The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
airborne_cane

Osgood's Performance during the All Star weekend

Reprimand? That's laughable (no offense), so no way. This was an All Star Game, a game that means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Goalies get hung out to dry in the ASG because it is a showcase of offensive prowess more than anything else, meaning there is very little team defense played (mostly since no one hits). Osgood looked a lot like Cam Ward to me - a great goal tender when there's good defense being played in front of him, but looks awful when there is zero help in front of him. Osgood certainly did not look as good as the 5 other goalies, but his team is #1 in the league for a reason, and Osgood is a part of that reason with his league-leading 1.87 GAA.

Goalies get hung out to dry in the ASG because it is a showcase of offensive prowess more than anything else, meaning there is very little team defense played (mostly since no one hits). Osgood looked a lot like Cam Ward to me - a great goal tender when there's good defense being played in front of him, but looks awful when there is zero help in front of him. Osgood certainly did not look as good as the 5 other goalies, but his team is #1 in the league for a reason, and Osgood is a part of that reason with his league-leading 1.87 GAA.

I think the most disturbing part of the all-star game was the way both teams D looked like the Canes, just kinda standing around poke-checking. Though I suppose that's unfair to the all-star's they were at least in position.

Why do Osgood and Hasek wear those ugly masks? Is it something Detroit mandates they wear or is Osgood following Hasek's choice. What does everyone think? Give me your opinion. I love seeing a goaltenders painted mask and seeing their different personalities come through.

oh, and I think Osgood may have had a more laid back approach to the game maybe not realizing the other goalies were going to go all out and showcase their talent. Maybe if he didn't start the game and saw the other goalies play he would've played better.

Why do Osgood and Hasek wear those ugly masks? Is it something Detroit mandates they wear or is Osgood following Hasek's choice. What does everyone think? Give me your opinion. I love seeing a goaltenders painted mask and seeing their different personalities come through.

They both have always worn that style mask and wearing an old school cage does allow personality to show through. To me it says more about someone when they do something the rest of the league doesn't than does. But utlimately its probably because thats what they grew up with and are used to more than anything else. Why change it if you are successful.

They both have always worn that style mask and wearing an old school cage does allow personality to show through. To me it says more about someone when they do something the rest of the league doesn't than does. But utlimately its probably because thats what they grew up with and are used to more than anything else. Why change it if you are successful.

Exactly. A goalie should be more concerned with how a mask fits and works for them as opposed to how sleek it looks or how fancy the paint job is on the outside. That's what works for them, and they should stick to it. Also, there are some goalies who try to do too much to their masks in an effort to jam every cool thing in, and in the end it just looks ugly. Not to mention Hasek's mask probably shows more of his face than any other current goalies mask - isn't that personality?

A byproduct of goalies wearing those is personality. Goalies love eyesight, the less obstructed they are the happier they are. Thats why every goalie once they make the pros gets rid of their old face bars and gets a cats eye mask despite the fact in the cats eyes the puck CAN go through if perfectly hit. Ask Boucher :) it came very close.. lol very close

Neither goalie is copying thier just both old school goalies. I would imagine they want more eyesight, being able to see the puck at your feet while your holding the post upright is a big advantage and that masks makes seeing behind the goal easier to without the dern chin peice obstructing your view. Also you get a lot more peripheral vision, the regular goalie masks force you to actually look in the slot to see if someones there, while the cage will allow you to look at the corner of your eye instead.

However if you love nasty ear ringing hits, if you take a puck to that mask you'll hear a marching band in your head the next 10 minutes. The newer masks so far after playing 4 years in them haven't once rung my ears.

If I wanna yell about anyone its Thomas's goofy mask, he's got that obstructing chin peice despite wearing the Osgood/hasek type mask. If your going to obstruct your view anyway, give me a regular mask.

I would say the old style is better but its a really good way to get a concussion, Osgood almost switched in 98 after a scare but obviously you dont teach a old goalie new tricks.