The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
its-staal-good-num-12

Player Sightings

Haha, that made me laugh. :lol:

LOL me too! he def sticks out like a sore thumb when he is in that Mazeratti, not matter how much of a normal joe he tries to look like!

I have seen him several times driving it, one time in particular I had the windows down in my truck and was blasting my ipod and the song "So Happy" by Theory of a Deadman came on so I cranked it up more. I looked to my right because I saw this fancy car pull up next to me, saw it was him (of course my face turned red) and he just gave me a big smile, nodded as if he appreciated my choice of music, and then drove away when the light turned green. It was pretty cool (and lucky me I was sweaty from being on a horse and had a ball cap on so I am sure I looked like a dirty redneck or something! LOL)

Of course I sat there for a second like "did I just see who I thought I saw" and got honked at to get going... I think the person behind me was wondering about my mental capacity or something :blink:

Saw A. Ward and Jim Rutherford today. I went up to the RBC center today to sign up for a 12 game plan. I was sitting down in the VIP entrance talking to one of the staff members about the plan, and sure enough, i pop my head up, and notice those two leaving out. I think they were going to lunch. Rutherford said something about him driving.

Saw A. Ward and Jim Rutherford today. I went up to the RBC center today to sign up for a 12 game plan. I was sitting down in the VIP entrance talking to one of the staff members about the plan, and sure enough, i pop my head up, and notice those two leaving out. I think they were going to lunch. Rutherford said something about him driving.

You know what they say about "being taken out to lunch" TRADE!! :P :P :P :P

Back before Moe was fired, he lived right across the street from my house. Took martial arts with him too. His wife would give out schedule magnets for halloween. My sister used to have Craig Adams come into her coffee shop all the time. i think an asst. coach lived in our neighborhood too.

A friend of mine called last week... he and a female friend were leaving Pleasant Valley Bowling Alley, and said Chad LaRose was there! His friend just happened to be wearing her Cam Ward T-Shirt, and Chad came over and said "I was just texting with Cam and I looked up and saw you wearing his shirt!!". He was very nice to them.......... and made a huge impression.

First of all, to introduce myself... I've been reading the board for a long time but had never created an account to post. But my encounter over the weekend inspired me to register so I could share this quick story.

My husband and I went to the Jimmy V Celebrity Golf Classic on Sunday and after walking around for a bit, we found a good spot by one of the greens where we could set up our chairs and watch. We knew Erik Cole should be coming through there pretty soon and before too long, his group made it to the green.

After Erik took his putt, he walked across the green to where we were sitting (we were the only two people there at the time) and just started making conversation. Talking a bit of golf with my husband, etc... Then he started teasing me about my Red Sox hat and we traded some Sox/Yankees smack talk. (He even jokingly put his hand over the B on my hat when my husband took our photo.)

He was just so nice and friendly and didn't act at all like he thought it was his "duty" to come hang out with with us for a few minutes - he seemed genuinely interested in simply chatting to someone while he waited for his group to finish. He could have easily just stayed over by his golf partners but he made a real effort to interact. Even though we weren't wearing any Hurricanes gear and he had no idea if we were fans or not. (Sadly, I'm sure there are plenty of Triangle residents who have no idea who he is.) We made sure to let him know that we were glad he was returning and that we were looking forward to the season. Maybe he knew it and maybe he didn't, but he really made our day.

We also spoke to Chad LaRose, who was in his usual form. He made a joke about the Hooters boxer shorts (obviously a giveaway from the Hooters tent) I was carrying and was super nice to everyone who was waiting to meet him. You can just tell what a genuine guy he is. When he came through the hole where we had set up our seats, he recognized us from earlier in the day and asked us if we were having a good time and joked with us about not getting hit by errant golf balls.

We saw Brind'Amour and Corvo as well but I get the vibe from them that they're not as much into the whole public thing as much as some of the others are. Especially Corvo... But that's fine - we need to remember that it's not their job to meet and greet all the time. The ones who do it should be the ones who enjoy getting out and meeting the fans. (Just my two cents, obv.)

Anyway, just wanted to share our great experience and remind everyone how lucky we are to have great guys like this on our team!

BTW, I tried to attach a photo but couldn't get it to work... Any suggestions?

Cool stuff :)

As for posting photos you need to upload to a hosting site such as photobucket, copy the url for the photo and post between 'img' tags ;) A lot of sites have the actual code/tags+url there for you to copy....

staal_celebration_front.jpg

^ do a reply and check out the code ^

First of all, to introduce myself... I've been reading the board for a long time but had never created an account to post. But my encounter over the weekend inspired me to register so I could share this quick story.

My husband and I went to the Jimmy V Celebrity Golf Classic on Sunday and after walking around for a bit, we found a good spot by one of the greens where we could set up our chairs and watch. We knew Erik Cole should be coming through there pretty soon and before too long, his group made it to the green.

After Erik took his putt, he walked across the green to where we were sitting (we were the only two people there at the time) and just started making

He is a pretty geniune guy, there was a story posted from a Edmonton fan when he got traded back that he was at a gas station and Cole was next in line the man forget his wallet and went out to the car when he got back the clerk told him Erik paid his bill for him and to say Merry Christmas to him.

Cool stuff :)

As for posting photos you need to upload to a hosting site such as photobucket, copy the url for the photo and post between 'img' tags ;) A lot of sites have the actual code/tags+url there for you to copy....

Thanks for the tip! Hopefully this works:

IMG_9249.jpg

IMG_9242.jpg

We saw Brind'Amour and Corvo as well but I get the vibe from them that they're not as much into the whole public thing as much as some of the others are. Especially Corvo... But that's fine - we need to remember that it's not their job to meet and greet all the time. The ones who do it should be the ones who enjoy getting out and meeting the fans. (Just my two cents, obv.)

Anyway, just wanted to share our great experience and remind everyone how lucky we are to have great guys like this on our team!

Next to Staal, Corvo's the worst at signing autographs. It was so funny 1 time after a practice, LaRose and 2 other players were signing autographs, and i guess LaRose got impatient waiting for his teammates, so he parked his massive truck right in front of the player's exit to get out and sign. By parking he trapped the other players in. Corvo was the next 1 out, and you could just tell how pissed he was. At 1st, nobody wanted to go up to him because he looked pissed off, then everyone ran up to him. But Rod stopped for autographs after nearly every game. Although i got him to crack a smile when i asked for a handshake instead of an autograph, he never seemed up for conversation, but that's ok.

Thier people to and you never know whose having a bad day. Corvo was absolutely pissed with the Canadian media before he came here, he hated it. Doesn't surprise me he tries to avoid contact.

Thier people to and you never know whose having a bad day. Corvo was absolutely pissed with the Canadian media before he came here, he hated it. Doesn't surprise me he tries to avoid contact.

Well Corvo must have a lot of bad days. There were sometimes where he'd have to walk past the fans to get to his car, still wouldn't stop. As a matter of fact the only time he did stop, it was after he had a big game. Even then he only stopped for a few people. And at the rec zone he'll sneak out the front door to avoid fans. It doesn't take away from how i view him because it's not that big of a deal, i just don't think it would kill him to stop every now and then.

I have only ever run into 2 players, Nic Wallin,Scotty Walker. We were all at the Charlotte airport (last years all star break) and Nic was there with his family and Scot was there with them.I sat and talked with them for about 2 hrs and they were the nicest guys you could ever imagine. Nic introduced me to his wife and kids as well. All I can say is, that is the only time i didn't mind having a flight delayed!!

There are both top notch guys!

Corvo's reluctance has been discussed before. I think the consensus was that he was somewhat shy, not that he was necessarily avoiding fans so much as the spotlight in general. Based on my limited interaction, about 1 minute at Skate with the Canes, I'd agree with that. He was cordial but definitely not the most talkative or outgoing. Similar to Brind'Amour and Ward. Kind of the polar opposite of Whitney and LaRose.

I have only ever run into 2 players, Nic Wallin,Scotty Walker. We were all at the Charlotte airport (last years all star break) and Nic was there with his family and Scot was there with them.I sat and talked with them for about 2 hrs and they were the nicest guys you could ever imagine. Nic introduced me to his wife and kids as well. All I can say is, that is the only time i didn't mind having a flight delayed!!

Shoulda asked if he enjoyed beating the snot outta Brendan Witt. What a memorable smack down that was. Unless you did ask him?

That is really cool. Wish something like that would happen when I get stuck. With all the miles I've flown the most interesting person I've met was William Katt. Well, there was this one girl...but I won't go there. :lol:

Shoulda asked if he enjoyed beating the snot outta Brendan Witt. What a memorable smack down that was. Unless you did ask him?

No didn't ask but:

What was funny is that we sat there and watched alot of Scott's fights on his laptop.. That was pretty cool to say the least!

I just noticed this on the RecZone Schedule on their Website:

Mon 08/24/2009 10:00 AM 12:00 PM RecZone Rink 1 Hurricanes : Canes Skate

Tue 08/25/2009 10:00 AM 12:00 PM RecZone Rink 1 Hurricanes : Canes Skate

Wed 08/26/2009 10:00 AM 12:00 PM RecZone Rink 1 Hurricanes : Canes Skate

Thu 08/27/2009 10:00 AM 12:00 PM RecZone Rink 1 Hurricanes : Canes Skate

There seem to be quite a few negative post on the Corvo topic. I had a very pleasant interaction with him in his front yard. He used to live around the corner from me and I stopped to say hello one day while out running. Our conversation was brief but I didn't get the impression he was withdrawn or rude in any way. He was very polite and talked for a minute or two. I thanked him for all his on ice efforts and he seemed very appreciative. Maybe he is just a private guy.

Maybe he is just a private guy.

Imagine that. I need to find out where some of the people on here work so I can stand outside the front door everyday and bother them, I'm sure they will be very receptive to it.

And yes I realize part of the players job is fan interaction.