The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
IceFrog999

Zednik just got cut...badly

Thanks for the link. It looks like he went limp in his trainer's and teamate's arms just as he went off the ice. [/size]

Well with something like that, you don't want to move any more than needed. He got over to where someone could help him off, he just needed to keep his heart rate down and try to stay calm so the bleeding is as minimal as possible.

Well with something like that, you don't want to move any more than needed. He got over to where someone could help him off, he just needed to keep his heart rate down and try to stay calm so the bleeding is as minimal as possible.

He went limp as in unconscious limp, not I don't want to move limp. It's no wonder with the blood spray across the ice like it was.

He went limp as in unconscious limp, not I don't want to move limp. It's no wonder with the blood spray across the ice like it was.

They said he was conscious all the way to the hospital. One of the medical staff pinched the bleeding to help get him stabilized.....ugh still..I cannot imagine. I am glad they are getting his wife up there so she can see him.

He may have been conscious, but he obviously wasn't "there".

Jokinen, the Panthers' captain, was so shaken by the injury that he thought officials should have stopped the game with 9:56 remaining.

"We shouldn't have finished the game," Jokinen said. "I saw the replay, that it was my skate that hit him in the throat. I think we were all in shock. I've never seen anything like that. There are bigger things than (finishing the game). It was terrifying."

"I didn't think anyone on our team was thinking hockey out there after an injury like that," Jokinen said. "If it was my call, I would have gone to the hospital with him."

Panthers defenseman Steve Montador recalled seeing Zednik in a state of shock as he got to the bench.

"He looked pale, he was obviously standing and to a degree, coherent. But he didn't look as focused as you or I right now. He was staring at nothing," Montador said. "That's a pretty brave guy to realize what's going on: Grab your neck and get off the ice."

Kind of reminds me of the Clint Malarchuk incident, both very scary.

Although there was about a period and a half of hockey left, i think it was unfair for the Panthers to play the rest of that game, the remaining time should've been played on another day, it is really tough to play after something like that happening.

I remember when Jiri Fischer of the Red Wings collapsed on the bench at the Joe against Nashville, the game was postpone din the end and I thought it was the right call, should've done the same here.

I went to the game tonight.

I always hear older people talk about how they were there the night of the Malarchuk incident, and even though I've seen the video, but I could never imagine what the experience was like (I'm 20, so I was little and didn't see it live). I guess now I know.

If I get a too graphic in my post I sincery apologize and mods, feel free to edit it as you wish.

I guess the most intense part was just witnessing everything that was going on all at once. Watching it on TV you get the benefit of the broadcasting giving you updates (well as much as they know), but when you're there you just sit there and watch everything, and the only way to find some sort of info is by calling friends/family at home and whatnot. However, on TV you also don't get the whole picture (although in this case, for good reason). We were up in 326, which is the Sabres end where it happened just to the right. I just remember seeing a collision, and then I remember realizing that he was hurt and that he was bleeding - profusely - and seeing him skate away and watching this "trail" form all the way from that corner to the opposite bench, which was like 2/3 of the ice. It was just insane and something I'll never forget for the rest of my life. I just froze and felt that horrid feeling in the pit of my stomach. The arena just went so silent. When he had gotten to the bench I remember the zamboni entrance opening up and a stretcher started to come out onto the ice, but then it stopped and they moved it back. That kind of confused everyone, but we figured it was because he had already gotten to the hallway. I was just watching all of the players - mostly the Sabres because they were the closest - and even though we were up high, you could still tell how shooken up they were. Jason Pominville just kind of sat by himself on the ice for the longest time away from everyone - on the other side of the "trail" i guess you could say. Ryan Miller was kind of sitting with him too, and I remember at one point the ref went to talk to him and gave him a few pats on the back. I have this really distinct memory of Miller finally deciding to go over to the bench and having to like, hop over the blood to get there. Jesus christ.

Everyone was trying to figure out what they would do about the rest of the game while they were cleaning the ice. We noticed that the head coaches weren't on the bench anymore and later we found out they were meeting in the hallway discussing things. I remember Lindy coming back and addressing the team, and then it was announced that Zednik was at the hospital in stable condition. When everyone stood and applauded, it was such a chilling moment. When that died down everyone lined up for the face off and we were like oh, I guess we're playing again...

And something kind of eerie that happened before the game though, was that I made my brother walk down to the 100 level with me for warmups because I wanted to take some pictures. We were in 104 just a few rows up, which is right next to the Sabres tunnel - right in front of where the incident took place later on. I commented to my brother about how the people coming to sit down in their seats were annoying me because some of them were these fancy ladies that looked like they bored and didn't give a darn even though they had these super nice seats. Later on I said I was glad we didn't actual sit there. Yikes. I can't imagine.

There were a lot of children at the game because it was a Sunday, and I just keep thinking about what it would be like if I was younger, or if I had my own children with me at a game where something like that happened. I'm just so glad he got to the bench and everything ended up ok pretty much.

Nice post DBoone. Im sure it will stay with you for years to come and its good he'll be ok. On TV, it was very eery listening to RJ sound very shaken. He sounded very sure they would call the game at one point when he said Colin Campbell, the Coaches and the Refs were discussing the situation. The players all looked in shock as the zamboni's cleaned the ice. When RJ got the news that Zednik was ok, he hesitated before saying he was stable and it sounded like he was going to say something really bad. I caught myself gasping while he talked. He was pleading for someone to announce in the arena that Zednik was ok and on his way to the hospital. The whole thing was very surreal. As they panned the crowd, I thought of all the kids that were there and wondered if my kids were there, what seeing this would do to them.

Nice post DBoone. Im sure it will stay with you for years to come and its good he'll be ok. On TV, it was very eery listening to RJ sound very shaken. He sounded very sure they would call the game at one point when he said Colin Campbell, the Coaches and the Refs were discussing the situation. The players all looked in shock as the zamboni's cleaned the ice. When RJ got the news that Zednik was ok, he hesitated before saying he was stable and it sounded like he was going to say something really bad. I caught myself gasping while he talked. He was pleading for someone to announce in the arena that Zednik was ok and on his way to the hospital. The whole thing was very surreal. As they panned the crowd, I thought of all the kids that were there and wondered if my kids were there, what seeing this would do to them.

^^ I've never heard RJ's voice like that before ever from a guy that seems like he's going explode everytime the Sabres score to being so lame and dull was very awkward. I usually sit in 103 down in the front rows so I'm sooo glad I didnt go to this game. I would've had a birds eye view of the whole thing. After watching Everett get hurt for the Bills I don't think I could stomach seeing this.

It's unfortunate it takes a tragedy like this to remind people it's only a game and that their are much more important things.

Mods, I think it would be a great gesture if maybe you can start a pinned link with our well wishes and then send it over to him later in the week from the Caniacs.

I agree. Someone should arrange to send it off to him. Perhaps a Get Well thread similar to the Rosey and Willie threads, but in this forum instead?

I was really surprised they didn't postpone the game. :angry:

A few years ago, the Red Wing/Predators game was called when one of the Red Wing players had

a sezure on the bench. The game was continued on a different nite they played.

At the very least, they should have just cancelled the game and gave both teams 1 point.

Posted my well wishes out on the Panthers forum (CarolinaCaniac)

Very scary moment and great to hear Zednik's is stable and doing better. It could have been tragic but thankfully all indications so far is that he will be ok.

I thought the Buffalo fans were extremely classy as was Ruff in his press conference. I'm not sure it was fair to anyone to continue the game but I understand their thinking that the decision was made only after they learned he was stable. Still, it's hard to flip the switch back to playing a game after witnessing it.

Very scary moment and great to hear Zednik's is stable and doing better. It could have been tragic but thankfully all indications so far is that he will be ok.

I thought the Buffalo fans were extremely classy as was Ruff in his press conference. I'm not sure it was fair to anyone to continue the game but I understand their thinking that the decision was made only after they learned he was stable. Still, it's hard to flip the switch back to playing a game after witnessing it.

Agreed, props to the fans in Buffalo because this was quite an unusual situation, and eerily similar to the Kevin Everett inury. After hearing some of the players responses, they should have postponed the game. None of them were in the right mind to focus especially the Panthers. The game was very close and could have gone either way at the time of the injury.

The good news is the pro sports first responders in Buffalo do their jobs quite well. If not, Kevin Everett wouldnt be walking and Richard Zednik...well...you know.

Agreed, props to the fans in Buffalo because this was quite an unusual situation, and eerily similar to the Kevin Everett inury. After hearing some of the players responses, they should have postponed the game. None of them were in the right mind to focus especially the Panthers. The game was very close and could have gone either way at the time of the injury.

The good news is the pro sports first responders in Buffalo do their jobs quite well. If not, Kevin Everett wouldnt be walking and Richard Zednik...well...you know.

I saw the replay and it looked like Zednik was pretty calm considering the circumstances. Knowing me I probably would have fell to the ice and not even think about getting to the bench. Kudos to the Buffalo medical staff. They acted very quickly and no doubt saved this man's life.

This was a big topic on XM this morning. Colin Campbell just happened to be at this game watching his son. After the accident, apparently Colin, the coaches, Bettman, and the refs all discussed what they were going to do whether to postpone the game and finish it at another time or continue to play. After the news that Zednik was in stable condition and headed to the hospital they decided to continue the game. They did leave it up to the coaches and both coaches decided to just get through the rest of the game.

Thankfully his surgery was a success, his wife got there last night, and they said he'll be returning to Florida either later today or tomorrow. Here's hoping to a healthy recovery thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

I was really surprised they didn't postpone the game. :angry:

A few years ago, the Red Wing/Predators game was called when one of the Red Wing players had

a sezure on the bench. The game was continued on a different nite they played.

At the very least, they should have just cancelled the game and gave both teams 1 point.

Posted my well wishes out on the Panthers forum (CarolinaCaniac)

I think they made the right call. After they said that Zednick was in stable condition everyone took a sigh of relief.

Also Buffalo is known to finish games like these. We finished the Clint Malarchuck game, we finished the Kevin Everett game so as long as Zednick was alright I don't see why they wouldn't finish the game.

The Buffalo News says this morning that Richard is listed in stable condition in the ICU there. They said they are still monitoring him very closely and will know more after they re-evaluate him this morning. They are supposed to be having a press conference at the hospital sometime early this afternoon to update everyone.

I still can't believe that happened last night and how eerie it was hearing the silence in the HSBC arena and in RJ's voice.

I can't imagine being there and seeing it all live Steph, that's something that I'm sure will be in everyone's heads for a very long time.

If that doesnt convince me to make my kid wear his neck guard, nothing will.

Me too,,just saw the injury. It scared the life out of me. My boy will be wearing one starting this weekend. I had tears streaming down my face. I also sent a GET WELL WISH to Richard on the Panthers site and posted on their message boards..

REMEMBER: We are all hockey fans in this situation no matter what team we pull for!!!! I hope we acknowledge him this Saturday night.

We shouldn't have finished the game," Jokinen said. "I saw the replay, that it was my skate that hit him in the throat. I think we were all in shock. I've never seen anything like that. There are bigger things than (finishing the game). It was terrifying.

"I didn't think anyone on our team was thinking hockey out there after an injury like that. If it was my call, I would have gone to the hospital with him."

We shouldn't have finished the game," Jokinen said. "I saw the replay, that it was my skate that hit him in the throat. I think we were all in shock. I've never seen anything like that. There are bigger things than (finishing the game). It was terrifying.

"I didn't think anyone on our team was thinking hockey out there after an injury like that. If it was my call, I would have gone to the hospital with him."

I read that quote from Jokinen this morning and I felt so badly for him. That has to be a horrible feeling to realize it was your skate that did it even though it was completely accidental.

I posted on the Panthers board this morning and it's really nice to see so many fans from so many fanbases going on there and wishing Zednik well and they are really appreciating it as well.

Wow...glad to hear he is ok. Question to anyone who knows Re: continuing the game. All the players comments i have seen talk about it being hard to focus afterwards (talk about understatements). Even tho the "powers that be" decided to continue...if the players themselves decided to not continue...would or could some type of punishment be done to them for not finishing the game?

Wow...glad to hear he is ok. Question to anyone who knows Re: continuing the game. All the players comments i have seen talk about it being hard to focus afterwards (talk about understatements). Even tho the "powers that be" decided to continue...if the players themselves decided to not continue...would or could some type of punishment be done to them for not finishing the game?

I dont know but I really dont think anyone would blame Jokinen if he just left for the hospital. I think everyone there(including coaches and Colin Campbell) was in a state of shock and couldnt possibly make a rational decison at the time. IMO, they should have postponed it. Im sure things look a lot different now that theyve had some time to digest what went on.

Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said he too wouldn't have been against the game being stopped. "I don't know if there is a right answer, I don't know. I can fully understand if they wanted to cancel the whole game," Ruff said.

"It was pretty solemn. There wasn't a lot being said. There was just more concern for Richard than anything else. When you see something like that, it isn't about playing anymore. But I said, we're going to finish the game and it's going to be what it's going to be."

I dont know but I really dont think anyone would blame Jokinen if he just left for the hospital. I think everyone there(including coaches and Colin Campbell) was in a state of shock and couldnt possibly make a rational decison at the time. IMO, they should have postponed it. Im sure things look a lot different now that theyve had some time to digest what went on.

Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said he too wouldn't have been against the game being stopped. "I don't know if there is a right answer, I don't know. I can fully understand if they wanted to cancel the whole game," Ruff said.

"It was pretty solemn. There wasn't a lot being said. There was just more concern for Richard than anything else. When you see something like that, it isn't about playing anymore. But I said, we're going to finish the game and it's going to be what it's going to be."