The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
mdp32266

WRAL.com advertising Capitals Playoff Tix?

As MeanGene pointed out, it's probably a targeted ad that WRAL has little control over.

Let's say you live in Raleigh but are about to move to Boston. You visit a website because you are looking for an apartment in Boston, and before you've even given the site any information, you see an ad that says "Find Apartments in Raleigh!" Well, that ad is displayed because your IP address is known to be used in Raleigh, so a targeted ad is shown to you based on your location.

The Capitals are probably paying an e-marketing firm of some kind to target people online who live nearby D.C. This same firm pays WRAL.com to have a dynamic space on its website to show advertisements. This type of e-marketing is growing, so you'll see it more and more.

Really and truly, WRAL probably isn't even aware of these Caps ads. Even if they were, who could blame them? Canes fans can be *hockey* fans too ;)

As MeanGene pointed out, it's probably a targeted ad that WRAL has little control over.

Let's say you live in Raleigh but are about to move to Boston. You visit a website because you are looking for an apartment in Boston, and before you've even given the site any information, you see an ad that says "Find Apartments in Raleigh!" Well, that ad is displayed because your IP address is known to be used in Raleigh, so a targeted ad is shown to you based on your location.

The Capitals are probably paying an e-marketing firm of some kind to target people online who live nearby D.C. This same firm pays WRAL.com to have a dynamic space on its website to show advertisements. This type of e-marketing is growing, so you'll see it more and more.

Really and truly, WRAL probably isn't even aware of these Caps ads. Even if they were, who could blame them? Canes fans can be *hockey* fans too ;)

Thanks for the good and very informative info. I was wondering the same thing a couple of months ago when I saw it on the WRAL website. I thought it was WRAL just taking anybody's money who would pay for that banner not caring who it affected. It now makes sense. I have read the WRAL bashing on other websites about this banner, it's a shame it's affected them in such a negative way when they had no control over it.