The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
pilige

Official Punishment

Judging by past crappy performances by refs who officiated the next game we played, we almost always see a change.

I'm sure thier disciplined, heck every single hit and touch of the puck is watched in Toronto. Just on a normal game week, your never gonna see the same ref 2 nights in a row usually to know if hes back on his game.

Keeping in mind that 95% of hockey fans have no idea the actual rules of hockey, nor how it is actually like to referee a game, I say absolutely not. Think of it this way. A person drops you off on the highway and says for the next 2 minutes, I want you to get the license plate of every car passing by. Its a 4 lane highway and is full of cars flying by at 120km/hour (75mph). What are the chances you get every license plate using only your eyes. No paper, no camera, no video recording devices. Then how would you like to be publically punished for every license you miss?

Keep it all internal.

I won't say that they deserve to be publically punished, but I will say I'd like to know that the NHL is paying attention to the obvious decline in officiating.

Sending a memo isn't going to cut it. Perhaps it should be like it is with players. If the NHL reviews a game, and deems that the officiating in that game was, indeed, substandard, suspend the ref for a couple games. Or make sure they're not officiating any IMPORTANT games (i.e. playoff games or games with playoff implications).

Near the end of the year, repeat offenders get to ref games between 2 teams that are out of the playoffs, while those who have done a pretty good job will get to ref the big ones. If it's done like this, it shows the NHL does care about the fans, and they do realize how big the playoffs are.

I think there is a middle ground here. The public doesn't need to know things on the level of one call or another, even one game to another. Those kinds of feed back to the officials should be internal. But if a ref is consistently not doing their job over the whole season and if some kind of discipline is taken beyond, "hey you blew those calls, stop doing that" from the office, that kind of information should be revealed. To me the public acknowledgment of the discipline, if it were to ever happen, and why is more important than any individual call.

Well Ref let's say that instead of grabbing the cars license plate... you think you saw plate ABW-F454 .... so you write it down but it someone elses plate who never even was on the road that day. That's my issue, is refs making calls they saw out of the corner of their eye but obviously didnt see the whole thing but make a call because they assume someone got tripped...or in Williams case saw Williams face plant but obviously didnt see the tackle. Thats my problem.

Ref's are making way to many well.... he's flat on his face so he musta been tripped calls. But yet when it comes to a high stick a ref didn't see with a pool of blood on the ice... that one goes uncalled?

Also your comparison makes being a ref in hockey sound impossible and if it's impossible then... we should give up now.

:) Leave it to me to be immature but the ref's whistles that are used as clickable links...look like toilet seats with the handle to the right. :)

Can anyone tell Im bored at work?

If the league punishes bad officiating, it should be public information.

For example, thanks to the public decision of the NBA, we now know that a certain referee was betting on his own games. We, as paying fans of the NHL.. who support the game and allow the referees to have a job.. deserve to know that a consistently bad referee is not allowed to continue warping the result of supposedly-fair games.

I don't have to know every rule in the rule book to know when a specific rule isn't enforced correctly. I don't have to know every rule in the rule book to tell that a referee who isn't any good.. or is biased against a player or team.. shouldn't be on the ice.

It would still help a little if you did read the rule book.

When the officials call something I don't understand, I do.

When the officials call something I do understand, there's no reason to. Being tackled to the ice is not diving. Do I need to go check the rulebook on that to be sure there's not an exception for tackling while wearing a Panthers jersey?

There are strange, unique, rarely-seen rules in every sport. I hope we are not attempting to require a fan to know them backwards and forwards before commenting on something as obvious as what happened in Florida.

When the officials call something I don't understand, I do.

When the officials call something I do understand, there's no reason to. Being tackled to the ice is not diving. Do I need to go check the rulebook on that to be sure there's not an exception for tackling while wearing a Panthers jersey?

There are strange, unique, rarely-seen rules in every sport. I hope we are not attempting to require a fan to know them backwards and forwards before commenting on something as obvious as what happened in Florida.

That Panther rule is actually in the book. Check page 364.3

Everyone should be held accountable for thier actions, even referees.

So I guess that means I gotta hold you accountable for spelling "their" wrong? :P

Just kidding. :D

If the league punishes bad officiating, it should be public information.

For example, thanks to the public decision of the NBA, we now know that a certain referee was betting on his own games. We, as paying fans of the NHL.. who support the game and allow the referees to have a job.. deserve to know that a consistently bad referee is not allowed to continue warping the result of supposedly-fair games.

I don't have to know every rule in the rule book to know when a specific rule isn't enforced correctly. I don't have to know every rule in the rule book to tell that a referee who isn't any good.. or is biased against a player or team.. shouldn't be on the ice.

You're trying to compare illegal sports gambling to bad officiating. I don't think that comparison is even valid. Yes, fans indirectly provide officials with a job, but that doesn't mean they should be held accountable to the satisfaction of its spectators. The mere idea is rather absurd, because most fans are only concerned with the officiating that negatively affect their own team's performance. I highly doubt anyone here has thrown a pillow at the tv in a fit of rage, when a phantom penalty is assessed to the opposing team, especially if the Canes use that PP to score a goal. Most of you probably shrug your shoulders and say "well these things happen". I highly doubt any of you say "Ohh we really didn't deserve that goal". If any one example helps illustrate my point.......Williams unfortunate, but accidental high stick to Koivu's eye two years ago would be suffice. I highly doubt any of you were writing letters to Bettman telling him how disappointed you were that Williams didn't get a double minor.

Sometimes bad calls happen, or important calls are missed. I'm pretty certain that the league has its own methods of dealing with officials who consistently officiate bad games, but these methods are going to be conducted behind closed doors. Bettman isn't going to give a public address every time he feels that his officials have dropped the ball. Imagine the Hurricanes won against the Panthers because the officials called a phantom penalty against Florida and the Canes capitalized on the PP in OT. Then after the game, Bettman makes a public announcement stating that the referee's made a bad call and will be punished for it. Indirectly, that's like Bettman say "The Carolina Hurricanes did not deserve those two points".

Keeping in mind that 95% of hockey fans have no idea the actual rules of hockey, nor how it is actually like to referee a game, I say absolutely not. Think of it this way. A person drops you off on the highway and says for the next 2 minutes, I want you to get the license plate of every car passing by. Its a 4 lane highway and is full of cars flying by at 120km/hour (75mph). What are the chances you get every license plate using only your eyes. No paper, no camera, no video recording devices. Then how would you like to be publically punished for every license you miss?

Keep it all internal.

Well, if you have two referees and two linesmen, you can assign each person one lane, making it that much easier to remember them all.

An official's job is based on judgment not performance standards.

Performance standards are objective, while officiating is subjective.

That is only true to a point. How you perform your judgement can be held to a standard.

For example- being consistent, having control of the game etc.

Just an opinion

That is only true to a point. How you perform your judgement can be held to a standard.

For example- being consistent, having control of the game etc.

Just an opinion

whose standards? the fans? players? coaches? BoG?

None of those answers could provide an adequate answer. Not every official thinks alike and not every official thinks the same way on any given night. What some people seem to be looking for is a machine, and not an official.