The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Ref107

Crosby

Who is surprised by this....or any of the promotions of Crosby? It's like the league has no other talent that can sell the game. I think the use of Crosby is just another crutch play to drum interest in our sport.

And I'm sick of it.......no matter who or how this plays out for responsibility.

Why would Crosby make an appearance on Maple Leafs territory is beyond me?

They were up there playing.

It's not very nice of Talbot to do though...the Canadians are all about their hockey so the poster boy of the NHL must be a big deal to them.

What can you say..I guess hockey players need entertainment too?

Rediculous. No reason for this to happen. No reason for the NHL to treat Crosby like he is the second coming of God (or Gretzky, whichever you decide lol). He isn't. The last thing we need is a league centered around this guy.

Its part of the major reason why the schedule was changed. The west coast teams wanted to see Crosby and AO in their arenas more.

I just want to know what will happen when they go there and no magic happens for those fans.

Oh come on, that was funny even if Talbot used questionable judgment with so many kids there. It was an optional skate on rival ice, not a public appearance by Crosby so where is the controversy? This is just grist for the mill of Crosby-haters and Crosby didn't even know about it.

I was watching a Penguins broadcast the other night and Talbot, who was injured, was a guest and the guy is a riot, much like Whitney. In all honesty, if Whitney dressed up as Cam Ward in Edmonton to play a joke on the local fans, the replies would be "that Whitney is a hoot" etc.

i mean, i guess it's kind of funny.. but considering that crosby is known throughout the league i guess it's kind of different.

were the toronto kids informed that it would indeed be crosby? or that he 'may' make an appearance?

I was watching a Penguins broadcast the other night and Talbot, who was injured, was a guest and the guy is a riot, much like Whitney. In all honesty, if Whitney dressed up as Cam Ward in Edmonton to play a joke on the local fans, the replies would be "that Whitney is a hoot" etc.

2 problems with that analogy:

1. Ward is nowhere near as popular, league-wide, as Crosby

2. It happened on away ice. If it happened on Pittsburgh ice, there's no controversy.

2 problems with that analogy:

1. Ward is nowhere near as popular, league-wide, as Crosby

2. It happened on away ice. If it happened on Pittsburgh ice, there's no controversy.

Nobody is as popular as Crosby obviously which is why I chose Ward and Edmonton since he is from there and would be an idolized young guy from an opponent who the Oilers fans would hope to see in an optional skate. Regardless though, would you rip Whitney for doing it?

It wouldn't happen on home ice because they are your fans. It's funny and it's only controversial to those who are looking to attach negativity to Crosby when he had nothing to do with it.

were the toronto kids informed that it would indeed be crosby? or that he 'may' make an appearance?

It was an optional skate not a public appearance. There was no advanced billing that Crosby would skate.

I can't confirm, but I have a feeling it was publicized. Hundreds of kids stayed around to see him. Doesn't sound like something not mentioned.

Only reason this isn't funny to me is cause it was done to kids, if this was done to adults i woulda been rolling on the floor over it.

Still, I dont like most leaf fans and I dont like Crosby so... even though its not funny, i'm defintly not gonna lose sleep over it.

I can't confirm, but I have a feeling it was publicized. Hundreds of kids stayed around to see him. Doesn't sound like something not mentioned.

Crosby had been given the practice off as it was an optional skate. Why would that be publicized especially when they got in early that morning after the playing the night before? The only guys that would skate would typically be the goalies, recovering players and those that have been in the press box.

It was a fund-raising event and their was a youth team that took the ice which is why many stuck around along with the hope, however unlikely, that Crosby would skate. Why would the Leafs publicize something like that when it is customary for star players not to skate? You are looking for a reason to criticize that just isn't there.

That's kinda sickly hilarious, especially because Talbot doesn't even skate like Crosby.

I agree with Legend, it's kinda mean to do it to kids, but to do that to a bunch of adults is really, really funny.

I see why Sid laughed, and it hasn't changed my undying hatred of him one iota. =D

Gee, and I thought Canadians would knew hockey better than this to be so easily duped? Another myth crushed! :D

Yeah its easy to compare our hockey knowledge with a bunch of 8 year olds. :P

Most Canadians have a big sense of humour......No body cares, trust me.

In fact, I think it's frickin hilarious!!!!

Remember this is the same country who threw a pie in their Prime Minister's face when he wasn't looking....If someone pied-faced Bush, he'd probably be buried somewhere in the Nevada desert.

If I was one of those 8 year olds, my dad would laugh at me once i got home. :P

Funniest part is...

After raising Crosby's game stick to acknowledge the fans, the crowd - thinking it was the league's premier player - gave him a standing ovation while cellphone and digital cameras flashed.

Those are a lot of rich 8 year kids, sporting cell phones and digital cameras.

This does not surprise me one little bit, Crosby and the Pittsburgh organization have no class. How many of you actually believe Talbot didn't run this by Crosby before he did it. I also believe the league should be ashamed for the hype it has given Crosby. He is a good player but far from the best ever and has the worst attitude. He couldn't even get along with Mark Recchi, one of the classiest guys in the game. It is like the league has a different set of rules for Crosby on the ice. If you look at him the wrong way a penalty is called, and how many undeserved second assists can one player get. The NHL, Pittsburgh Penguins, and Crosby should all be asshamed.