The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
pilige

Who should be MVP

Not an easy decision. I voted Brodeur because the Devils can't score enough goals to win games with any other goaltender. The Devils are consistently a top team, by and large, because of Brodeur's goaltending. He's carried the Devils on his back for a long while now.

Ovechkin in my book is an extremely close 2nd to Marty. Without Ovie, I don't imagine Washington would be nipping at our heels right now, and for a casual bandwagon fan, there isn't much else incentive to pay money for tickets to a Caps game than to see Ovie play in person. Ticket sales aren't important to a team, but they are important to a franchise. Washington needs Ovie.

Staal and Malkin, though they wouldn't be outlandish nominees, aren't the same level of MVP of Brodeur or Ovechkin. Staal and Malkin are definitely MVPs of their teams, but the award goes to the GREATEST MVP of any team in the league. Just ask yourself. Where would NJ or WASH be without those two guys? Now, where do you think PIT or CAR would be without the other two guys? I'd have to say that NJ and WASH would be worse off than PIT and CAR.

As much as I hate to say it, Lidstrom wouldn't be a bad nominee for this either. Just look how badly the Wings absolutely TANKED when he was out.

Have to go with Brodeur. NJ has won a lot of games because of him and not really any other reason. As much as I don't like like Ovechkin (unless we can get him to play for us :rolleyes: ) I think Washington is in the same boat. His presence on the ice opens up more space for everyone else, even when he's not scoring. I think Staalsy wasted too much of the early season as far as his play goes. His real impact didn't show until after the allstar break. I think if he continues the way he is now into next season, he 's definitely a top consideration.

Ok well....

Alex the "great" is really good. He is a one man team though....and he is sorta anoying. No offence to any Alex fans in carolina. I mean come on ok kiss your gloves and jump into the boards everytime that you score, it was cool the first few games now its just plain old. If you have that much energy i think you should use it on running a guy over LEAGALY.Malkin is more of a team player and i think that he has almost as much skill as Alex has.

Ok well....

Alex the "great" is really good. He is a one man team though....and he is sorta anoying. No offence to any Alex fans in carolina. I mean come on ok kiss your gloves and jump into the boards everytime that you score, it was cool the first few games now its just plain old. If you have that much energy i think you should use it on running a guy over LEAGALY.Malkin is more of a team player and i think that he has almost as much skill as Alex has.

No offense, but I had to vote other. Staal is the MVP of this team. He has pretty much carried this team since our Captain went down and he deserves consideration for the Hart Trophy. He has kept us by his leadership in a playoff spot. Whereas, Ovie's team is struggling to find 8th place and are currently 7 points back in the SE. Despite the Crapitals hot streak, we have been hotter. That says something.

K~

Brodeur will get it but Malkin deserves it cause without him, the Pens wouldnt be in the position they're in. But I guess without Brodeur, neither would NJ.

Or OV for that matter, lol. Guess it'll come down to the final 6 games.

Brodeur will get it but Malkin deserves it cause without him, the Pens wouldnt be in the position they're in. But I guess without Brodeur, neither would NJ.

Or OV for that matter, lol. Guess it'll come down to the final 6 games.

E. Staal, because how greatly he has stepped up and how he has lead the team to a playoff position without Stiller, Willy, Brindy, etc. or Ovie, because he has pretty much carried the Caps where they are now, 2 points out of a playoff position.

lol Staal isn't even a serious consideration... :lol:

Ovie IF the Caps make the playoffs, Brodeur if they don't. The guy keeps getting better and better...and imo this year's Devs weren't really all that good to begin with...yet here they are fighting for the #1 seed in the East...just incredible.

Also, Lidstrom would be a good candidate. I think it's unfair that because he's won the Norris for years now he doesn't get proper consideration for the Hart...he could've won it 2-3 times already. He's been THAT good and still is THAT good.

Staal isnt in serious consideration, but due to recent events he should be. He has had the most points in the league since Feb 14th (when Brindy was injured) and I would consider it MVP-like to step up when your teams Captain/Top 10 Scorer goes down.

I voted Ovechkin though, the Caps would be nowhere without him.

Staal isnt in serious consideration, but due to recent events he should be. He has had the most points in the league since Feb 14th (when Brindy was injured) and I would consider it MVP-like to step up when your teams Captain/Top 10 Scorer goes down.

I voted Ovechkin though, the Caps would be nowhere without him.

keyword being recent...league MVP has to be a player that's been there all season long...and Staal hasn't (and didn't need to be I guess until Brindy went down).

We love Staal but he can't be a candidate. There are players who mean more to their respective team than Eric does to us. I have a hard time between two Russians, but I have to go with Ovie. And I'd like another Russian the dark horse: Kovalev.

E. Staal, because how greatly he has stepped up and how he has lead the team to a playoff position without Stiller, Willy, Brindy, etc. or Ovie, because he has pretty much carried the Caps where they are now, 2 points out of a playoff position.

now way staal, and ovie only taken off after he started playing with backstrom who makes ovie what he is.

Ovechkin. I was going to say that he should only win it if the Caps make the playoffs, but changed my mind as I was typing. I am of the belief that a player's team should accomplish something if he's going to win an MVP award. But in the Caps' case, simply being the playoff race is enough of an accomplishment, especially considering where they were at Thanksgiving, that AO deserves the award. They'd be nowhere close to the playoffs if not for him.

here are my top 5. i hope #3 wins it at some point in his career...he deserves it. best dman since coffey.

1.ovechkin

2.iginla

3.lindstrom

4..kovalev. yes i said it, alexei kovalev.

5.chad larose.

Ovechkin hands down. Brodeur has all the wins he has because the devils refuse to play or employ a quality back up. He is a great goaltender. But I think Ovechkin wins it.

now way staal, and ovie only taken off after he started playing with backstrom who makes ovie what he is.

Ovechkin did this with Zubrus and you don't see anyone pulling his stats along like Ovie did in New Jersey. And Chris Clark wasn't a 30 goal guy until he got on Ovie's line a year or so ago...so to say Ovechkin who has put up big numbers his first two years without Backstrom makes the above quote quite false. Ovechkin had 100+ points his rookie year and 52 goals I believe.... I do like Nabakov as well whom doesn't seem to get much praise. The Sharks have been fantastic and he's been solid ALL YEAR LONG like Ovie and unlike the our homers that like Staal for MVP...

Later

I know Im a little biased in this area, but it should be Ovie, playoffs or not.

Since Boudreau was named coach, he has 51 goals in 60 games, including 17 in his last 16. Any way you slice it, those are two ridiculous numbers.