The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
GhoulieGirl

Ovechkin Signs in Washington

Looks like we are really back to pre-lockout money. Makes you wonder what Staal will be getting next year.

Alexander Ovechkin is going to be sticking around Washington for the long haul as he has signed the biggest contract in the history of the NHL Thursday by agreeing to a 13 year extension with the Capitals worth a whopping $124 million.

The Capitals will make an announcement Thursday night at a news conference following the team's Mett the Team Party for season ticket holders.

The Calder Trophy winner is having another outstanding season for the Capitals, leading the team with 32 goals, 52 points and a +6 rating. He is currently 9th in the NHL in scoing. In 206 career games, the Moscow born sniper has fired home 130 goals and picked up 120 assists.

Ovechkin, who was selected first overall by the Capitals in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, was set to become a restricted free-agent at the end of the season. This season he is earning $3.83 million.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=226952&hubname=

Great, 13 more years of him scoring on us... <_<

Of course, he deserves every penny of the deal. Imagine what he'd be like if he had, y'know, an actual team around him.

More to the point: what kind of team will management be able to sign with him commanding approx 9.5 mil/year? Will they be able to keep Semin? This will get interesting. I'd like to see the year-by-year payouts.

Great, 13 more years of him scoring on us... <_<

Of course, he deserves every penny of the deal. Imagine what he'd be like if he had, y'know, an actual team around him.

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.

Don't blink, or you may miss the fact that the Caps are on a pace to pass the Canes for the Division lead by the end of the season, ever since they fired Hanlon and hired Boudreau.

Believe it or not, in my opinion, the Caps have a fairly solid all around team, and have continued their recent winning ways, beating teams like Ottawa (twice), Montreal, and Colorado, even while missing 2 30 goal scorers and their top defenseman for most of the recent games.

More to the point: what kind of team will management be able to sign with him commanding approx 9.5 mil/year? Will they be able to keep Semin? This will get interesting. I'd like to see the year-by-year payouts.

Reportedly the payouts are $9 mil per year for the first 6 years, then $10 mil per year for the next 7.

Oh, they already re-signed Semin earlier in the season, to somewhere around 5 or 6 mil/season edit: actually, a 2 year deal, average $4.6 mil per season - http://dumpnchase.wordpress.com/2007/10/27/semin-signed-and-other-news/' target="_blank">link.[/post]

The one player I worry about re-signing is Mike Green.

I just don't get these incredibly long contracts for big money. One of these guys is going to get an injury and never be the same or turn into one of those players who just stops producing one day. Someone is going to get bit by this and I just hope the Canes don't start making foolhardy moves like this.

Think about it this way Sergei Samsonov scored 20+ goals in all but one of his first five seasons but his offensive output has drastically fallen since then. But with the ways these contracts are getting handed out he would have received a large deal because of his potential after those first few years. I'm not saying Ovechkin and Samsonov are the same level of player, they're not. But Samsonov did seem to have as bright of a future as a guy like Dustin Penner and he got a 5 year deal at $4.25 million a year for less production than Samsonov had.

(Oh and I'm not trying to sound like I don't like Samsonov he's just a convenient example who happens to now be on the Canes.)

Interesting tidbit about the AO contract....

it does NOT include a no-trade clause...

Interesting, but I doubt they would even think about moving him anytime soon. That would just completely kill all of the Caps fans hopes.

I wonder how many FA's they will be able to sign in the offseason, or maybe they will be trying to dump some huge salary guys off at the Trade Deadline.

Interesting, but I doubt they would even think about moving him anytime soon. That would just completely kill all of the Caps fans hopes.

I wonder how many FA's they will be able to sign in the offseason, or maybe they will be trying to dump some huge salary guys off at the Trade Deadline.

And, you know, the fact that there won't be many teams willing to buy out that contract. Anyway, I'm glad for Ovie. He deserves it. When Crosby is up for contract, they'll just give him the entire NHL. They'll be like, "Here, take this. Enjoy it." :)

After Ovechkin, the largest salary contracts in effect for next year are Nylander, Semin and Poti, all of which are between 4 and 5 mil per year. After that, they have Pothier and Kozlov at around $2.5 mil, I think everyone else on the team who is already signed for next season are around or under $1.5 mil.

With the way the Caps have been playing, they will not be sellers at the Trade deadline, but may actually be looking to pick up a solid defensive defenseman.

For next season, I doubt they do much in terms of FA's, except either re-signing Kolzig or upgrading the goalie position. The Caps top 6 forwards and top 4 defensemen are either RFA's or under contract for next season, so they should not have a need to do much in terms of bringing anyone in, just getting the RFA's signed.