The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hctimo787

2008 NHL Winter Classic

Just went to weather.com to check the forecast; high of 32 and a 40% chance of snow

In upstate NY terms that means get out the shovels!!!! :unsure:

Penguins just defeated Sabres 2-0.

I hope we don't see that same performance in the Ice Bowl. And I'm not just saying that as a Sabres fan who's hoping my team gets a win but that game was boring. We have two teams that are supposed to be fast, high scoring teams and only one goal was scored that entire game, (the 2nd goal was an empty netter).

Hopefully both offenses wake up or it's going to be a disaster. :(

Penguins just defeated Sabres 2-0.

I hope we don't see that same performance in the Ice Bowl. And I'm not just saying that as a Sabres fan who's hoping my team gets a win but that game was boring. We have two teams that are supposed to be fast, high scoring teams and only one goal was scored that entire game, (the 2nd goal was an empty netter).

Hopefully both offenses wake up or it's going to be a disaster. :(

Yeah, I watched that game, and it was really boring. Even though the canes lost, at least it wasn't boring to watch.

Let's hope that the ice bowl game will have more goals.

Go Pens.

Ya know, I was just thinking....why did they use 2 teams from t same division? Why not make it a W-vs.-E game? that would keep more of the US interested. I ahve a feeling the demographics of people watching will be very slim out west.....

Ya know, I was just thinking....why did they use 2 teams from t same division? Why not make it a W-vs.-E game? that would keep more of the US interested. I ahve a feeling the demographics of people watching will be very slim out west.....

They're from different divisions. Pittsburgh's from the Atlantic Division, Buffalo's from the Northeast.

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see the All-Star game played outside in a few years.

They're from different divisions. Pittsburgh's from the Atlantic Division, Buffalo's from the Northeast.

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see the All-Star game played outside in a few years.

ah my bad lol. but still, you see my point...they are so close.....i say take a team like San Jose and pit em against a team like the Lightning, but put em in a snowy/cold environment, that way it is equally painful to both haha.

ah my bad lol. but still, you see my point...they are so close.....i say take a team like San Jose and pit em against a team like the Lightning, but put em in a snowy/cold environment, that way it is equally painful to both haha.

brilliant!

brilliant!

lol thanks! i think that would be a fun game that would get both conferences and opposite sides of the country into it. plus, it would give those guys a chance to play in weather that some of them havent played in hardly any since coming to the NHL (you know, guys who are from cold/snowy countries but play with a team in a very warm environment and rarely make it to a team's arena on a bad day weather wise). put em outside with -20 degree weather and an inch of snow and go at it...

They should, if they do this every year from now on, pick the teams differently. Instead of pre-determining the teams, have the top team in the east play the top in the west. Of course this isn't possible b/c the schedule, but I think that would be cool. I can only wish.. :o

Wow, this is great PR for the NHL...please let there be no questional hits and injuries....please!

Must be a real nice boost to the struggling Buffalo economy as well.

Wow, this is great PR for the NHL...please let there be no questional hits and injuries....please!

Must be a real nice boost to the struggling Buffalo economy as well.

I wanted to at least watch the first part of this game to see how it looks. Then, it took about 5 minutes for me to get ticked off! First outdoor NHL game in the USA right? Then why a Candian national anthem and NO AMERICAN anthem?! They started off with the Canadian anthem, which surprised me since they are in America and there are no Canadian teams playing. Then there was a great rendition of God Bless America. I thought they would slide into OUR anthem right after, but no! They basically called, "Game on!" and that was it! Don't know if I'm being overly sensitive on this, but I shot off an e-mail to NBC. Here's a copy of what I sent, if you're interested! Oh yeah, this is NOT an anti-Canadian post. I am angry that they left our's out, not that they played yours! :)

NBC,

Welcome to Buffalo, Ontario! I am watching the Winter Classic on NBC right now and I can appreciate the playing of the Canadian national anthem for the Canadian viewers and the benefit of the attendees with Buffalo's close proximity to Canada. I also appreciate the excellent rendition of God Bless America. However, to start a professional sporting event in AMERICA without the playing of OUR national anthem was in terribly poor taste! I am appalled and offended, especially as a veteran, to see this happen! It's bad enough that people at events don't pay the proper respect during the playing of the anthem and yet you guys decided to omit it completely. You should be ashamed of yourselves!

Being a bit oversensitive here; I believe the Sabres' practice is to always have the two national anthems. (Wouldn't be a bad practice here b/c most of our players come from that country.) But wasn't the practice of the Broad Street Bullies to bring in Kate Smith to sing "God Bless America" before their big games?