The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Rate other fan bases

Still, I don't see how that makes up for anything...people still didn't buy the tickets.

Your point was about the Canes "not selling out the eastern conference finals" but all the games were sold out. All seats for all games were sold. Wasn't it your contention they didn't sell out?

The fact that they didn't sell out in a matter of minutes is moot.

dboon the canes had good ticket sales in the EC finals.

But the playoffs don't start in the EC finals stormrider and I'm pretty sure teams that face one another in the playoffs reserve a certain number of tickets for the booster club fans of other teams, just like they do in the regular season.

What dboon is expressing is nothing personal against Canes fans in specific it's just something that can be hard to swallow. Someone mentioned earlier something about sports karma. Well sometimes that karma looks rather strange.

You all remember the Montreal Expos. How attendance got so bad there that the team had to start holding games in Puero Rico just to sell tickets. Now imagine in the Expos final season the team pulled things together went all the way to the World Series and faced the Red Sox. Even if Expos attendance rose back to sell outs and Montrealers started going nuts for the sport of baseball.....which city and fans do you think would deserve the win more Montreal or Boston?

I'm not saying this makes Buffalo fans right, I'm just saying that this is how they probably see it.

Ok, whatever, that's fine. The main issue that people had is that the Eastern Conference Finals are a big deal, and people assumed that a team would be able to sell out those games rather quickly, not the day of, or right before, or what have you - that's the main concern.

This argument isn't going to get anywhere.

Ok, whatever, that's fine. The main issue that people had is that the Eastern Conference Finals are a big deal, and people assumed that a team would be able to sell out those games rather quickly, not the day of, or right before, or what have you - that's the main concern.

Well then that seems to be a problem with people assuming things, not with the Canes or their fans. The fact of the matter is, the Canes DO have sellout games, outside of our Cup run. I believe December 2nd's game against Boston sold out, did it not?

dboon the canes had good ticket sales in the EC finals.

But the playoffs don't start in the EC finals stormrider and I'm pretty sure teams that face one another in the playoffs reserve a certain number of tickets for the booster club fans of other teams, just like they do in the regular season.

What dboon is expressing is nothing personal against Canes fans in specific it's just something that can be hard to swallow.

Can you stay out of one discussion? Just once?

As for your "good ticket sales" comment, thanks for clarifying the fact that all the games were sold out. :) Unreal.

Thanks for the newflash too about the playoffs not staring until the finals. All the games in all three rounds were sold out so what IS your point?

Please stop trying to speak for other posters. Thanks. Your self-indulgent "insights" and snarky comments are unwelcome.

stormrider.... :roll:

Why must you label every person you don't happen to agree with as being arrogant, having a hidden agenda, self-indulgent, ill informed, or Eddie Haskel brown nosing. Is it that hard for you to admit you're wrong sometimes.

Calm down guys

Seriously, this is getting too heated, I'm sick of these discussions, I don't even know why I bothered with that first post.

And hoyle actually helped to explain what I was trying to say...

Calm down guys

Seriously, this is getting too heated, I'm sick of these discussions, I don't even know why I bothered with that first post.

And hoyle actually helped to explain what I was trying to say...

nvm

Why must you label every person you don't happen to agree with as being arrogant, having a hidden agenda, self-indulgent, ill informed, or Eddie Haskel brown nosing.

Moi? I don't label every person that...far from it it was only you.

And that description applies to only those that insist on continuing to troll this board while the mods sit on their hands when their backsides are being kissed by the transgressors.

Let me guess. I'm off topic? I should use PM? I'm the bad guy?

Some things need to be stated in a public forum folks. Feel free to shoot the messenger now. :wink:

Some things need to be stated in a public forum folks. Feel free to shoot the messenger now. :wink:

This isn't one of those things. If you feel the need to continue this childish anti-mod/anti-hoyle rant take it to the PMs.

But alot of it can be kept for the PM system, because I doubt that the rest of the members here want to read through crap to get to posts about the actual thread topic. These boards are not here for people to lob insults at one another or to carry on w/ personal attacks. They're mainly here to talk about hockey. If you want to debate about who's a hypocrite or who's like Eddie Haskel, this isn't the place. I'm locking this topic for a second time in 3 days. The next time it gets locked, it stays locked.

Damn , all this back and forth with Hoyle, and to think some of you caniacs wanted to get rid of me because I mention the Great whale once in awhile.

I'm not sure what is up with the attendance this year. Like I have said in other posts. If the team is playing like crap and mgmt is poor, haven't made the playoffs in a few years, then I can see a decline. But when you have teams like New Jersey (my god, they are boring too watch) who are above .500 and the islanders, and Washington also above or near .500 and they are avergaing maybe 10,000 . There is something to worry about there. I'll say the same thing about the canes (sorry but it's how I feel) when you won the cup last year and you get 13,000 + for a Montreal game when the place should be near sell outs every game.

The only teams with a consistent attendance are the Canadian teams. This tells me a few things. First, I don't buy the strike/walk-out is the cause. A national TV contract would help. ESPN should still have the contract but being they are still bitter about the whalers ( based just out of Hartford). To me the next city if any thru expansion should be a Canadian city. The fans show up, it is the only real major sport up there and it is appreciated for the great game that it is. I have said it before Quebec, Winnipeg or Hamilton should be next. Any U.S city....we all know the answer to that...Hartford.

Bettman is not on the ball when it comes to certian ideas and team locations. If he had his way, Kansas City...Las Vegas or Houston would be next. Funny how people who are against Winnipeg,Quebec or Hartford say "they had their chance" but those same people have no issue with Atlanta, Kansas City, Colorado. Damn Newbie fans....lol

33-1.gif

37.gif

hfd96.jpg

two problems with your argument though....

1)Winnipeg, Hamilton and Quebec City are in the middle of nowhere with very little continental coverage. If you think attendance was bad for a Montreal vs Carolina game, imagine the turnout for a Hamilton vs Carolina. Places like Winnipeg and Quebec City have less exposure to the world then Montreal. I can't see people in Carolina or any southern team getting all excited to see Winnipeg or Quebec City come to town. That was the problem when these places had NHL teams, they were producing very crappy attendance around the league. And I'm not specifically criticizing southern fans.....Very few people in Canada really knew how to point to Columbus on a map before they got a team. This seems to be the fundamental problem with all of those cities you suggested. New Jersey may have horrible attendance, but their away attendence is amung the best in the league....so financially....the devils aren't hurting any other team but themselves. In my opinion, this is also the reason interconference play was canned and regional rivalries were increased to 8 games. If Carolina plays Atlanta 2 more times and Montreal 2 less times, it's better for attendance no?

2) Hamilton can't support a team. Majority of the people in Hamilton would love to see a team come to town but they all know it would never work for one simple fact. People in Hamilton aren't hockey fans.......they're Toronto Maple Leaf fans. There's a huge difference between the two, ask the Senators. Here's a scenario.....If Hamilton got a team they would probably generate decent crowds, just because Toronto is too hard to get tickets and it's better to avoid Buffalo if you can.....But here's the thing.....Home games would look quite different when playing against Toronto. 95% of the people in the crowd will be wearing leaf jerseys and cheering for the Leafs....this is not an exaggeration. This is how strong Leaf Country has a stranglehold on it's population. Hamilton is made up of a lot of Leaf fans and they will NEVER convert to true Hamilton fans if Hamilton ever got a team.

Toronto's been preaching that argument for years too. It'll never happen. Look at the Islanders, New Jersey and the old Whalers for that matter. The New York region is loaded with people....a heck of a lot more then Toronto, but those teams still have trouble filling arenas....Why? Because people in the New York region aren't hockey fans, they're New York Ranger fans.

Hoyle, I can't argue with you because I have no idea about the Hamilton area. I just can't see how if a team is placed In ha,milton there wouldn't be enough fans to support that team. A Quebec vs canes or Hamilton vs canes, they would have poor attendance, probably you're right. That would be the fault of the cane fans not the other team. Theu can't play Detroit 82 games a year.

As far as the point about the whalers /NY/Boston too close together... I could argue with ya but go to the hartfordwhalersboosterclub.com site. They would be alot better at it then me....lol

believe.jpg

Let me put it to you this way....

I'm a Habs fan, but I would still love to see Hamilton get a team because it's my home city (well sort of, I live just outside it)....But I will admit that when Montreal would play Hamilton, there's no way in hell I would abandon my Habs. This goes the same for every other Leaf or Habs fan in the surrounding area. There just aren't enough non-Habs and non-Leaf fans to build a truly solid hardcore fanbase. Everyone and I do mean everyone in my surrounding area are Leaf of Hab fans.

The Whalers booster club is great thing, and for all your sakes I hope you get your team back. But I can't see it happening.

I figured there wouod always be a few converts....anyway, thanks. I hope that someday Hartford gets their whale back I know it's a long shot, very long. Anyway, until then GO HABS!!!