The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hctimo787

2008 NHL Winter Classic

"...and our broadcasters also deserve credit for conveying the great atmosphere in Buffalo..."

And conveying the AWESOMELY AWESOMED AWESOMENESS of one OMG~SIDNEY CROSBY!!

2.6 ain't bad, I guess. That's a LOT of eyes that usually don't watch hockey. Now the trick is keeping those eyes without the frosty gimmick. One would hope that if they liked that plodding game yesterday, they'd like the speed, finesse, and physicality of the sport played at full speed.

So after that game,i don't know how anyone can say that the NHL is in trouble,,73 thousand fans in what is considered a small to medium market city,that is unbelievable!!Kudos to all the Sabres/Pens fans who went to the game!!! That is one game i would have loved to be at,no matter how cold or snowy it was.That atmosphere was as electric as any pro-game out there!!Yesterday is probably the 1st day since i moved to NC (12yrs ago)that i wished i still lived in upstate NY.

For the "Cold War" Michigan turns out 70,000 people each year. While it is impressive I'd hardly say it will fix the Atlanta or Nashville markets.

I'm glad the ratings were good as I hope more people will come to love hockey as much as most of us do. Now let's hope they tune in to watch the boys skate on some REAL ice where they can show off their skills! :) We still have a long way to go though. A "share" means that roughly 740,000 people were watching. So take that number times the share and you have the viewership. A 2.6 share means that about 1.9 million people were watching (The U.S. has a little over 111 million TV households). This is good for hockey, but is the same share you would see for a show like Friday Night Smackdown wrestling! Great numbers though considering, when compared only to other hockey telecasts, they are the best ratings in about 10 years! I heard slightly better than Gretzky's last game? Is this true?

Just think.....had half of those 71000 not been able to be there, they would have all been at home watching the game, and probably would have made the ratings even higher...albeit maybe only up to 2.7 or 2.8, but 30,000 people can make a difference in the hockey market.

I think I knew the game must've been a success when I heard them talking about it on Mike & Mike this morning, since usually they never talk about hockey. Ever.

Gimmick or not, at least the NHL is finally getting some sorely needed positive press.

edit:

Top Ten Metered Markets:

1. Buffalo 38.2/58

2. Pittsburgh 17.7/30

3. Minneapolis 5.1/11

4. Denver 3.7/7

T5. Providence 3.5/7

T5. Las Vegas 3.5/6

7. St. Louis 3.3/5

8. Boston 3.2/6

9. Sacramento 2.9/6

T10. Richmond 2.8/5

T10. Hartford 2.8/5

Richmond? Lol, talk about one of the last places I'd guess to be in the top 10.

I think I knew the game must've been a success when I heard them talking about it on Mike & Mike this morning, since usually they never talk about hockey. Ever.

Gimmick or not, at least the NHL is finally getting some sorely needed positive press.

edit:

Richmond? Lol, talk about one of the last places I'd guess to be in the top 10.

Yeah but HARTFORD 10TH!!!!!!.............and they say we don't like our hockey....ahem, Mr.Buttman...hello

...........and please, pay no attention to that Vegas number....those are from betting

Yeah but HARTFORD 10TH!!!!!!.............and they say we don't like our hockey....ahem, Mr.Buttman...hello

...........and please, pay no attention to that Vegas number....those are from betting

[bettman]Nope, nope, nope... this clearly means the next wave of expansion will be to Vegas, Sacramento, and... Richmond. These markets are obviously dying for NHL teams. :P [/bettman]

[bettman]Nope, nope, nope... this clearly means the next wave of expansion will be to Vegas, Sacramento, and... Richmond. These markets are obviously dying for NHL teams. :P [/bettman]

LOL

This should be called "Snow Game" ! Awesome jerseys, and atmosphere at the game. Only thing that is sad for me, that Sabres lost the game. I don't like the games where team which is better loses it! (and Buffalo was better in that one! <_< ).

Buffalo definitely should have won--after all, NBC took pains to point out that most of the refs were from the area. Fair's fair!

As for the game: snooze. Bad ice, too many interruptions, more standing around than playing hockey.

And, the worst was first: "God Bless America" is not our national anthem and it, coupled with black military helicopters and a speech (from an Irishman!) about war in Afghanistan did NOT belong at a sporting event. I watch hockey because I love the game, not because I need reminders about the US Marine Corps, Christian worship, or forgotten wars.

And, the worst was first: "God Bless America" is not our national anthem and it, coupled with black military helicopters and a speech (from an Irishman!) about war in Afghanistan did NOT belong at a sporting event. I watch hockey because I love the game, not because I need reminders about the US Marine Corps, Christian worship, or forgotten wars.

I agree! They could sing the US national anthem! "O, Canada!" was beautiful.

Ditto. Or, bring in John and Trip.

Haha, sometimes I thought I was the only one that didn't like the commentating team on NBC. I don't know their names, but they get annoying. I'd rather watch and listen to either teams' radio commentary.

The game was fun to watch though, the ice patches sucked but it was still fun to see and it would probably be even better to be there taking in the cold.

I would lmao if Bettman tried to expand to Las Vegas, I could probably get a few days out of it at least.