The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
panama7996

Canes memorabilia on Ebay

I haven't ever bought anything signed on ebay and don't plan on it... Most signed items are from a few people who drive the Canes crazy asking for their signatures all the time just so they can sell it on ebay... To me that is not cool, but as far as I know it's usually the real thing.

I've bought plenty of Canes stuff on ebay...but only about 3 cards that were signed ( to fill in a collection ). The rest was just "stuff". I've always had real good luck having them sign at practices ( as late as this past season ) or after games ( though that was a few years back )

When buying on ebay, as a general rule, I look at their feedback, how long they've been on ebay, I read some of their feedback and maybe shoot them a question - to judge their personality. Unless it was like a Great One / Mario etc..chances are it is real...

Hope this helps!

Hi Caniacs!!

Just wanted to ask if anyone has bought Canes SIGNED memorabilia on Ebay before.

I seen a few items from one seller and other one thats looks great and legitment.

Any advice or any precautions I should take?

Thought Id ask here before I took a crack at it.

Here the link of some items Im looking at (try not to steal them first lol)

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/datkmtart' target="_blank">Canes signed memorabilia on Ebay[/post]

I bought a patch from the seller, so in that regards,I know hes reputable but autographs are a little different.

Im about 100% sure the autographs are legitment but wanted some opinions.

Thanks and look forward to any advice that you can give me!!

Never bought signed stuff & like C4Er said seen the track down by ebayers/sellers. Rather get my own COA as I watch them sign. FYI several of the patches I have bought on ebay have been "homemade", sometimes you can't tell till it arrives and the seller doesn't /won't disclose that. But I learned to ask more questions.

Well i actually looked at what memorabilia was there....the ones where he says he will send you pictures of them signing, probably legit i guess.

The Tim gleason used stick.. I don't know how someone can prove if it was used or not...I'd be curious and ask him how he got the stick, does the guy just bother him for one of his hockey sticks.

As far as the Gleason game used stick, they generally will have the player's name on the stick, though it could be a practice stick like they sell in the EYE store.

If the seller guarantees them item is authentic and offers a money back guarantee, you can't go wrong.

I looked at the autographs this seller has on the All Star jersey. I recognized Craig Adam's sig, his is pretty distinguishable. Cam Wards is real too.

Of the team signed hockey stick, Cory Stillman and Ray Whitney's look authentic too (on the blade of the stick)

Be very careful buying memorabilia off eBay, especially from people who "State" they got the item signed in person. Some of them are scams and the sigs are forgeries.

I bought a jersey from a guy during the SCF, signed by the team. Being a collector and an autograph hound for over 20 years, I've seen a lot of good and bad.

I have a ton of autographs from Canes players (as well as other sports), I compared the signatures on his item with mine and found them to be pretty genuine.

But, when I got the item, the jersey was a knock off, not a replica or authentic.

Question the seller. Ask them where and when they got the autographs or where they got the item in question.

You will see a lot of times, auctions where they have pictures of the players signing an item. Be a little weary of this, as you do not know exactly when and where those occured.

With that being said, there are some reputable people on eBay with authentic items, you just have to sift through the other guys before finding one.

Finally, any item said to have come from Steiner Sports, Frozen Pond is authentic, as they do private signings with the athletes all the time.

Legends Autographs in Clayton, NC has authentic stuff, but he is a little pricey. I went to a couple private signings he had with some of the Canes players a while back

As far as the Gleason game used stick, they generally will have the player's name on the stick, though it could be a practice stick like they sell in the EYE store.

If the seller guarantees them item is authentic and offers a money back guarantee, you can't go wrong.

I looked at the autographs this seller has on the All Star jersey. I recognized Craig Adam's sig, his is pretty distinguishable. Cam Wards is real too.

Of the team signed hockey stick, Cory Stillman and Ray Whitney's look authentic too (on the blade of the stick)

Be very careful buying memorabilia off eBay, especially from people who "State" they got the item signed in person. Some of them are scams and the sigs are forgeries.

I bought a jersey from a guy during the SCF, signed by the team. Being a collector and an autograph hound for over 20 years, I've seen a lot of good and bad.

I have a ton of autographs from Canes players (as well as other sports), I compared the signatures on his item with mine and found them to be pretty genuine.

But, when I got the item, the jersey was a knock off, not a replica or authentic.

Question the seller. Ask them where and when they got the autographs or where they got the item in question.

You will see a lot of times, auctions where they have pictures of the players signing an item. Be a little weary of this, as you do not know exactly when and where those occured.

With that being said, there are some reputable people on eBay with authentic items, you just have to sift through the other guys before finding one.

Finally, any item said to have come from Steiner Sports, Frozen Pond is authentic, as they do private signings with the athletes all the time.

Legends Autographs in Clayton, NC has authentic stuff, but he is a little pricey. I went to a couple private signings he had with some of the Canes players a while back

Thanks for the insight.

I asked where he got them and he says he been a full season ticket holder for numerous years and got most of his signings through the ticket party.

The other items he says he has bought and of the same authentic siginings he has done personally.

He said he actually has more stuff that he hasnt listed collected over the years such as silent auctions hes won at games etc.

He didnt want to part with any of it but hard time have arose and wants to be able to commit all the tools his son needs to get through hockey camps and seasons.

I actually spoke with him on the phone and seems to be a genuine Caniac.

I went ahead and bought one of his items so will follow up in a day or two

Thanks guys!!

also, its alot more fun, if its possible for you, to go to the practices and games and get them from the players themselves. That way you know its legit! ;)

How is that fun??

Yeah, the stick was 100% authentic, I got from datkmtart on ebay.

So no worries.

Im trying to get him to come off the price though on the all star jersey he has.

The only autographs that are 100% legit are ones obtained in person, and those cease to be 100% legit the moment they transfer ownership. There is no certificate of authenticity, sworn statement, honest-sounding explanation, long history of sales, official entity, or anything other than seeing it signed yourself and holding on to it tightly, that truly guarantees an autograph was signed by the person indicated.

It doesn't mean that the person selling the item is misrepresenting it.. and of course many of the items are authentically signed.. but the assurance of authenticity will always be less than 100% if you didn't get it yourself. I have a signed Staal puck, provided by the Canes. Is it authentic? Well, most would consider an official Canes puck sent by the organization directly to me to be 100% authentic. The simple truth is, it could have been signed by a kid who lives on the same street as Eric, who was paid to take care of the box of stuff sent to him for signing.

If I have an autographed item that was obtained by me, I treasure it greatly. That is because I value the encounter that I had, where an world-class athlete took a few minutes of their time to interact with me, or my children, and the autograph is an ever-present reminder of that moment.

umm....not 100% true. The autos from Upper Deck and other card companies have a disclaimer/coa on the back of them tell you how the player signed them. But I know what your getting at about other items being signed.

The only autographs that are 100% legit are ones obtained in person, and those cease to be 100% legit the moment they transfer ownership. There is no certificate of authenticity, sworn statement, honest-sounding explanation, long history of sales, official entity, or anything other than seeing it signed yourself and holding on to it tightly, that truly guarantees an autograph was signed by the person indicated...........

I bought an autographed poster of Wesley off Ebay for my son one week before he announced his retirement for around 15 bucs. I was lucky with my timing. I know his signature and it's his. I don't really care how he got it, it has been rare and difficult to get autographs from Wesley the last couple of years. The only problem I had was I had to pay a little extra postage when it came in, other than that, no problems here and happy!