The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hctimo787

2008 NHL Winter Classic

I wanted to at least watch the first part of this game to see how it looks. Then, it took about 5 minutes for me to get ticked off! First outdoor NHL game in the USA right? Then why a Candian national anthem and NO AMERICAN anthem?! They started off with the Canadian anthem, which surprised me since they are in America and there are no Canadian teams playing. Then there was a great rendition of God Bless America. I thought they would slide into OUR anthem right after, but no! They basically called, "Game on!" and that was it! Don't know if I'm being overly sensitive on this, but I shot off an e-mail to NBC. Here's a copy of what I sent, if you're interested! Oh yeah, this is NOT an anti-Canadian post. I am angry that they left our's out, not that they played yours! :)

NBC,

Welcome to Buffalo, Ontario! I am watching the Winter Classic on NBC right now and I can appreciate the playing of the Canadian national anthem for the Canadian viewers and the benefit of the attendees with Buffalo's close proximity to Canada. I also appreciate the excellent rendition of God Bless America. However, to start a professional sporting event in AMERICA without the playing of OUR national anthem was in terribly poor taste! I am appalled and offended, especially as a veteran, to see this happen! It's bad enough that people at events don't pay the proper respect during the playing of the anthem and yet you guys decided to omit it completely. You should be ashamed of yourselves!

I agree the game being played IN America. Seems only fitting and proper to play our National Anthem.

On the other hand, it is a thrilling game to watch. Cudo's to NBC for NHL on pullimg this off. Maybe in the future we can see more of these.

Ya know, I was just thinking....why did they use 2 teams from t same division? Why not make it a W-vs.-E game? that would keep more of the US interested. I ahve a feeling the demographics of people watching will be very slim out west.....

They used Buffalo because they knew they would have the weather needed to support the ice, and probably have some snow to make it all the more fun. They also used Buffalo because it's so close to Toronto, and knew they would get plenty of fans. They used Pitt because NBC and the NHL is not going to do something like this without Sidney Crosby. He is the "face of the NHL" that they are banking on.

Pretty sad that this game could be won on such a questionable call. We'll see...I hope the Pens kill it off and then the game gets decided fairly.

How bout Conklin! After the Stanley Cup fiasco for him in 06, glad that he gets anoter chance to clear his name.

Pretty sad that this game could be won on such a questionable call. We'll see...I hope the Pens kill it off and then the game gets decided fairly.

How bout Conklin! After the Stanley Cup fiasco for him in 06, glad that he gets anoter chance to clear his name.

2 Things:

1. This entire game has been a joke. The weather conditions obviously effected the play, not to mention the ice is breaking up because the stadium isn't used to it.

2. Considering this is suppose to be a "showcase game" to those that might be interested in hockey, and considering the officiating in the league, why wouldn't you end it like that?

2 Things:

1. This entire game has been a joke. The weather conditions obviously effected the play, not to mention the ice is breaking up because the stadium isn't used to it.

2. Considering this is suppose to be a "showcase game" to those that might be interested in hockey, and considering the officiating in the league, why wouldn't you end it like that?

1. it effects both teams, and watching this game with the snowy conditions around is amazing. Talk about playing the game it was meant to be played.

2. Its been a fun game all-around. Conklin killed it off, so whats to complain about

1. it effects both teams, and watching this game with the snowy conditions around is amazing. Talk about playing the game it was meant to be played.

2. Its been a fun game all-around. Conklin killed it off, so whats to complain about

Didn't say it didn't affect both teams. But there were great chances by both teams that were obviously negated by the condition of the ice.

I didn't find this game very interesting. Really, with all the stoppages, and not too many scoring chances, it's just bored me.

I see this game as nothing but a positive for the game. The players and most of the fans are enjoying the game. Its not something you see all the time. I wish they would do this every year. I have thoroughly enjoyed the game, even if Crosby is in it.

So if it comes down to a shoot out, is it good or bad for the "showcased game"?

We'd love it but would the casual fans that just happen to click on NBC and watch like it?

So if it comes down to a shoot out, is it good or bad for the "showcased game"?

We'd love it but would the casual fans that just happen to click on NBC and watch like it?