The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Flyers questioned again w/hit on Bergeron

You beat me to it lol

I can only shake my head at the Flyers this year. Just when you though that Colin Cambell impressed enough on the Flyers, Boulerice and Downie, sure enough, here comes Randy Jones. That hit was totally uncalled for and Bergeron had no chance at all to defend himself against that hit.

I hope his injuries are not as bad as it looked.

You beat me to it lol

I can only shake my head at the Flyers this year. Just when you though that Colin Cambell impressed enough on the Flyers, Boulerice and Downie, sure enough, here comes Randy Jones. That hit was totally uncalled for and Bergeron had no chance at all to defend himself against that hit.

Are you watching the NESN feed? Jack and Andy basically had to bite their toungues to not call out the Philly announcers. I thin the team should be fined as well as the coach. 30 games for Jones?

You beat me to it lol

Are you watching the NESN feed? Jack and Andy basically had to bite their toungues to not call out the Philly announcers. I thin the team should be fined as well as the coach. 30 games for Jones?

It looked like immediately after he fell he flexed one leg and then the other... Bruins just scored btw... 1-0

The just said he was completely unconcious when he hit the ice. Hopefully a bad concussion is all it is (not that that's good).

It looked like immediately after he fell he flexed one leg and then the other... Bruins just scored btw... 1-0

The just said he was completely unconcious when he hit the ice. Hopefully a bad concussion is all it is (not that that's good).

yes, I just started watching the game on NESN. I think they did a really good job refraining from calling for some Flyer heads to roll for that one.

And yea, it's the third brutal hit by a Flyer in this early season and Campbell and the League ought to take a close look at some sort of disciplinary action against the franchise. But can they? I find it really hard to defend the coaches and manager by blaming those hits only on some stupid or overagressive players who "lost their heads".

OMG they just replayed it and I cringed at the sight of it. Some are trying to say Jones tried to stop before he hit him but it didn't look like he did to me. Bergeron's parents were there today too, can you imagine watching that happen to your son?

That is awful and perhaps it's time to start punishing the organization as well as the player now. That's 3 already this season and that's just unacceptable.

Just saw the replay on that hit.....I am entirely speechless.

I will keep Bergeron in my thoughts. I can't imagine being his parents and seeing that happen to my son.

yes, I just started watching the game on NESN. I think they did a really good job refraining from calling for some Flyer heads to roll for that one.

And yea, it's the third brutal hit by a Flyer in this early season and Campbell and the League ought to take a close look at some sort of disciplinary action against the franchise. But can they? I find it really hard to defend the coaches and manager by blaming those hits only on some stupid or overagressive players who "lost their heads".

Agreed, isn't the coach supposed to have some sort of control over their players on the ice? And we're not talking an isolated incident anymore, this is the THIRD one! Maybe if someone headhunts Breire and takes him out for awhile or maybe ruins his career.......ok, I really don't want that but Im afraid that this hit was really bad. I know the league has upped the suspensions in these cases but I guess its gonna take a death to end the problem once and for all.

Agreed, isn't the coach supposed to have some sort of control over their players on the ice? And we're not talking an isolated incident anymore, this is the THIRD one! Maybe if someone headhunts Breire and takes him out for awhile or maybe ruins his career.......ok, I really don't want that but Im afraid that this hit was really bad. I know the league has upped the suspensions in these cases but I guess its gonna take a death to end the problem once and for all.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=34139...mp;service=page

BOSTON (AP) -Bruins center Patrice Bergeron was taken from the ice on a stretcher Saturday against Philadelphia after apparently losing consciousness when he was hit from behind by Flyers defenseman Nick Jones.

Medical personnel cut away Bergeron's jersey and shoulder pads as they worked on him, placing his neck in a brace. They placed him on a board and then onto a stretcher, his legs taped together and his arms folded across his chest. There was little sign of movement. The game was delayed some 15 minutes with 3:53 left in the first period.

Jones drew a 5-minute major for boarding and a game misconduct.

Bergeron and Jones were chasing a loose puck when Bergeron took the hit in the back and hit the glass face-first. He went down on the ice on his back and lay virtually motionless as Jones continued pursuing the puck. As the whistle blew, Boston's Chuck Kobasew went after Jones, drawing a roughing penalty.

what a dirty dirty hit! no reason for it! he needs to be gone for a long long time. there is no room for this in the NHL! Reminded me of erik cole and it looks just as bad. he more than likely has a broken neck and it is very sad b.c he is such a good player

God, that makes me sick to my stomach to watch. He didn't even try to stop when he saw Bergeron's head was down!

This game is really hard to watch now btw. The Bruins are obviously worried about him more than winning the game and are catching no lucky breaks. Phil Kessel looked so mad with himself about missing that penalty shot.

That is completely unacceptable. You can clearly see Bergeron's head is down and Jones never lowers his arms or anything to try and avoid that hit. That's just awful to watch.

I question this hit. It's an illegal hit, there's no doubt about that. But I dunno if it's suspension worthy. Bergeron put on the brakes, and put his head into the boards. Obviously Jones didn't make an attempt to stop, but he was just finishing a check.

5 games, max. Wouldn't be surprised if he got off scott-free though.

I will agree that the Flyers need to be fined or something. 3 plays like this, this early in the season? They'll win the Cup, because there will be no one left to face them.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=341392&page=NewsPage&service=page' target="_blank">http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=34139...mp;service=page[/post]

Bergeron and Jones were chasing a loose puck when Bergeron took the hit in the back and hit the glass face-first......

I think that's a BS description in the NHL.com article. Jones wasn't chasing any puck. He was chasing Bergeron and tried to cut him off and IMHO he only had one thing in mind and that's to line him up to hit him. Period. He didn't make any attempt to even touch the puck.

5 games max? Ridiculous! Bergerons back was to him the entire time and you can't hit a guy like that, especially into the boards. After playing years to make it to the nhl they all know that by now. He came in fast and hard and piled Bergeron to the boards. Completely dirty hit. The one thing I can say is at least he apologized for it, not that it fixes anything but it shows a lot more class than a certain punk we all remember from two seasons ago. I pray Bergeron is ok, will anxiously await word of how he is.

I question this hit. It's an illegal hit, there's no doubt about that. But I dunno if it's suspension worthy. Bergeron put on the brakes, and put his head into the boards. Obviously Jones didn't make an attempt to stop, but he was just finishing a check.

5 games, max. Wouldn't be surprised if he got off scott-free though.

I will agree that the Flyers need to be fined or something. 3 plays like this, this early in the season? They'll win the Cup, because there will be no one left to face them.

i guess i will try this again, since my post got deleted.. Icefrog you are not very smart. What exactly were you watching? this is almost the exact thing that happened to erik cole! he did not try to stop in the slightest bit! he should be gone for a min. of 25 games! there is not room in teh NHL for anything like this and not only should he get suspended for it he will!

Jones's statement:

"Words really can't express the way that I feel right now. I am very apologetic for the hit and what I did. It was not intentional. It is something that I have never done before and it is not part of my character. I am extremely sorry. I hope he does OK and everything works out for him. I wish him nothing but the best in his recovery."