The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
DatsyukProspect

Red Wings Clinch Presidents Trophy

Trouble with the Presidents' Trophy is that it's become little more than a consolation prize in recent years - the last team to win both the Presidents' Trophy and the Stanley Cup in the same season was the 2001-02 Red Wings.

Since then:

2002-03 - Senators for Presidents' Trophy/Devils for Stanley Cup

2003-04 - Red Wings for PT/Lightning for Cup

2005-06 - Red Wings for PT/Hurricanes for Cup

2006-07 - Sabres for PT/Ducks for Cup

...the difference between built-for-speed and built-for-distance perhaps? (I know the feeling: I'm also a season ticket holder at DC United and we've won the Supporters' Shield - the MLS equivalent of the Presidents' Trophy - the past two seasons but crashed out in the playoffs each time. I rather prefer league titles, myself.)

Red Wings hold the record for consecutive regular-season first-overall finishes - seven, from 1948-49 through 1954-55 inclusive, the heyday of the Production Line with Howe, Abel et al.

Good for the Wings, great accomplishment and deservedly so, but are they built for the playoffs? Tough physical grind, and I'm not sure they're up for it.

Hmm.. The only year i was really mad at the wings was Yzermans last year in the NHL.. when the Oilers beat the Red Wings..

After that they went off to the WCF against the Ducks, Duck win SC its okay.. Now this year i expect them to go all the way.. Everybody does..Thing is San Jose will be a tough opponent but the wings always have found a way to beat them..

[...]Thing is San Jose will be a tough opponent but the wings always have found a way to beat them..

Wings have indeed sent them home early twice...but the thing is, lots of teams find a way to beat them - the Sharks have gotten as far as the conference final only once (2004). A storied playoff team they are not...they really should have a better record of post-season success with the talent they've had.

With Nashville Clinching the 8th seed the Wings will have to play against them - During the regular season the Wings won 4 of their seven meetings - This should prove a pretty tough series - At least the travel will not be too much of a factor