Player Sightings

I thought Justin had an Aston Martin and Ferrari.

Bubba has the Black Lambo - No?

Who's Bubba?

I dunno, someone with a lot of money.

Apparently so, but I dont recall anyone called Bubba playing for the Canes...ever :huh:

Was sitting outsided at the Firebird Grill in North Hills last night about 6:30, eating dinner before a movie, when I looked at a woman walking on the sidewalk. I told my girlfriend "I know her from somewhere" and made a hockey connection.......but before I could complete that thought I took a look at her companion.....even from behind and with a hat on, I can recognize Eric Staal. They climbed into a Land Rover parked on the street and I waved as they drove away. She waved back with that "Do I know you?" smile. Staal appeared to have been hitting the weights a little......big shoulders on him now.

My quickly how we all forget a couple years ago....

Bubba was one of the equipment guys and filled in as a practice goalie for Camp Brindy and during the season as needed. You would always see him behind the bench at home games.

OH MY GOSH..... I just met one of my girlfriends (another hockey fanatic on this board) for dinner at Pipers Tavern. I haven't seen her since April, but we email regularly. We'd been talking hockey for 2 hours, and she said "OMG, you won't believe who just walked in......." before i could turn to look, Jim Rutherford was standing at our table. He said he was buying a new house, was there with his realtor...... We talked for several minutes about the players, his decisions for trades, injuries from last year, he said the players were coming back into town now, etc. I told him it had been a long summer, and we only have 39 days and (looking at my watch) 21 hours till the first game.... he was amazed that i knew that, and asked if it was true, 39 days? He laughed and said that most people have countdowns to election day, not to the start of hockey season!!!! And of course, he checked out our dinner and asked what we had ordered......... we highly recommended the special!!

He thanked us for being great hockey fans, and shook our hands.

What a great night!!!!

Saw Chad LaRose, Cam Ward, John Forslund and Chuck Kaiton (also Bates Battaglia) at the Jimmy V golf tournament on Sunday. It was my first time to the Jimmy V since they moved it to Pinehurst. What a fall-off in attendance from when they used to have it in Cary. I think there were more volunteers there than spectators! Anyway, that made it easy to get up close to the celebs you were interested in.

Cam was great, after signing autographs for others he started to walk toward his golf cart, then noticed me, Mrs Storm and Little Storm (each of them were decked out in Cane's gear). Quickly backtracking, Cam said, "Oh, I can't forget the Canes' fans," and posed for a picture with them.

Chad was funny. We were the only ones waiting for him when he got to the 15th hole. He comes over and asks my name, then shakes my hand, asks Mrs. Storm's name, then shakes her hand, then asks little Storm's name, and shakes her hand. Then he says, like we didn't know, "And my name is Chad!" He signed his autograph for us and posed for pictures. His group wasn't playing golf very well, so Chad said they were just focusing "on having fun!" No surprise there!

John Forslund was very nice and engaged us in a bit of chat and some talk about the upcoming season.

And seeing Bates Battaglia playing golf in his flip-flops as he always does is an amusing sight. :)

While we got great access to these guys and had a good time it was sort of sad to see how much the Jimmy V has fallen off in named celeb participation and fan attendance. Not sure why they ever moved it from Cary....

We were there as well, the weather forecast did not help with the fan attendance, and you have to also remember that everyone is spread out over three courses. The Golden Knights even cancelled their jump due to the weather. Last years event had more spectators.

Seeing the Canes were great but the highligh was watching Dennis Walter's program. What a motivator an inspiration. And I am not even a golfer! http://www.denniswalters.com/

The kids had their pics with Chad, Cam, Chuck and John, and Aaron Ward. All were extremely nice as usuall.

I met Chad and Cam as well at the Jimmy V.. both were very friendly but I must say Chad was by far the more talkative. He must be a hoot in the locker room and on the road trips. Cam was very polite as you would expect, and he had a heck of a handshake. Now my hand knows what a puck feels like in his glove.

I met Chad and Cam as well at the Jimmy V.. both were very friendly but I must say Chad was by far the more talkative. He must be a hoot in the locker room and on the road trips. Cam was very polite as you would expect, and he had a heck of a handshake. Now my hand knows what a puck feels like in his glove.

CIC: Hi Cam,

*shake*

*CIC in pain*

Cam: What's wrong?

CIC: You broke my hand :(

As I was leaving Dr. Gabe Rich's dental office about 11:30, I saw Pete Friesen go sprinting [literally] from his car/van to the office. I stopped him, told him I was looking forward to seeing him soon across the ice from Sec. 117G 1&2. He told me I looked like I should run in his race. I begged off with knee problems, whereupon he said "Well you have a good body type. Keep staying in shape." Very friendly guy, nice ambassador for the firm. I get the feeling he's on the job 24 hours a day.

My husband and I saw Cam Ward at the John Mayer concert Wednesday night in Raleigh. My husband passed him on the way out of the restroom and thought to himself "Hey, I think I know that guy." Then it hit him who it was! He waved me over and said "Quess who I just saw go in the bathroom. Cam Ward." So there we are, standing outside the mens restroom, trying not to look obvious as we wait for him to come out. :) When he walked out, my husband casually walked up beside and said "Cam Ward checking out John Mayer" Cam just laughed and said "What's up man" I think he was a little worried we might call attention to him. I wonder if he's a Mayer fan, of if his wife made him go! LOL

quick one here, i live at the beach,im not from raleigh, so i don't get to see any canes..but my friend's dad owns a fishing boat and she called and told me today that 6 canes players were on board. i got down there today and got to see Conboy, Lieghton,Borer,Bayda and 2 of the prospects Brett carson and Pat dwyer. didnt get to talk to them, they'd been on the boat all day long and looked pretty wore out. but i was amped to see them!

When I was in college, I worked at Lowes' Foods in North Raleigh all summer. I used to see Roddy at least once a month in the store.

If you wonder how the guy is such good shape, you should see him shop. Lots of fruits and veggies. Always bought fish and chicken. Never anything sweet (one time he got ice cream, but it was healthy choice ^_^ )

However, my favorite story...

I asked if he had his Lowes' Card, you know to save money. He says "No, why would I need one?" I said "B/c you can save money." He then grinned and said "Once again, why would I need one?"

I just kinda stood there and went "yup, good point"

Super super nice guy. After a while he would always come through my line when I was there and talk hockey while I was scanning his groceries. Always paid with a credit card - signature was nothing close to his autograph - lol