The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
storm-rider

Brodeur's Circus

In Brodeur's defense...

There have been a tremendous amount of rule changes that have favoured players over the goalies. Increased Power plays, the trapezoid, goalie equipment, the failure to act upon those hybrid sticks, over the glass penalty. All these things together are meant to increase scoring and really take goalie statistics back a couple decades. I'm a fan of the rule changes and admit that Brodeur does look like a suck, but he does have a point. Does Ovechkin "really" need a tinted visor? Is the "sun" getting in his eyes? In an NHL with no obstruction, defensmen and goalies rely on shoulder movement and eye contact to help read the play of his opponent. Goalies rely on the latter very much so. In my opinion, tinted visors just seem like another cheap cosmetic ploy like when players used to try and tape the blade of their sticks with black and white stick tape to give off a checkered pattern and fool the goalie.

I can't respect Brodeur, as he constantly gets away with flopping to the ice whenever an opposing player gets within a few feet of him, usually resulting in a goalie interference call.

There is no doubt the rule changes have made it more challenging for goaltenders. They frankly just got too good, especially the puck handlers like Brodeur, and the NHL wanted to get more offense into the game.

Brodeur is an elite-level guy and even if he feels it's right to lobby against trick moves in shoot-outs or Ovechkin's tinted visor he needs to just keep quiet about it. I might expect a second rate guy to whine but Marty needs to rise above it in my opinion.

All players try to get an edge including Brodeur, who doesn't hesitate to slash guys skating too close to "his" crease. So what if Ovechkin wears a tinted visor? It's not illegal just as screening a goalie with traffic isn't illegal.

It just comes across as too much crying. We know the challenges are greater these days in net but many people think you gain respect by just playing rather than complaining. My .02 anyway.

Most rules in the league, dealing with contact, favor the goaltender.

There's also a reason they call that trapezoid behind the net "Brodeur's Box". And that is that he used to come out to play the puck, knowing that he's the goalie and can't be hit, even in the corners.

All players try to get an edge including Brodeur, who doesn't hesitate to slash guys skating too close to "his" crease. So what if Ovechkin wears a tinted visor? It's not illegal just as screening a goalie with traffic isn't illegal.

It's important to note that Brodeur uses some of the smallest goalie equipment in the league. When the new rules came in for goalie equipment measurements, Brodeur I think was one of the only starting goalies who didn't have to change his equipment....so it's kind of hard to call Brodeur a hypocrite about trying to always gain the cheap competitve edge.

It doesn't seem like either of us are a goalie, but my buddy who does play goal tells me that if every player in the league were to start using visors, there would be a lot more goals. On a break away, goalies don't stare at the puck....they keep the puck in sight but I'm pretty sure they keep close observation of the players chest and eyes

It's important to note that Brodeur uses some of the smallest goalie equipment in the league. When the new rules came in for goalie equipment measurements, Brodeur I think was one of the only starting goalies who didn't have to change his equipment....so it's kind of hard to call Brodeur a hypocrite about trying to always gain the cheap competitve edge.

It doesn't seem like either of us are a goalie, but my buddy who does play goal tells me that if every player in the league were to start using visors, there would be a lot more goals. On a break away, goalies don't stare at the puck....they keep the puck in sight but I'm pretty sure they keep close observation of the players chest and eyes

If I remember he said he didn't feel as mobile with the bigger pads or something like that. The larger pads weren't an advantage to him apparently.

Regardless though the things I was referring to were his slashes and dives which are illegal whereas he is complaining about things that are legal.

I just think guys of his caliber are too good to lower themselves to whining like that. Or at least not in public.

Regardless though the things I was referring to were his slashes and dives which are illegal whereas he is complaining about things that are legal.

Every goalie does this though. Ron Hextall made a career out of it. I think the difference here is, I don't think Brodeur is complaining, he's stating the truth. The NHL is so overly concerned with increasing their exposure and the excitement of the games to make the sport more popular, that they might be hurting the game in the long run.

On saturday night Brett Hull said in an interview that the NHL has pracitcally become a sissy sport. I think he used the words "Gentleman's game" to be more correct. It's not just Brodeur taking shots at the rules and regulations.

Lemieux was complaining about obstruction since the early 90s and everyone called him a cry baby and a suck. Now 15 years later everyone is admitting that he was right.

Marty, just play the game and stop the constant crying. The comment about Ovechkin's visor is comical. Maybe in his perfect world giuys will have to call out the spot they are aiming at before the shoot-out, similar to calling the corner pocket in pool.

"Marty, I'm thinking forehand deke and then going backhand on your blocker side high...is that ok?"

That made me laugh!! Thanks for making my night!! :D

If a forward pushes a goalie over during a regular play and then scores, it would be waved off and an interference penalty would be called. Why should the shootout be any different? Would it be OK if the player threw his stick at the goalie and then kicked the puck into the net? Somebody had to come out and say it, and who better than the best player of all time? He alone is on the competition committee for the goalkeepers, and one of the NHLs new rules was targeted directly at putting him at a disadvantage. He has every right to complain about goalkeepers being pushed over in shootouts because he's the one guy in the position to actually cause something to happen. If Wardo wrote the letter, it wouldn't even be looked at.

First, I agree w/ Marty about contact w/ the goalie during a shootout, and while I think AO is a little cheap for using that visor, I don't think its worthy of a complaint.

BTW, about the lacross style shots. I don't want them in NHL shootouts, but wouldn't it be fun to see ocasional goals like this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1...&q=amazing+goal

I look also at the fact that the new rules have made it much more dangerous for the goalies. The forwards are coming in at full speed and if either player miscalculates, it's usually the goalie who ends up hurting the most. I like and respect Brodeur a lot and if he has a complaint, it's usually with good reason and isn't just for his benefit but for goalies in general. In his book, he mentioned the dangers they faced, especially with the new rules and the NHL wanting to make the game higher scoring.

Then again, I'll side with goalies... They're my favorite players in the game

If a forward pushes a goalie over during a regular play and then scores, it would be waved off and an interference penalty would be called. Why should the shootout be any different? Would it be OK if the player threw his stick at the goalie and then kicked the puck into the net?

I agree with you that there shouldn't be two standards but in the instance that Brodeur complained about, the Bouchard spin-o-rama against Khabibulin, I think it would be a good goal during regular play.

When you watch the replay there is clearly some skate to skate contact but by that time Khabibulin had been so badly fooled he was out of position left the net wide open. He admitted he was completely fooled and of course complained but that isn't a surprise after getting left holding your jock on the ice.

The irony is that Bouchard used Savard's patented move against him for the winner.

In case anyone wants to see it again....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqNSfxFQtQQ...related&search=

First, I agree w/ Marty about contact w/ the goalie during a shootout, and while I think AO is a little cheap for using that visor, I don't think its worthy of a complaint.

BTW, about the lacross style shots. I don't want them in NHL shootouts, but wouldn't it be fun to see ocasional goals like this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1...&q=amazing+goal

That was an incredible shot and I hadn't seen it before so thanks for posting it. When I first saw your comment about a lacrosse style shot I thought you were going to show the University of Michigan shot from a few years ago. It happened during the course of the game and the guy cradles the puck against the stick after picking it up off the ice and stuffs it right past the goaltender using his backhand.

The Bouchard shot is fine in my opinion. I think Brodeur is using it as an example of something that can excalate, since he is sort of crashing the net.

I remember seeing the michigan goal, Crosby did the same thing a few months later but while moving.

The Bouchard shot is fine in my opinion. I think Brodeur is using it as an example of something that can excalate, since he is sort of crashing the net.

I remember seeing the michigan goal, Crosby did the same thing a few months later but while moving.

Maybe, but according to the article he specifically used that goal as an example to question "contact" with a goalie.

I must have missed the Crosby goal, although I did see him part a PK the other night and go through all 4 defenders to score.

Crosby did it in the QMJHL before he was even drafted by the Pens....he was probably 16 when he did it. It got a lot of publicity up here, one because it was Crosby and two a lot of people were upset. Moves like that are quickly labelled showboating and create tensions on the ice.

I remember that. Crosby got face washed for doing that (although I enjoyed the goal). A lot of people thought is was kinda cheap. I remember reading an article that said called him 'arrogant and stuck up' for doing something like that. Personally I don't see whats wrong with it. If you can push the puck across the goal line with your stick, why does it make a difference if its in the air. Its different if you throw the puck lacross style.

I remember that. Crosby got face washed for doing that (although I enjoyed the goal). A lot of people thought is was kinda cheap. I remember reading an article that said called him 'arrogant and stuck up' for doing something like that. Personally I don't see whats wrong with it. If you can push the puck across the goal line with your stick, why does it make a difference if its in the air. Its different if you throw the puck lacross style.

I agree as long as it's directed in off the stick, and here is the Michigan goal that was referenced earlier...

The thing I find really funny about those lacrosse style shots is the player commiting the act really has to put his guard down. If that move became popular behind the net in the NHL, I could easily see a defensman waiting for it and then leveling the guy on the ice.

It's a cheap move, and I won't change my mind about it. If they are going to allow those types of shots in NHL shootouts, then goalies should be able to initiate contact and commit a charging poke check when the player innitiates the move.

As for Khabibulin....after watching it again....Khabibulin got fooled, but even if he didn't get fooled, Bouchard was interfering with his path to the puck.

What I'm debating about is, if Khabibulin didn't get fooled, would he have had adequate time to react and save the puck before Bouchard made contact?