The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hctimo787

2008 NHL Winter Classic

I will be watching....and cheering on the Pens of course. (Although I really doubt there is any hope for them)

Should be a exciting to get to watch.

Nah, won't be interested. Both Buffalo and Pittsburgh were good last year. This year, it's just a battle between the average.

If the NHL really wanted to compete against the Bowl games (which they are), they should have picked better teams.

The timing was poor going against the football bowl games, but i'll watch the hockey game. Whats the weather like in Buffalo now anyway? Is it snowing? That would have been kind of funny if it wasn't cold enough to keep the ice from melting :P

If the NHL really wanted to compete against the Bowl games (which they are), they should have picked better teams.

But Bettman's NBA-ification of the league pretty much mandated that Crosby be involved. And that being said, Buffalo should provide a phenomenal atmosphere for the event. And they picked the teams several months back, right? How did anyone know that BOTH teams would be near the bottom of the standings?

They need to bring this event to Minnesota, Detroit, and NYC in the coming years. Not to mention all the Canadian markets. I think it's a cool idea.

They did something similar in Edmonton in 2003 (I think?). The Canadiens were in town and they played outdoors in front of 53,000 or something like that.

Yup. With the famous image of Theodore with the hat on over his goalie helmet and visible breath thru the mask. Classic stuff, and the weather was unimaginable. Like 30 below (F) if I recall correctly. The "Heritage Classic" was an excuse was to honor Edmonton's 25th year in the league I think, or vice versa.

The timing was poor going against the football bowl games, but i'll watch the hockey game. Whats the weather like in Buffalo now anyway? Is it snowing? That would have been kind of funny if it wasn't cold enough to keep the ice from melting :P

I felt like one of those weather reporters who do coverage in Hurricanes last weekend at the Ralph when the Bills play the Giants. There was snow, rain, wind, sleet, noah's ark floated by at one point. However, the weather's calmed a bit and should be what the NHL would hope for weather wise. Not freezing, but not too warm.

The weather seemed pretty perfect today (at my house at least, can't say what it was like at the Ralph). Cold enough, but not ridiculously frigid, no wind, and cloudy. Hopefully it'll be like this next Tuesday!

That rendering that they keep using looks like it might be the view from the section I'll be in, only we will be in row 4.

Nah, won't be interested. Both Buffalo and Pittsburgh were good last year. This year, it's just a battle between the average.

Bettman will get criticism for whatever he does, but I think he and the league did this right. An outdoor U.S. game is good for the League in creating interest. Need an example: During the NFL game between the Giants at the Buffalo Bills, the broadcasters spent several minutes talking about the Winter Classic and how cool an event it will be, how fast the tickets sold, etc. And, the NFL game was on Fox, not NBC where the hockey game will air!!

Can you imagine any other event that would cause Fox NFL broadcasters to promote (in talking up) a sporting event on another network, much less that sporting event being a hockey game? Me either!

It's not always the better playing teams that will pull in the ratings, though. The game has the Sidney factor, so that'll pull in the curious. I for one will be watching and comparing it to the movie Mystery, Alaska, and my 10 year old daughter will yell and cheer for Sidney. She has become enamored with him since the promo commercial showing him in the couple's bathroom. She loves to quote: "Not funny Sidney!"

I'll be watching this game over the bowl games. Could careless about a bunch of college football teams, but then again, i'm in the minority.

I'm actually really interested in seeing this game, even if it is Buffalo. I think its a pretty cool idea. Its even better that I will be warm and cozy sitting on my couch wrapped up in a blanket drinking hot chocolate watching. :)

For this game, I will be saying: Go Pens and my nephew will be sporting his brand new Crosby shirt he got for Christmas (thanks to his favorite Aunt)

Look forward to watching the game, I don't care for either team that much, but I will be off of work and actually be home to watch a game, just a bonus that it happens to be the first outdoor hockey game in the US. Should be interesting one way or another.

What channel will it be broadcast on??

pretty sure it's NBC

Yep, NBC. I would imagine it will be in HD too, of course.

I don't really care who wins, I just hope it isn't a blowout either way and that it is a playoff-like game in terms of intensity from the players. The adrenaline level should be pretty high for all of the players given the circumstances. I can't wait!

And they picked the teams several months back, right? How did anyone know that BOTH teams would be near the bottom of the standings?

You better check the standings. The 'Canes are only 2 points ahead of Buffalo and 3 ahead of Pittsburgh. They have a SLIMMMMM lead in the SE of 4 points as of today.

Right now the only reason they are in the hunt for the playoffs is they are the division leaders. I AM NOT BASHING anyone I am just stating facts. Buffalo has turned it around and Pittsburgh has picked up there play as of late, the Hurricanes have not.

The standings in the East (4th-8th) are separated by 4 points (1-3 are the division leaders).

This is going to be a HUGE event both live and on TV. The only thing I wish they did would have J. Stagerwald (sp?) and R.J. doing the play by play. I really hate the HOMERS they have on NBC, VS, and any channel other than FSN and the Pitts and Buffalo home broadcasters.

ANYWAY!! Just my 2c worth of babble!

GO SABRES!!!

John

You better check the standings. The 'Canes are only 2 points ahead of Buffalo and 3 ahead of Pittsburgh. They have a SLIMMMMM lead in the SE of 4 points as of today.

Right now the only reason they are in the hunt for the playoffs is they are the division leaders. I AM NOT BASHING anyone I am just stating facts. Buffalo has turned it around and Pittsburgh has picked up there play as of late, the Hurricanes have not.

The standings in the East (4th-8th) are separated by 4 points (1-3 are the division leaders).

Oh I know. That was primarily a response to someone else's statement about being two teams not in contention, and you're right... the entire East is so packed together, everyone's still a contender. I also have ZERO problems with the selection of teams. Should be excellent.

It should be a good game even if you aren't a Sabres or Pens fan.I just hope the weather isn't like it was for the Bills game last week against the giants!!!

Go Sabres