The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Should Sabres start selling?

He would be a good fit here, but he isn't worth the money he's asking. I hear is asking around $5-5.5 Million. He is not worth that in my mind and I don't see us paying him that either.

Brian Campbell is just the type of Dman the Canes need but his price will be high.

SHOULD THE SABRES START SELLING?

BUFFALO NEWS: Bucky Gleason suggests the Sabres should trade defenceman Brian Campbell before the deadline if the club has no intention of re-signing the impending UFA blueliner. Gleason also suggests "turnover machine Maxim Afinogenov" should also be thrown into the equation as he might land a high pick or prospect, as well as Dimitri Kalinin. He lists Chicago, Phoenix, Dallas and Vancouver as potential trade partners.

Spector's Note: Campbell's played well for the Sabres and either trading him or letting him walk tells Sabres fans that the front office isn't serious about retaining their best players and building a winner, which will hurt them at the gate over the long run. It's sad to see this two-time Conference finalist falling apart so quickly.

Uodate:

CAMPBELL PUTS TALKS WITH SABRES ON HOLD.

THE BUFFALO NEWS: reports today Sabres defenceman Brian Campbell has decided he is finished negotiating with the team until the end of the season.

Spector's Note: Hat tip to Paul Kukla. Bad move by the Sabres in my humble opinion. It's believed they could've re-signed Campbell to a five-year, $5 million per season contract. Campbell's value will only rise between now and July 1st, and I suspect he'll test the market to gauge his value. Looks like another potential UFA could be shufflin' out of Buffalo.

Couple of points.

1. The Campbell situation is looking awfully familuar here in Buffalo. :rolleyes:

2. This talks about trading Afinogenov & Kalinin. Yeah Buffalo wants these 2 gone. Afinogenov is a fast skater but he can't control the puck if his life depended on it. And Kalinin has shown signs of brilliance but he has too many assists on our own goal (too many turnovers). Another player we want to trade is Vanek. Our $10 million boy has been a HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT!!!! He was great last year but he is stuggling this year.

3. I think a trade with you guys could be great. You need a defensemen like Campbell. We need to add size to our defense. Maybe we can trade you CAMPBELL FOR COMMODORE????

(But knowing our management we'll probally give you Soupy for a bag of pucks) <_<

Couple of points.

1. The Campbell situation is looking awfully familuar here in Buffalo. :rolleyes:

2. This talks about trading Afinogenov & Kalinin. Yeah Buffalo wants these 2 gone. Afinogenov is a fast skater but he can't control the puck if his life depended on it. And Kalinin has shown signs of brilliance but he has too many assists on our own goal (too many turnovers). Another player we want to trade is Vanek. Our $10 million boy has been a HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT!!!! He was great last year but he is stuggling this year.

3. I think a trade with you guys could be great. You need a defensemen like Campbell. We need to add size to our defense. Maybe we can trade you CAMPBELL FOR COMMODORE????

(But knowing our management we'll probally give you Soupy for a bag of pucks) <_<

Did Vanek ever really stand a chance? With Briere gone and that huge contract sitting over is head, that poor kid never even stood a chance to live up to that contract. Sure, we'll take Vanek and give him some real linemates to play with again :P .

Couple of points.

Did Vanek ever really stand a chance? With Briere gone and that huge contract sitting over is head, that poor kid never even stood a chance to live up to that contract. Sure, we'll take Vanek and give him some real linemates to play with again :P .

Who wants to trade Vanek????

He hasn't had a stellar season like last year, but the kids still young and still has room to grow. He seems to be struggling with some confidence issues this year, but don't give up on him quite yet...

Trade Campbell for as many propects as possible, build for the future IMO, we have a very good goalie coming up, Enroth who was the Sweden goalie in the World Jr's, Nathan Gerbe from BC, and Tim Kennedy from Mich ST. If they don't trade him before the trade deadline they won't get a thing. Campbell is very sought after and the Sabres have the upper hand in the bargininng. I believe Campbell is asking for 6 million :o Sorry for the over analysis lol

BMB- You can't be serious about trading Vanek? You're gonna trade a 23 yr, old who's 42 games into a 7 year contract because he's not producing like he did a year ago? He's going up against top lines unlike last year, where that was Briere's job. He's dominated every level from when he played in Sioux City and was the reason Minnesota won the national championship in 2004 when he was a Sophmore. The guy had 84 pts in his 2nd season in the league. Trading Vanek would be a huge mistake and make our management look more foolish than it already is.

Trade Campbell for as many propects as possible, build for the future IMO, we have a very good goalie coming up, Enroth who was the Sweden goalie in the World Jr's, Nathan Gerbe from BC, and Tim Kennedy from Mich ST. If they don't trade him before the trade deadline they won't get a thing. Campbell is very sought after and the Sabres have the upper hand in the bargininng. I believe Campbell is asking for 6 million :o Sorry for the over analysis lol

BMB- You can't be serious about trading Vanek? You're gonna trade a 23 yr, old who's 42 games into a 7 year contract because he's not producing like he did a year ago? He's going up against top lines unlike last year, where that was Briere's job. He's dominated every level from when he played in Sioux City and was the reason Minnesota won the national championship in 2004 when he was a Sophmore. The guy had 84 pts in his 2nd season in the league. Trading Vanek would be a huge mistake and make our management look more foolish than it already is.

Look at our own message boards. There are a lot of Sabres fans that want Vanek traded, it's not just me.

Looking at how tight the Eastern Confernce is I think the Sabres are a trade or two away from getting back into contention. I'm just looking at some players that are sturggling and seeing who we can get rid of and who we can get back. I'm looking at Vanek, Kalinin & Max because they've been struggling the most. I'm trying to decide who can we trade FOR SOMEONE WHO WILL IMPROVE ON THE WEAKNESSES OF OUR TEAM, SUCH AS A STRONG GRITTY DEFENSEMEN OR FOR SOME VETERAN LEADERSHIP!!!!!

I have seen these people, but they have as much logic as the impatient people who have already given up on Miller because he hasn't been "stealing enough games" and they think that 19 year old Jhonas Enroth, who hasn't even played a hockey game in this continent, is the new savior to our problems. It's just doesn't make sense. Unless we can get something AMAZING in return, there's no sense in trading Vanek, who still has tons of potential. The Sabres clearly have trouble keeping players for extended years, let's not just deal away someone we actually DO have. Trade Max, trade Kalinin, trade Campbell even (I love him, but if he's going to walk let's at least get something for him) but Vanek is someone we shouldn't give up on just yet, IMO.

Tough night again dboon? We feel your pain. I agree with you, Sabres need to keep Vanek and deal off Campbell and a few other spare parts. Like I said earlier, Vanek never had a fighting chance this season to live up to all the expectations. Looks like both our teams may have anew look to them come October.

Tough night again dboon? We feel your pain. I agree with you, Sabres need to keep Vanek and deal off Campbell and a few other spare parts. Like I said earlier, Vanek never had a fighting chance this season to live up to all the expectations. Looks like both our teams may have anew look to them come October.

I just really want management to get SOMEONE, ANYONE, in here.

I was angry that we lost Briere & Drury, but what made this offseason worse was that we got NOBODY in return. And instead of shopping for somebody this team needed management spent $10 million on Vanek.

I am starting to admit that the Sabres are not a playoff team this year :(

I can't wait to see how management responds to this garbage season.

Look at our own message boards. There are a lot of Sabres fans that want Vanek traded, it's not just me.

Looking at how tight the Eastern Confernce is I think the Sabres are a trade or two away from getting back into contention. I'm just looking at some players that are sturggling and seeing who we can get rid of and who we can get back. I'm looking at Vanek, Kalinin & Max because they've been struggling the most. I'm trying to decide who can we trade FOR SOMEONE WHO WILL IMPROVE ON THE WEAKNESSES OF OUR TEAM, SUCH AS A STRONG GRITTY DEFENSEMEN OR FOR SOME VETERAN LEADERSHIP!!!!!

I don't look at our message boards anymore because theirs a new thread everyday saying Fire Ruff, trade Miller, kill Vanek, move the team to Tokyo etc. I do agree with you that Max needs to be traded, and Kalinan can go ABB but trading Vanek would be a huge mistake...

Enroth is looking good however, I like Miller a lot, but after watching Enroth compete the way he did aginst the best of the best in the World Juniors, it makes me wonder who will be the starting goalie here 5 years from now.

I don't look at our message boards anymore because theirs a new thread everyday saying Fire Ruff, trade Miller, kill Vanek, move the team to Tokyo etc.

Hmm...sounds very similiar to another message board ;)

I don't look at our message boards anymore because theirs a new thread everyday saying Fire Ruff, trade Miller, kill Vanek, move the team to Tokyo etc.

Hmm...sounds very similiar to another message board ;)

Exactly Quince, you said a key phrase - 5 years from now. Not you know, next year. I enjoyed watching Enroth play in the WJC, and was excited when I got to see him in person finally at rookie camp over the summer. I just get sick of people throwing players under the bus so quickly.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if Ryan Miller is even still here in 5 years, given this trend with star players. *sigh* :(

lol...hockey news says that Buffalo is on a ten game winless streak and not a ten game losing streak. To me, the question is have they won any of their past ten games or not? And that answer is no.

lol...hockey news says that Buffalo is on a ten game winless streak and not a ten game losing streak. To me, the question is have they won any of their past ten games or not? And that answer is no.

Winless implies that some of the losses came in the shootout, which would've been a tie back during the pre-lockout days.

Man, if you walked into this thread you'd think we were on the Sabres boards.

Back on topic, Colorado's reported to be VERY interested in Campbell.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3198269''>http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3198269' target="_blank">http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3198269[/post]

We're not going to trade him. Sorry but you're going to have to wait until July 1st to MAYBE get Soupy. <_<

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3198269''>http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3198269' target="_blank">http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3198269[/post]

We're not going to trade him. Sorry but you're going to have to wait until July 1st to MAYBE get Soupy. <_<

Well, now your GM's just going to get criticized for yet another case of the Briere/Drury fiascos. You know that given Regier's track record, there's no chance of him coming back to Buffalo. If the Sabres can't re-sign Soupy, do you think that Regier will get fired for letting three UFA's go for nothing when they could've exchanged them for good value?

I've got to feel for you nice Sabres fans.

Well, now your GM's just going to get criticized for yet another case of the Briere/Drury fiascos. You know that given Regier's track record, there's no chance of him coming back to Buffalo. If the Sabres can't re-sign Soupy, do you think that Regier will get fired for letting three UFA's go for nothing when they could've exchanged them for good value?

I've got to feel for you nice Sabres fans.

I like Darcy Regier as a GM to tell you the truth. Ever since he got here in 1997 we got to the Eastern Conferenc Finals 4 TIMES (ALMOST 5) in his tenure. Alot of people blame the Sabres downfall on Darcy's business partner Larry Quinn. I think he should be fired first, and we should let Darcy rebuild this team alone (like he did in 2005.)

I like Darcy Regier as a GM to tell you the truth. Ever since he got here in 1997 we got to the Eastern Conferenc Finals 4 TIMES (ALMOST 5) in his tenure. Alot of people blame the Sabres downfall on Darcy's business partner Larry Quinn. I think he should be fired first, and we should let Darcy rebuild this team alone (like he did in 2005.)

Sorry, Larry Quinn is part owner of the Sabres with Golisano, so the day he leaves the Sabres orginization is the day the Sabres leave Buffalo. He's not going anywhere.

Winless implies that some of the losses came in the shootout, which would've been a tie back during the pre-lockout days.

I know what it meant...lol. Just saying...it's a pretty way of saying "you've failed to win a game in 10 straight tries."

It's just a better way of communicating shootout losses without actually mentioning them. Conversely, a team could be on a 10 game lossless streak, if they went 5-0-5.

Off topic, but hey BUF fans, TELL YOUR SABRES THX FOR RIPPING THE TRASH APART TONIGHT :D