The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hctimo787

2008 NHL Winter Classic

That game was awesome. The atmosphere, the exciting finish... hopefully that will become a yearly tradition from now on. Props to the Slugs for bringing the Kahlenberg F-3 over to Ralph Wilson Stadium, although you couldn't hear it very well on TV.

Calling all conspiracy theorist!! Mr NHL the next great one wins the shootout!

I thought the game itself was pretty good, besides the long delays, which I know were necessary but really slowed down the pace of game and had me zoning in and out of slumber land. I think the atmosphere and weather were really cool watching them play while it was snowing with 73K fans. Overall pretty good, certainly not a bad thing for the nhl imo.

I see this game as nothing but a positive for the game. The players and most of the fans are enjoying the game. Its not something you see all the time. I wish they would do this every year. I have thoroughly enjoyed the game, even if Crosby is in it.

Great gimmick, but I disagree that this was "nothing but positive" for the league. They showcased the movie Slapshot during one of the intermissions and focused on the goonery of the game that used to be played. Then, when you thought it was all over, they talked to Milbury at length about the goonery of the league. It included his involvement (with video!) with climbing into the stands and beating a fan over the head with a shoe! I am a LONG time fan of hockey and am well aware of those antics and thought they were behind us. I'm shocked that the league would allow NBC to focus on this stuff when they are trying to bring fans to the game. Face reality folks. Non-hockey fans are non-hockey fans because they think hockey players are toothless rednecks that do nothing but fight and cheapshot each other. The only way they will bring new fans to the game is to profile the skill of the players. Playing on crappy ice with an inch of snow on it isn't exactly the forum to do that. Again, great gimmick and it was pretty interesting to see, but not what the game needed. They will of course sell a bunch of those "neat" hats and shirts with the Winter Classic logo! ;)

Ok. Now I know all of you are happy that Buffalo lost. :rolleyes:

BUT ON A SERIOUS NOTE. Did you enjoy the Winter Classic. When I was watching the game and saw those long delays to clean the ice and I thought to myself "here's the part where the viewers switch to College Football." Plus there were only 2 goals scored in regulation.

Did you stay for the entire game or did you fall asleep/switch to something else.

I enjoyed the game itself, (except for Buffalo losing. Oh well we lost in a shootout and get 1 point :P ). BUT the problem was the delays were too long. It took them very long to clean hte Ice and like I said. This is where people leave this game and go to College Football.

How would you rate the entertainment value of this game?

Being a bit oversensitive here; I believe the Sabres' practice is to always have the two national anthems. ......

I don't have a problem with playing BOTH anthems. It's good to show respect to both nations and covers the majority of the players in the league. My point was that they played the Canadian anthem and didn't play the American anthem! :angry: And they were in AMERICA and both teams are AMERICAN, etc, etc..... WEAK!

I thought it was really cool. Unparalleled atmosphere. Awesome visuals. And the game, while a little slow, was pretty good, too, despite all the necessary ice repairs. With some better production, you have an A+ grade. But...

"WHAT A MOVE THERE BY CROSBY!" Let's see exactly WHAT move that was: it was a deke in between two defenders that got taken away and down the ice go the Sabres. I have the same problem with Crosby that I have with guys like Derek Jeter, Brett Favre, LeBron James, and Tim Tebow. While Crosby is a PHENOMENAL talent, he is the overhyped to the point where he can't possibly be as good as the hype because he is indeed NOT God. Let his talent speak for itself. He made a great play to set up the first goal, the puck on the stick stuff there later in the period, and then the shootout goal. AWESOME performance. But when that's ALL the announcers rave about for the majority of the game, it grates on you, particularly when they start raving about things that aren't anything special, such as the move I pointed out above. Same thing to a lesser extent with Ryan Miller. Last I checked there was another netminder, as well... one who got little mention all game, a game he happened to win.

And yeah, the Slap Shot stuff, the going into the crowd stuff... come on, guys. There's NOTHING better you can talk about between periods? You got the most hallowed and revered trophy in all of sports, the best playoffs in all of pro sports, the most unique and exciting game in the world, numerous OTHER players you could spotlight, ALL at your disposal... so let's talk about dumb hockey stuff instead. Thumbs down to NBC on that. Good thing for us is the event stood on its own and I would like to see it annually, as well. Gimmick or no gimmick. Let's see what kind of rating it pulled.

Oh, and the whole Anthem thing didn't bother me at all. I think O Canada should be played before every hockey game regardless of location and teams, and they DID sing God Bless America, which could be argued as a better song than the Star Spangled Banner anyway. They had a Canadian flag and an American flag, so I think most everyone got the point.

I'd comment on the Winter Classic but I was confused. I thought the Pens and Sabres were playing but evidently according to "Doc" only Sydney Crosby was on the ice?

NBC=Nothing But Crosby network.

NBC = Winter Lineups of NHL = NY Teams, NY Teams, NY Teams, The Bruins, and NY area Teams, and Sydney, Sydney, Sydney. Kinda nice you wont even have to check the lineup?

Thought it was a great game...went out to eat in the middle of it and the restaurant I went to had it on...wasn't a sportsbar or anything either...PLUS people were watching it looking all perplexed and everything lol...great game.

I'd comment on the Winter Classic but I was confused. I thought the Pens and Sabres were playing but evidently according to "Doc" only Sydney Crosby was on the ice?

NBC=Nothing But Crosby network.

NBC = Winter Lineups of NHL = NY Teams, NY Teams, NY Teams, The Bruins, and NY area Teams, and Sydney, Sydney, Sydney. Kinda nice you wont even have to check the lineup?

You're forgetting about the Red Wings. <_<

BUT ON A SERIOUS NOTE. Did you enjoy the Winter Classic. When I was watching the game and saw those long delays to clean the ice and I thought to myself "here's the part where the viewers switch to College Football."

That thought occurred to me as well. I stuck with it though, but does anyone know if there similar delays throughout the Heritage Classic as well?

Also, I agree with those who noticed NBC's Crosby fixation was in overdrive today. We know to expect some degree of Crosby love during any telecast of a Pens game, but they really outdid themselves today.

I thought the game was pretty interesting. It's so different from your regular season game, and it clearly made the players very happy to take part in it. It's like when you were 8 years old and you flooded the backyard with water, only..well, not, but still kind of the same thing.

The delays were expected. The rink was built on sand and wood (because of the 9 inch rise in the center of the football field) and they clearly tried to fix the ice as quickly as possible, and it's not something you get to see everyday so I can say that I didn't mind much.

I particularly enjoyed how very unorganized it was, like backyard hockey, again, it was simple and exciting, in my opinion.

You can't imagine the laugh I got when Crosby was sent out last for the shootout and won it... hah..hah.....