The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

NHL's Out of Town Scoreboard

I wished the Pens would have won it straight up. Oh well, I feel bad for Backstrom. On the business side of things, I'm thrilled that the Canes are pulling away. If it takes an own goal to sink the Caps, then so be it.

Brashear caused a real implosion for the Caps. This is the kind of loss that could haunt them for a bit.....one hopes! B)
Now with Backstrom scoring on his own net to lose another when at least a point was in grasp...it will be very interesting to see how the Caps play their next game (which is against the Flames).

0 SOG for Colorado in first period against Dallas...Stars lead 2-0. Pretty rare that a team doesn't get any shots at all...
But on the minus side, that's not doing anything for Turco's save percentage...! :P

There have been a number of times where we've ony had like 3 SOG, no? So... not common, but not unbelievable.

Notice I said that it was rare that a team got zero shots on goal. A lot of teams on any given night only get like 3-5 shots off in a period...but zero? That's something that doesn't happen all too often...esp. considering how these days it's easier to get shots off and stuff with PP's and the like.

Wasn't rooting for Washington, but certainly felt bad for them today. Huet had some incredible stops and I really enjoyed watching Malkin and Ovechkin on the ice. Malkin had an incredible set-up driving to the net on that Sykora goal. Crosby may get all the hype, but Malkin IMO is going to develop into the better player for Pittsburgh long-term. He really had an excellent opportunity to showcase his game the past few weeks and lead the team in Crosby's absence.

As for Crosby, the microphone picking up his comments after the go-ahead goal (where he was celebrating, laughing and kept saying, *did you see that, he put it in his own goal!*) was just another reason to add to the list of why I don't care for him. Sorry, but don't see him as captain material at all if that is the example he sets.

Notice I said that it was rare that a team got zero shots on goal. A lot of teams on any given night only get like 3-5 shots off in a period...but zero? That's something that doesn't happen all too often...esp. considering how these days it's easier to get shots off and stuff with PP's and the like.

Actually, while watching the Pens/Caps game earlier, the announcers were saying that goals aren't up from before (I wish I could tell you when the before was, but I forget now and I'm too lazy to really check...) ... also talking about how big the goalies are getting with their pads compared to like 20 years ago...

I would like to see smaller pads... but anyway

Yes, you did say zero... and I know 3 shots compared to 0 shots are potentially 3 more goals than 0... but I think it's becoming more and more ... common? (not the right word, but closest thing I could come up with right now)

Yeah, we have 8-1 losses, and what not.. but how defense is playing (sans Nikky Backstrom :lol:) now, actual SOG in general is decreasing I think..

Maybe it's just me, I'm sick and I'm tired, and maybe I'm just ranting. :)

Lot of debate over goalie pads this season. First Luongo and now Giguere. They're both amazing goalies, but with the pads they have, there's no holes in them. You have to move them out of position to score, because if they aren't, it's not getting through.

I did think it was interesting to see how much the goalies had grown in relation to the pads over the years and just how much more net they filled these days. It also made it pretty obvious just how long ago Irbe would've needed to play in order to be the size of an average goalie.

L

Wasn't rooting for Washington, but certainly felt bad for them today. Huet had some incredible stops and I really enjoyed watching Malkin and Ovechkin on the ice. Malkin had an incredible set-up driving to the net on that Sykora goal. Crosby may get all the hype, but Malkin IMO is going to develop into the better player for Pittsburgh long-term. He really had an excellent opportunity to showcase his game the past few weeks and lead the team in Crosby's absence.

As for Crosby, the microphone picking up his comments after the go-ahead goal (where he was celebrating, laughing and kept saying, *did you see that, he put it in his own goal!*) was just another reason to add to the list of why I don't care for him. Sorry, but don't see him as captain material at all if that is the example he sets.

Yea, I thought that was tacky. I don't like him at all and he does scream like a girl. I know Washington losing helps the Canes but I wouldv'e loved to have seen Ovechkin beat Crosby. I really, really don't like him. :angry:

Yea, I thought that was tacky. I don't like him at all and he does scream like a girl. I know Washington losing helps the Canes but I wouldv'e loved to have seen Ovechkin beat Crosby. I really, really don't like him. :angry:

Tacky and classless was what came to mind for me, glad I'm not alone on this.

With so many great young players, why he was ever chosen as the face of the new NHL is beyond me. I think he's overrated and hope that time proves me right on that one. Not saying he'll stink, the guy definitely has skills, but I just don't see him as the best young player in the league, with Malkin I don't even see him as the best young player on his team and I think those weeks he was out with the high ankle sprain gave Malkin a chance to shine, which he took and ran with.

I can name at least a dozen young guys who I wish the NHL would promote over The Kid.

Actually, while watching the Pens/Caps game earlier, the announcers were saying that goals aren't up from before (I wish I could tell you when the before was, but I forget now and I'm too lazy to really check...) ... also talking about how big the goalies are getting with their pads compared to like 20 years ago...

I would like to see smaller pads... but anyway

Yes, you did say zero... and I know 3 shots compared to 0 shots are potentially 3 more goals than 0... but I think it's becoming more and more ... common? (not the right word, but closest thing I could come up with right now)

Yeah, we have 8-1 losses, and what not.. but how defense is playing (sans Nikky Backstrom :lol:) now, actual SOG in general is decreasing I think..

Maybe it's just me, I'm sick and I'm tired, and maybe I'm just ranting. :)

No you're right...offense, in general, is decreasing again. Teams have adjusted since 05-06, and the Refs are calling less penalties (or at least the # of PP's is down). I for one though am ok with the lower scoring...I mean I don't want it returning to pre-lockout numbers but overall I think things are good right now. 05-06 just seemed kinda fake to me...not the true game of hockey...but that's a different argument for a different day. ;)

yea me too, cant stand sid, i hated pulling for him today. i cought myself pulling for washington until i realized i wasnt supposed to be. i sure wish they could switch teams, i love ovie.

Keep drinking the haterade guys. What would you do if your team just won the game because some guy threw it into his own net? I'm sure you wouldn't walk over to him put a hand on his back and offer him a tissue.

Give me a break, it was funny, I said the exact same thing when i saw it "The guy put it in his own net", get this...I EVEN LAUGHED. Label me what you want, its hilarious that he threw it into his own net to lose the game.

I'm torn on Crosby's comments. On the one hand, I can understand why he said it. He was to the side of the net, and obviously didn't get a good view of it. Thus, he asked if it was put in by a Washington player. However, it's unbelievable to win a game like that, and thus, he's quite excited about scoring the game-winner in the last 30 seconds of the game.

Disbelief combined with excitement gives comments like his that, obviously, could be construed as bad sportsmanship or whatnot.

I can understand why he said it, but I'm with the others. After seeing the celebration, and the devestation on the Capitals' faces, his comments didn't sit right with me.

(where he was celebrating, laughing and kept saying, *did you see that, he put it in his own goal!*)

That's not what Crosby said. He wasn't sure how it got in. He asked in the celebration, "did he put it into his own goal?"

The way you thought he said made it sound like he's rubbing into Washington's face. Still, he shouldn't have shown that much excitement for winning it that way.

That's not what Crosby said. He wasn't sure how it got in. He asked in the celebration, "did he put it into his own goal?"

The way you thought he said made it sound like he's rubbing into Washington's face. Still, he shouldn't have shown that much excitement for winning it that way.

You are exactly right. I had DVR'd the game and watched it last night, already knowing the outcome and particulars but still interested to see key portions of the game. He clearly asked the question and wasn't making any kind of insulting comment. Some people will hate him no matter what and let those predispositions color what they say and hear.

Crosby can be a whiny at times, no doubt, but given all the media attention he has gotten since in his mid-teens he seems to be a pretty mature, thoughtful kid at only 20 years old. The more difficult to understand whining often comes from his detractors.

Some fans may tire of the seemingly 24/7 coverage he gets but unless he gets injured, he will be known as an all-time great. That's why I focus more on what he is doing on the ice b/c you don't see elite talent like that all that often.