The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Rate other fan bases

And in all honesty....as much as fans from traditional markets criticize nontraditional markets for low attendance. If every team in the NHL was recording sell outs all season, traditional markets wouldn't be able to brag about it anymore.

Boston: 11,150

Washington: 10,912

Carolina: 13,103

Atlanta:15,092

NY Islanders: 10,280

St-Louis: 5,410

Phoenix: 11,526

Ottawa: 17,814

Edmonton: 16,839

Vancouver: 18,630

source: nhl.com

The future of hockey lies in Canada and nowhere

................................................................................

taken from the habs board........just what others are thinking

So if that winds up being the case, can we have Doug back? :mrgreen:

That would great wouldn't it? Unfortunately he signed a pricey, two year deal so he isn't as rentable. :)

With all the PP woes lately, think of the guys missing from the playoffs...Stillman, Weight, Recchi and Cullen. That's a lot of firepower but at least Stillman is back on Friday.

Boston: 11,150

Washington: 10,912

Carolina: 13,103

Atlanta:15,092

NY Islanders: 10,280

St-Louis: 5,410

Phoenix: 11,526

Ottawa: 17,814

Edmonton: 16,839

Vancouver: 18,630

source: nhl.com

The future of hockey lies in Canada and nowhere

................................................................................

taken from the habs board........just what others are thinking

Those figures are wrong or at the very least taken from single game attendance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2007

hoyle- in 95-96 all i was 8 yrs old lol u gotta enlighting me on that year all i remember is that year were my first live nhl hockey games, last year of the aud, and sabres beat the whalers in the last game there. 2002-03 was MUCH different. last me ask u when the last time the canadians owner was hauled off to jail and the nhl owned your team? how do you think the city of motreal would react to such things?? the sabres are very important to this community and it seemed very bleak for them staying here. how would montreal react if they were on the verge of losing their team? habs would you go to the game and support like you always have? why would you want to support something that wouldnt be there in 6 months?? selling tickets meant nothing because we all knew it wouldnt save the team just ask winnipeg and quebec. we needed an owner and thankfully we got one

topshelfavry- u make a good point cause the capitals r low on dc sports teams but u ever hear of "save the caps"? should look it up... this franchise really has never been credible nearly folded once back in the 80's and ive personally never liked them cause of what dale hunter did back in the playoffs thats why i mentioned the Caps

2002-03 was MUCH different. last me ask u when the last time the canadians owner was hauled off to jail and the nhl owned your team? how do you think the city of motreal would react to such things?? the sabres are very important to this community and it seemed very bleak for them staying here. how would montreal react if they were on the verge of losing their team? habs would you go to the game and support like you always have? why would you want to support something that wouldnt be there in 6 months?? selling tickets meant nothing because we all knew it wouldnt save the team just ask winnipeg and quebec. we needed an owner and thankfully we got one.

Well I can sympathize with your point of view, but I still don't think it puts you in the right to claim Canes fans only show up in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

1) When Moslon was trying to sell the Montreal Canadiens back in the 70s, Montreal fans stopped buying Molson beer which dropped sales huge so Molson bought the team back.

2)When Molson sold the Canadiens to American owner George Gillet 4 years ago, there was a lot of anger in the air, because the previous two american owners who bought a canadian hockey team moved them south within years. Montreal's attendance didn't suffer

3)Gary Bettman made it very clear to the city of Buffalo and its fans that he was NOT going to let Buffalo move. Similar to how Bettman doesn't want to see Pittsburgh move. There was no REAL threat of moving the team that year.

Well I can sympathize with your point of view, but I still don't think it puts you in the right to claim Canes fans only show up in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

I guess that's your exclusive territory, isn't it? :) Not to mention the fact it is not correct.

But back to the Buffalo fan base situation. The whole Adelphia scandal is a smoke screen for what was waning support for a team that not doing well on the ice.

Even after Galisano bought the team, the Sabres' own players such as Numinen observed the lack of support early last year before it was apparent they had a very good team.

If new ownership was the cure, then why the initial lackluster fan support at a time when attendance had shot up after the lock-out? That doesn't make any sense, Sabre fans.

you know what else doesnt make sence, stormrider....the attendence at the Sabres/Canes game i went to...Tons of Sabres fans, still a half empty anena...and this is after their theam won the cup.

you know what else doesnt make sence, stormrider....the attendence at the Sabres/Canes game i went to...Tons of Sabres fans, still a half empty anena...and this is after their theam won the cup.

Far be it from me to intrude on your fantasy that the RBC was half empty. :)

Maybe you have it confused with an early season game at HSBC full of Leaf fans. :wink: Congrats on all the bandwagoners, they are doing you proud I hear.

Far be it from me to intrude on your fantasy that the RBC was half empty.

18.9k for opening nite vs the slugs, 14.9k for a Monday night against the slugs. Still wish we could draw consistently in the 15k-16k range for the midweek games, but it is not there yet.

Tons of Sabres fans,

Can't speak to that, didn't bring my scale.

Tons of Sabres fans,

Can't speak to that, didn't bring my scale.

Well beer sales did quadruple that night and arrests were up exponentially so maybe there were "tons" of Sluggers there. :wink:

If new ownership was the cure, then why the initial lackluster fan support at a time when attendance had shot up after the lock-out? That doesn't make any sense, Sabre fans.

Because Canadians in Southern Ontario have always made up a large percentage of Buffalo sabre ticket holders. When the team was going through financial trouble that's when they were trying to only support the team locally. Last year they finally started to target Souther Ontarians in their advertisement campaigns again and it's helped generate more ticket sales.

Maybe you have it confused with an early season game at HSBC full of Leaf fans. :wink: Congrats on all the bandwagoners, they are doing you proud I hear.

You sound like a hypocrite. Don't call other fanbases banwagoners when you get all pissy every time someone criticized your own teams fanbase.

Here are the capacity percentages for the past 3 years for both teams:

Buffalo: 82%, 91%, 100% (total margin of 18%)

Carolina: 65%, 83%, 91% (total margin of 26%)

It's safe to say that both teams are showing impressive attendance improvements, but I don't see how you're justified to call sabres fans bandwagoners when the greater leap in support has been in Carolina.

You sound like a hypocrite. Don't call other fanbases banwagoners when you get all pissy every time someone criticized your own teams fanbase.

What is it with you, Hoyle? Why do you have to stick you nose into this? From best I can read, Stormrider and Melissa were talking about this, not sure exactly why you feel the need to jump in.

You run around complaining about people arguing with you, then every chance you get you stick your nose into something that doesn't even involve you. Why is that? Attention, maybe??

There has been discussion here, even by Sabre fans, that the rowdy fans are "drunken bandwagoners" but you have proven yet again it all about finding an argument.

I took issue with the way you came on here insulting fans, insisting you knew more about the Canes, etc. When confronted with it you meekly backed off as you always do.

Grow a pair and at least write what you really think instead of playing cat and mouse. Remember you directed fans to check out the Bulldogs site and that's where your true colors/motives can be found - attack and then play the victim. How charming. :)