The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Power Rankings, Fact or Fiction?

:lol: a little gloating's ok

I'm anxious to see how we do when we face the Wild & the Wings

we have a month till Detroit and 4 till Minnesota. Alot can happen in that kinda of time. Hopefully we will still be fighitng for that top spot in the league, or be in it, and they will be just kinda there below us somewhere lol. same goes for Ottawa, who we play again the next game after Detroit, and then in January, and then in March again.....

lets be honest here....the SE sucks!!! ....oh, wait, except for us!!! im glad we can leave everyone else behind this year, as last year was a joke for us in our division. thank goodness for us we beat Ottawa. i think all other 4 teams in the SE will come around and level out. I think it will be a level playing field, and then us at the top. as far as the east is concerned, well lets put it this way....4 of the 8 who would not make the playoffs if we were to go into the playoffs RIGHT NOW are from the SE.

Not so sure about the SE coming around. Panthers have the best chance of clawing there way into the playoffs. Atlanta does seem to be having a bit of resurgence since the firing of Waddell, but how many more games can Kovulchuk score a hat trick to carry the team by himself? Washington needs to stop the injury bug in its tracks but as long as OV keeps taking out his own players, thats not happening. Tampa...until they find themselves a goaltender, which will require them to dump the salary of one of the big three, I don't see them making a huge run for it.

If the Canes don't blow out this division, I'll be very surprised and only because of the sad state the SE division is in right now. Not that I want tough competition, but I do like the SE division to show well.

lets be honest here....the SE sucks!!! ....oh, wait, except for us!!! im glad we can leave everyone else behind this year, as last year was a joke for us in our division. thank goodness for us we beat Ottawa. i think all other 4 teams in the SE will come around and level out. I think it will be a level playing field, and then us at the top. as far as the east is concerned, well lets put it this way....4 of the 8 who would not make the playoffs if we were to go into the playoffs RIGHT NOW are from the SE.

Not so sure about the SE coming around. Panthers have the best chance of clawing there way into the playoffs. Atlanta does seem to be having a bit of resurgence since the firing of Waddell, but how many more games can Kovulchuk score a hat trick to carry the team by himself? Washington needs to stop the injury bug in its tracks but as long as OV keeps taking out his own players, thats not happening. Tampa...until they find themselves a goaltender, which will require them to dump the salary of one of the big three, I don't see them making a huge run for it.

If the Canes don't blow out this division, I'll be very surprised and only because of the sad state the SE division is in right now. Not that I want tough competition, but I do like the SE division to show well.

we have a month till Detroit and 4 till Minnesota. Alot can happen in that kinda of time. Hopefully we will still be fighitng for that top spot in the league, or be in it, and they will be just kinda there below us somewhere lol. same goes for Ottawa, who we play again the next game after Detroit, and then in January, and then in March again.....

I know a lot can happen but the Wild and Wings have both been considerably better than any of the teams we'll be facing in the SE division right now.

they have, but we have been better than Minnesota, and Detroit, although on a winning streak, hasn't scored a WHOLE lot, and we have seen that Cam can stand on his head and hold his own against a team with many potent goal scorers.

Very true....

I guess what I'm saying is....Montreal and Carolina are pretty much par in the standings, but Carolina doesn't have Ottawa overshadowing their accomplishments....(Although I still think Montreal is overachieving at the moment).

Interesting "asterik" stat on Ottowa's record. They're the only team to play at home twice as many times than on the road.

December will find them on the road for most of the month. The Hurricanes need to win out the rest of November.

Updated for this week. Not suprise that the Canes have lost a little ground but it doesn't appear that the computers or rankers have thrown in the towel on us yet:

Nice to see that everyone hasn't given up on us yet.

aren't these 2 comments, like, the exact same thing? i mean, pretty much, right?

Canes are still sitting pretty low inthe NHL power rankings but I thought the trade evaluations done by Yahoo sports was interesting.

Here's the grade for the Canes:

7. Carolina Hurricanes

Canes are still sitting pretty low inthe NHL power rankings but I thought the trade evaluations done by Yahoo sports was interesting.

Here's the grade for the Canes:

7. Carolina Hurricanes

Ugh, the Caps looked great in their last game. Huet looked very good and Fedorov seemed to already be clicking, almost an exact opposite of what we saw against the Rangers. Hopefully the 'Canes can turn around from last game and get it done against Tampa Bay.

Interesting to see what he wrote about Roddy, since he doesn't really have a chance to come back, is he dooming the 'Canes?

Just to give an update on the Power Rankings, we dropped from 21st to 22nd, despite going 7-2-1. Meanwhile, the Capitals, who went 4-3-3, jumped from 27th to 18th. Oh, and our only key injuries are Williams and D-berg. Apparently, Rod's fine and dandy.

Keep this up, TSN, and I might have to stop taking your power rankings seriously :lol:

Just to give an update on the Power Rankings, we dropped from 21st to 22nd, despite going 7-2-1. Meanwhile, the Capitals, who went 4-3-3, jumped from 27th to 18th. Oh, and our only key injuries are Williams and D-berg. Apparently, Rod's fine and dandy.

Keep this up, TSN, and I might have to stop taking your power rankings seriously :lol:

Don't worry we're still 22nd...and I emailed Scott Cullen about it:

Scott,

The Hurricanes are one of the hottest teams in the NHL, and you moved them up a whopping two spots in your latest power rankings...what gives? The Coyotes, Caps, Flyers, Sabres, and Blackhawks all don't belong in front of a team that's won like 8 out of the last 10 games...I'm especially disappointed that you'd still put the Caps at a higher spot...they're falling off fast and the 'Canes are by far the team to beat in the SE division...everybody's love affair with Ovechkin and the Caps needs to stop as they just aren't special anymore. Another head scratcher would be the 'Hawks...you have them at the #12 position...even though they're just 4 games over .500. Yes, their record has been good of late...but guess what...the 'Canes have also been winning a lot lately and are 8 games over .500. Just wondering why you keep the 'Canes down in the cellar...

Thanks,

Ron Olson

Cary, NC

Response:

Ron,

The Hurricanes are also playing a ton of their games at home, so that's part of the reason they're so "hot".

The Capitals made more significant acquisitions at the trade deadline and haven't had as many significant injuries as Carolina. That's why they are ranked ahead despite being behind in the standings. It has no more to do with Ovechkin than Carolina's ranking is only about Staal.

Chicago is a different team with a healthy Jonathan Toews and they have several young players in prominent roles that haven't played the entire season (thus the difference between their current placement in the rankings and their spot in the standings).

The bottom line for Carolina is that they have still allowed more goals than they've scored and have lost some important contributors to injury and, in most circumstances, that leads to a mediocre ranking.

Regards,

Scott Cullen | On-line Producer, TSN.ca | scullen@tsn.ca

Seems to me that he focuses more on roster moves than actual play...what do you guys think?

Seems to me that he focuses more on roster moves than actual play...what do you guys think?

Well, Marty St. Louis and Vinny Lecavalier are both great players....TB should DEFINITELY be ranked #1 then. Put the Washington Ovechkins coming in at 2nd and the Pens and Sid at 3.

What a joke.