The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Power Rankings, Fact or Fiction?

It really depends on what it is based on. Some power rankings are based almost soley on opinion and some are based on statistics. I don't think they really can be considered legit unless an explanation can be given as to how teams are ranked.

It really depends on what it is based on. Some power rankings are based almost soley on opinion and some are based on statistics. I don't think they really can be considered legit unless an explanation can be given as to how teams are ranked.

Couldn't agree more. In my eyes they only gauge what the medias' opinions are or what a computer generates. Hockey is so much more about intangibles than anything on paper.

But they are fun to look at when your team is doing very well ;) Last year...not so much.

Couldn't agree more. In my eyes they only gauge what the medias' opinions are or what a computer generates. Hockey is so much more about intangibles than anything on paper.

But they are fun to look at when your team is doing very well ;) Last year...not so much.

Jack Johnson holding down the blueline? :lol:

The Kings are off to their worst start in two decades mainly because they've allowed 22 goals in the last four games.

Ironic isn't it? Please no JJ talk here though, just got it stopped in another thread.

Jack Johnson holding down the blueline? :lol:

The Kings are off to their worst start in two decades mainly because they've allowed 22 goals in the last four games.

Ironic isn't it? Please no JJ talk here though, just got it stopped in another thread.

Somehow I believe that if we played say Tampa, Jersey, Buffalo and went 3-0 rather than going 3-0 against Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal we wouldn't be anywhere near the Top 10.

I've been watching a lot of NHL Center Ice, and right now there are 2 or 3 teams, tops, playing as well as the Canes have in their 6 games. Minnesota is very good and Ottawa can skate with us stride for stride, but other than that, right now, we're playing as well as anyone in the league, which is what the power rankings are - who is playing the best thus far into the season. They don't give trophies for that, but I'd sure rather be Carolina right now than Atlanta.

Good question, i actually wrote power rankings for a popular sports pick site. It was a good way to earn some extra cash while in university, and I wanted to see how well i could do on the power rankings. Mine was more detailed than theirs and probably more well-though out but in the end its all opinion. Some use power rankings that uses these ridiculous combination of stats to make rankings

The ones based on opinions are the best. however, I'd never move a team from a rank of 19 to 2 , if you do that then your opinion has changed way too drastically. The rankings are really really hard to do, and people go nuts when you rank their teams lower than expected. I recall having trouble with two teams last season, Vancouver and Montreal. Those teams bounced around all year, but I'd never move anyone up 17 spots in a ranking cause it could just be a hot streak. You should move them up gradually, I mean I don't even think canes are the 2nd best team in the nHL at the moment, they are one of the hottest team but they still gotta play at least a solid month of hockey like this to be in the top 5, thats my honest opinion.

The ones based on opinions are the best. however, I'd never move a team from a rank of 19 to 2 , if you do that then your opinion has changed way too drastically.

You probably would only see movement like this at the very beginning of the season as the pre-season rankings are really paper and historical stats.

You probably would only see movement like this at the very beginning of the season as the pre-season rankings are really paper and historical stats.

That's true, but you should still be strict cause it so early in the season , and one team can have an easy schedule vs. a hard schedule. For instance, I think if you had Anaheim in the top 5 before the season started you wouldn't take them down to 27th place (which tsn did). Yea they got off to a rough start with some injuries, but they'll be abck in the top 10 by nest week easily. I lose respect for rankings like that.

That's true, but you should still be strict cause it so early in the season , and one team can have an easy schedule vs. a hard schedule. For instance, I think if you had Anaheim in the top 5 before the season started you wouldn't take them down to 27th place (which tsn did). Yea they got off to a rough start with some injuries, but they'll be abck in the top 10 by nest week easily. I lose respect for rankings like that.

Yeah, but who really knows at this point what an easy schedule or a hard schedule is...?

...You should move them up gradually, I mean I don't even think canes are the 2nd best team in the nHL at the moment, they are one of the hottest team but they still gotta play at least a solid month of hockey like this to be in the top 5, thats my honest opinion.

I totally agree. But, since no team has completed a full month yet, not to mention a solid one, how could you justify putting any team in the top 5 ranks unless you make bias choices?