The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Ref107

Crosby

Most Canadians have a big sense of humour......No body cares, trust me.

In fact, I think it's frickin hilarious!!!!

Exactly, it is and was funny. People act as if an impostor stepped in for Crosby during a public appearance. Now that would be despicable but that isn't what happened.

This whole thread has been fast and loose with the facts and just become a forum for those that hate Crosby. I'm not a fan of the way he whines on the ice but he is getting better and he is still just a kid. I don't have a problem, as many do, with the fact that the NHL uses him as a poster boy for the league. What's the big deal?

All you have to do is go back to the NBA with Magic and Bird or MLB with Sosa and McGwire to see the benefit of a struggling league riding the coattails of those who are the best players at that point in time to re-energize and spread interest.

Again, I doubt there are many Canes' fans who would call Whitney out for doing something similar. Yes, they were kids but come on, it was a joke not a misrepresentation. This is Toronto media hype at its finest. The same media who stirred the pot with alleged Avery comments about Blake and then embarrassingly had to retract the story because it wasn't true.

I think it's hailarious, since when do you get to see the opposing team/player skate when their on the road? Never, they should've known something was going on.

Crosby is a classy guy, a whiner at times, defiently, but look at Crosby and compare him to the other star players in other sports Mike Vick, Kobe Bryant, Barry Bonds. Their not even on Crosby's radar screen when it comes to being classy and this isn't even a big ordeal, just hype for the Toronto Star.

Ovechkin would not have done this! I thought it was funny until I heard this was for kids.

I agree with this statement. Adults funny, kids not so funny. Some of these kids were probably crushed when they found out it wasn't Crosby. What would have been the harm to come out and say Crosbly wasn't going to be on the ice? I don't like Crosby, probably never will.

So yesterday, the Leafs held an open practice (which is very rare in Toronto) and invited a bunch of young children. The Pens announced that they would have Crosby make an appearance at the practice. After the Leaf practice, kids gasp and scream and jump for joy as Crosby jumps onto the ice and does a couple of laps, while waving to the crowd. Everyone is happy...that is until it is discovered later on that it wasn't Crosby. It was another player dressed up as Crosby. Wearing his equiptment, his jersey and pretending to be him. This was a huge disappointment to a lot of young Crosby fans. Toronto media has jumped all over this and the announcers were saying how disgraceful this act was. To purposely portray that Crosby will be skating and then using an imposter. What are your feelings? If you like Crosby, does this change how you feel? If you hate Crosby, do you hate him more after this? Or are your feelings unchanged. Perhaps you may also feel that Crosby did not know this was happening.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=224146&hubname=''>http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=224146&hubname=' target="_blank">http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=224146&hubname=[/post]

Sidney has helped the little children of Toronto learn a valuable lesson about life's bitter disappointments. :)

Sidney has helped the little children of Toronto learn a valuable lesson about life's bitter disappointments. :)
...which will really help them if they become life-long Maple Leaf fans...! :D

That's freakin' hilarious! And to everyone making this look like a conspiracy between Talbot and Crosby, lighten up! Crosby wasn't even in the building! I love that hockey players are such practical jokers! The guys in our room come just short of serious injury for the sake of a good joke now and then. Sweet joke!

...which will really help them if they become life-long Maple Leaf fans...! :D

HAHAHA(falls off chair laughing)

What a horrible thing to do for kids. I wouldn't care if it was adults but kids... come on. I liked crosby but slowly i am realizing he is a tool and i cant stand him anymore. Its like he is the obly kid that knows how to play hockey in the NHL... come on!!!

As tastless as it seems, hockey players gotta do something to calm themselves. It was a harmful joke. I just think its funny that so many Leaf fans like Crosby. He's one player Toronto, you have the oldest franchise in the league. Wanna see a great player? Go to the Hockey Hall of fame and look at the 07 inductees.

off topic, but...

Sidney Crosby is my hero right now

taking Marty Biron off of his feet tonight, i was laughing so hard

so thats for you Staalsy :)

I have to agree with you here.

I freakin hate Biron.

Crosby has gotten the message and is really keeping the whining to a minimum this year...credit the Flyers for putting the heat on his pacifier. Last night's old time hockey was great !

I don't understand why Crosby gets so much hate. Is it the rampant publicity he gets or something?

Many fans don't like the constant publicity, his tendency to whine and the fact that he is a dominant force at such a young age.

So they take shots at him for anything even if it is unwarranted and even invent their own version of the story. This whole story is pointless though since he had nothing to do with it, but those all-too-ready to pile on just jump all over it. Yes, it was both funny and a bit twisted on Talbot's part but Crosby didn't even know about it and wasn't even there. So where is the hate for Talbot since he was the one impersonating Crosby? Transferred to Crosby for many it seems.

To criticize him over it is absurd and only Crosby-haters and Leaf fans are whining about it.

Ok--I hate Crosby and his cry baby act as much as anyone--but remind me how this is his fault? The Pens have an open practice in Toronto, 10k show up to see the practice (much like people showing up to the Rec Zone--just with more people)--it is known that Sid won't practice but is "rumored" to show up after practice for a couple of laps around the ice. In fact Sid is not even in the building. And a teammate decides to don the 87 and skate around as a joke.

So the fact Sid wasn't there, was never told of the proposed dog and pony plan, in a non-home city, and took no part in the actual prank in front of a crowd, some of who were kids, makes him a bad person? Does that really make sense to anyone?

Ok--I hate Crosby and his cry baby act as much as anyone--but remind me how this is his fault? The Pens have an open practice in Toronto, 10k show up to see the practice (much like people showing up to the Rec Zone--just with more people)--it is known that Sid won't practice but is "rumored" to show up after practice for a couple of laps around the ice. In fact Sid is not even in the building. And a teammate decides to don the 87 and skate around as a joke.

So the fact Sid wasn't there, was never told of the proposed dog and pony plan, in a non-home city, and took no part in the actual prank in front of a crowd, some of who were kids, makes him a bad person? Does that really make sense to anyone?

No.....thanks for the perfect post. I dislike Crosby too, but this was funny as hell and he had nothing to do with it.

Many fans don't like the constant publicity, his tendency to whine and the fact that he is a dominant force at such a young age.

So they take shots at him for anything even if it is unwarranted and even invent their own version of the story. This whole story is pointless though since he had nothing to do with it, but those all-too-ready to pile on just jump all over it. Yes, it was both funny and a bit twisted on Talbot's part but Crosby didn't even know about it and wasn't even there. So where is the hate for Talbot since he was the one impersonating Crosby? Transferred to Crosby for many it seems.

To criticize him over it is absurd and only Crosby-haters and Leaf fans are whining about it.

Amen brother.

To me the NICE thing for Talbot to have done, was after he skated around and let everyone take pictures - he should have taken off his helmet and TOLD everyone he was joking around with them and the Crosby was not there. It was mean to let those kids leave the building believing they had seen Crosby when they hadn't. With that said, it is unfortunate that Crosby, who is arguable the biggest star in the league, couldn't have at least skated around for a couple of minutes just to let the kids see him.

Crosby didn't do anything wrong here, except maybe he should have sternly admonished Talbot for his actions (at least on TV :P )