The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
its-staal-good-num-12

Player Sightings

This is a neat thread. I'm kinda new to the forums but wanted to share an older story.

I was visiting my parents for Easter (during the lockout I think, maybe a year before). I was sitting with my family at St. Phillip's. My sister was in the choir and is a huge Canes fan too. About 1/2 way through the sermon I realized Arturs Irbe (and wife?) was sitting smack in front of me. I about fell out of the pew. I was trying to make hand gestures to my sister in the choir loft but she remained clueless until she came to join us for communion. She about snarfed wine out her nose when I told her.

I told my dad too afterword and he said "I know, I just wanted to see how long it took you to notice"!!!!

I wanted to say hi to Irbe, but figured best to just let him enjoy Easter Sunday in peace.

Yes...Staal is married.

Saw Staal, Gleason, Bayda, Tripp (sp.?) and one other guy I didn't recognize out last night. I'm not sure if Staal is married, but if he is, I'm guessing his wife was with him. It was cool.

I skated with Shane Willis at the Ice House Stick and Puck today. It was cool to be on the ice with someone who is that good. He was tearin it up and has a booming shot. I heard that he got cut from the Preds, so I wonder what he is gonna do now. He still looked really good out there.

got a text from a friend last night and hauled butt to the Jackpot Bar on hillsborough street in raleigh.

walked in, got a beer and saw josef melichar and frank kaberle playing pool in the other room. still can't figure out why they would be in the dirtiest bar in this part of north carolina, but i'm assuming they thought they'd not be recognized and could just hang out and drink and have a good time. problem is, the DJ that night is a goalie, both bartenders follow hockey and i am completely immersed in the world of hockey.

none of us said anything, but there were some knowing glances.

Rod at the YMCA couple of times, Craig Adams at Solomon's before he was traded last year and Matt Cullen this morning at Starbucks. A friend saw Rod @ North Hills Target right before training camp.

got a text from a friend last night and hauled butt to the Jackpot Bar on hillsborough street in raleigh.

walked in, got a beer and saw josef melichar and frank kaberle playing pool in the other room. still can't figure out why they would be in the dirtiest bar in this part of north carolina, but i'm assuming they thought they'd not be recognized and could just hang out and drink and have a good time. problem is, the DJ that night is a goalie, both bartenders follow hockey and i am completely immersed in the world of hockey.

none of us said anything, but there were some knowing glances.

wonder if he might be staying at the one of those Hillsbourgh St hotels where it is easily walkable. You are right, Jackpot is not cleanest bar but may be the hippest.

Saw a black Maserati GT at the light near Char Grill on Edwards Mill Road today about noon. After putting two and two together, I figured it must be Staal. It was. Hard to see through the tinted windows, but the person driving certainly had his profile. He was yakking on his cell phone as he came by me.

Saw a black Maserati GT at the light near Char Grill on Edwards Mill Road today about noon. After putting two and two together, I figured it must be Staal. It was. Hard to see through the tinted windows, but the person driving certainly had his profile. He was yakking on his cell phone as he came by me.

You would be correct. He bought it about 2 weeks before he signed that mega contract. Guess he knew it was gonna get finalized :)

You would be correct. He bought it about 2 weeks before he signed that mega contract. Guess he knew it was gonna get finalized :)

Was at the practice today at RecZone and noticed Cam also has a BRAND NEW Maserati. Still has the 30 day tags on it.

Also, I have to say we have some class act players. Everyone that came out took time to sign autographs for my son and all the other folks there. Wallin, Seidenberg and Sutter chatted a little which was cool. Gotta say, Wallin is a beast in person. That dude is H U G E! On the other hand, Pitkanen is very small (build wise) which was surprising.

It was our first time going to the practice and attempting to get autographs and we probably got about half the team. Very cool experience.

Does anybody know how accessible the players are for autographs when practices are held at RBC?

Was at the practice today at RecZone and noticed Cam also has a BRAND NEW Maserati. Still has the 30 day tags on it.

That's whose car it was. Driving out of the RBC we saw the car coming out the North parking lot (where the players park), but it was too dark to see in to see who was driving it.

As for your question about autograpsh at RBC. They are fairly easy as well, but I find the reczone to be more personable. Usually at the RBC they drive through the autograph line. Some will walk the line, but most will drive through it.

not a player but Jeff Daniels came into the library where i work over the summer...actually my friend and i have a joke about how she is the reason that he ended up in Albany. It was probably the week before it was announced that he was taking over as head coach and he came in with his family and she just couldn't keep her mouth shut and said something embarrassing about the team's "success" that season. So when he left Raleigh, we gave her a hard time about running him out of town to get away from her. :)

Not a current player but back in October I was in the Phoenix airport waiting for a flight to Oakland and met Bret Hedican. His mother-in-law spotted my Hurricanes T-shirt (Ruutu) and asked if I ws from Raleigh. She told me her son-in-law used to play for the Hurricanes and introduced me to Bret. My co-worker snapped a picture of us with his cell phone. Kristi ran up at the last minute to board the plane with little girls. Bret also sat right behind me on the flight - he is a really nice guy.

I was out for a run today and saw Joe Corvo playing in his front yard with his kids. I was a little disturbed to see moving vans. So on my return route I stopped for a quick hello and to thank him for all his on ice efforts. I was concerned he was traded so I just ask. To my relief he is just moving.

My son was a cashier at the Harris Teeter in North Raleigh on Falls of Neuse and Durant during the holidays (back at ECU now). He checked out Justin Williams and family. It was practically all organic fruits and vegetables, along with all kinds of nuts - very healthy stuff... and expensive - his bill was $350! My son said he thought at first that JW was some kind of bum (when he first walked up) - dressed in warm-ups, knit cap pulled down low - unshaven - looked half asleep. Then JW's wife joined him and my boy quickly figured it out this guy wasn't a bum. She was, to quote, "model quality". He was very nice to my son, who's a big fan - they had a good talk - said his injury is feeling fine.

I dont live anywhere near Raleigh but my cousin moved to Cary earlier in the year and we all went to help him move in his furniture (this was during the training camp). We stopped to get gas and ran into someone I thought I recognized but it didn't hit me at the time. Later on I realized that it was Justin Peters.

Nothing recent, but a few years ago we met Erik Cole at the Perkins restaurant in Apex. I think he had an appearance nearby earlier that morning. Also, chatted with John Forslund at an italian restaurant in Apex. He was very friendly, super nice.

*****************************NOTICE TO ANYONE THAT SEE'S A PROFESSIONAL HOCKEY PLAYER******************************************

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PLEASE SEND THEM TO THE RBC CENTER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

????????????????????????????????????????THE CANES ARE MISSING THEM??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????