The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
pilige

Chelios not happy with Bettman

Bettman is just an easy target. Like conservatives.

I fail to see how the job he is doing is so bad. If there were no "interference" the union would run the league into the ground, just look at the US auto industry.

IMHO

I don't have as big a problem as some with Bettman, my only issue is he pushed for and got expansion too fast before making sure the overall health of the league could handle it. I understand that to grow the sport you have to make it available to as many people as possible, but slowly making sure that each franchise was stable and showed signs of decent growth would have helped before starting new ones. Im all for the non-traditional markets as long as the other teams are healthy first.

I don't have as big a problem as some with Bettman, my only issue is he pushed for and got expansion too fast before making sure the overall health of the league could handle it. I understand that to grow the sport you have to make it available to as many people as possible, but slowly making sure that each franchise was stable and showed signs of decent growth would have helped before starting new ones. Im all for the non-traditional markets as long as the other teams are healthy first.

Chelios has to have an evil out there and someone to blame. It is part of the control factor and the race for union cohesiveness. Remember, during the lockout, Chelios spelled out Carolina by name as a place that should not have a team and one of the main reasons why the lockout happened.

He can jump off the building and retire for all I care.

Chelios has to have an evil out there and someone to blame. It is part of the control factor and the race for union cohesiveness. Remember, during the lockout, Chelios spelled out Carolina by name as a place that should not have a team and one of the main reasons why the lockout happened.

He can jump off the building and retire for all I care.

But "at the time" Chelios was absolutely right. I don't think he was saying the people in raleigh don't deserve a team, he was saying that the incompetence of the Carolina franchise was one of THE main catalysts that drove the league to go on strike.

http://proicehockey.about.com/b/a/138895.htm''>http://proicehockey.about.com/b/a/138895.htm' target="_blank">http://proicehockey.about.com/b/a/138895.htm[/post]

But "at the time" Chelios was absolutely right. I don't think he was saying the people in raleigh don't deserve a team, he was saying that the incompetence of the Carolina franchise was one of THE main catalysts that drove the league to go on strike.

http://proicehockey.about.com/b/a/138895.htm''>http://proicehockey.about.com/b/a/138895.htm' target="_blank">http://proicehockey.about.com/b/a/138895.htm[/post]

That is a an opinion article where Chelios is not even quoted. At the time, I heard Chelios in an interview say "There should not be a team in Carolina" (paraphrased) Therefore, I could care less what Chelios says or thinks. Yes, my opinion but goes back to the basis of my original post and not some opinion article plucked from 2005.

As I will state again, Chelios has to have an evil to fight in the press as I personally don't think he can make an argument without doing so.

That is a an opinion article where Chelios is not even quoted. At the time, I heard Chelios in an interview say "There should not be a team in Carolina" (paraphrased) Therefore, I could care less what Chelios says or thinks. Yes, my opinion but goes back to the basis of my original post and not some opinion article plucked from 2005.

As I will state again, Chelios has to have an evil to fight in the press as I personally don't think he can make an argument without doing so.

As much as you don't like to admit it, Jim Rutherford IS the reason the NHL ended up going on strike. The contract he offered Fedorov years ago was ridiculously stupid and ended up inflating player salaries to the point where teams could not afford to pay their players and still bring in positive revenue each year and ended up causing the strike.

Now saying that its Bettman's fault that there is a team in Raleigh, thats just stupid. He did not expand to Raleigh, he allowed a franchise that had failed in its town (an area that was already oversaturated with hockey franchises) to move to an area that he saw potential in. I have no problem with that. The expansions to Tampa, Miami, Phoenix, etc... now those I don't get...

Now saying that its Bettman's fault that there is a team in Raleigh, thats just stupid. He did not expand to Raleigh, he allowed a franchise that had failed in its town (an area that was already oversaturated with hockey franchises) to move to an area that he saw potential in. I have no problem with that. The expansions to Tampa, Miami, Phoenix, etc... now those I don't get...

It's not stupid....It's hard to say that Bettman didn't have an impact in both Pittsburgh and Nashville.

Thunderball, I'm not going to debate about the NHL's presence in Raleigh.

I always thought Chelios' comments about Raleigh were in response to some of the things Karmanos' was saying during the lock out.

The most infamous being:

"I know personally that I'd be willing to risk another season, I feel very, very strongly that if we don't get it straightened out, we don't have to worry about the NHL existing anyways."-Peter Karmanos

Considering Karmanos was the leading catalyst to why the lockout even happened, what right did he have telling the NHLPA and all its players that they could kiss their jobs goodbye if they don't bend over and give in the the BoG's demands.

who really cares why it all happened, or whose fault it was....we have hockey here in Carolina and it IS working. Obviosuly lol

If we're going to bash Chelios' character, then yes it's important.

That's all I'm saying.

oh, haha, well in that case....continue lol. no really, are we seriously going to bash him for what he said years ago? obviously we have stuffed it back down his throat. that's not even what this thread is about!

The NHL players gave into a 27% pay-cut. Regardless of their celebrity status....I've never heard of any employee simply giving up 27% of their former salary, PLUS and additional 10% of their current salary goes to an escrow account (If you know how the player's escrow account works, you'll know that struggling non-traditional markets make it almost IMPOSSIBLE for that money to return to the players).

I'm not saying certain cities should or shouldn't have teams, that argument isn't even the subject here, but if Chelios wants to voice his opinion on the NHLPA's and NHL's financial operations over his pay check, then he has a right to.

The reason for the lock out was now Fedorov's contract offer. The reason for the lockout was the league had major revenue issues - like a very small TV contract - and the players just didn't get it. They didn't understand the owners had to get revenue/payroll in line, and they had to get the players to understand the economics of the hockey business.

Hate Bettman all you want. But, the league is in better shape now than it was several years ago.

The reason for the lock out was now Fedorov's contract offer. The reason for the lockout was the league had major revenue issues - like a very small TV contract - and the players just didn't get it. They didn't understand the owners had to get revenue/payroll in line, and they had to get the players to understand the economics of the hockey business.

Hate Bettman all you want. But, the league is in better shape now than it was several years ago.

Players didn't inflate their salaries, the owners did.

And the league isn't in better shape, all the lockout did was hit a reset button, allowing owners to make the same mistakes all over again only in different venues, ie Penner, Vanek.

I always thought Chelios' comments about Raleigh were in response to some of the things Karmanos' was saying during the lock out.

The most infamous being:

"I know personally that I'd be willing to risk another season, I feel very, very strongly that if we don't get it straightened out, we don't have to worry about the NHL existing anyways."-Peter Karmanos

Considering Karmanos was the leading catalyst to why the lockout even happened, what right did he have telling the NHLPA and all its players that they could kiss their jobs goodbye if they don't bend over and give in the the BoG's demands.

Maybe there was some Detroit fighting going on and I don't doubt Karmamos was not a force in the owner's circle but I find it very hard to believe Karmanos was the leading catalyst. In my opinion, that is just dead wrong. Yes, he spoke up but he always does. You have to look at the groups that made out like bandits on a salary cap. Look no further than the Maple Leafs, Detroit, Colorado, Rangers who added up to $40M in pur profit a year by the salary cap. Tell me who was pushing more for the cap. The guy who was going to break even or the guys who were going to make a killing by the salary cap.

The loudest always get blamed but I just don't buy "leading catalyst ". I just don't think that the owner of a hockey team in Raleigh could be the "leading catalyst " to shut down the NHL for a year. He was just being a loudmouth.

Maybe there was some Detroit fighting going on and I don't doubt Karmamos was not a force in the owner's circle but I find it very hard to believe Karmanos was the leading catalyst. In my opinion, that is just dead wrong. Yes, he spoke up but he always does. You have to look at the groups that made out like bandits on a salary cap. Look no further than the Maple Leafs, Detroit, Colorado, Rangers who added up to $40M in pur profit a year by the salary cap. Tell me who was pushing more for the cap. The guy who was going to break even or the guys who were going to make a killing by the salary cap.

The loudest always get blamed but I just don't buy "leading catalyst ". I just don't think that the owner of a hockey team in Raleigh could be the "leading catalyst " to shut down the NHL for a year. He was just being a loudmouth.

It's common knowledge that the two loudest teams leading up to, and during, the lockout were the Edmonton Oilers and the Carolina Hurricanes. Look it up, it's fact. It's also ironic that after the lockout, those were the very two teams that "made like bandits" and went to the cup finals together. The Toronto Maple Leafs or MLSE were dead set against a lockout. You might have a point with teams like Detroit and the Rangers, but you couldn't be more wrong with the Leafs. They were the only Canadian team left still making money in the old system, and their profits were far greater then any other traditional city. Detroit had to make it to the semis just to make a profit, Toronto didn't have this problem. The Leafs pretty much operate under a fixed revenue....meaning their income can't really grow any more then it has. You could argue that the new NHL has reduced their costs, which in turn increased their operating income, but let's try to remember that this is a sport and Toronto was one of the few teams who had a financial competitive advantage in the old NHL that translated into an on-ice competitive advantage as well. They did not want to give that up.

My whole problem with Bettman is he interferes at the wrong time, like when Buffalo and Nashville were up for sale. He should have let business take its natural course. The Buffalo market for now is fine, but what about Nashville? How long can they stay a float? Bettman should have not interfered with the transaction in any way, because its not his job. Thats the job of the Board of Governors. Bettman has more important issues he needs to fix like Florida's whinning, the oblivios officials, and the ability of the NHL to make money.