The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

NHL's Out of Town Scoreboard

You are exactly right. I had DVR'd the game and watched it last night, already knowing the outcome and particulars but still interested to see key portions of the game. He clearly asked the question and wasn't making any kind of insulting comment. Some people will hate him no matter what and let those predispositions color what they say and hear.

Crosby can be a whiny at times, no doubt, but given all the media attention he has gotten since in his mid-teens he seems to be a pretty mature, thoughtful kid at only 20 years old. The more difficult to understand whining often comes from his detractors.

Some fans may tire of the seemingly 24/7 coverage he gets but unless he gets injured, he will be known as an all-time great. That's why I focus more on what he is doing on the ice b/c you don't see elite talent like that all that often.

Im all for Sid being touted as an all-time great but did he really deserve the NHL star of the night for 2 goals? One was the goal by Backstrom that Sid incidentally got credit for since he was the last to touch the puck. I have no hate for Sid but its stuff like this by the league that makes people get really annoyed with him, whether he deserves it or not. How many times in the telecast did you hear "Crosby is back on the ice!" Surely Marc Andre Fleury deserved a star over Sid for being able to keep all of OV's 1000 SOG's out of the net.

You are exactly right. I had DVR'd the game and watched it last night, already knowing the outcome and particulars but still interested to see key portions of the game. He clearly asked the question and wasn't making any kind of insulting comment. Some people will hate him no matter what and let those predispositions color what they say and hear.

Crosby can be a whiny at times, no doubt, but given all the media attention he has gotten since in his mid-teens he seems to be a pretty mature, thoughtful kid at only 20 years old. The more difficult to understand whining often comes from his detractors.

Some fans may tire of the seemingly 24/7 coverage he gets but unless he gets injured, he will be known as an all-time great. That's why I focus more on what he is doing on the ice b/c you don't see elite talent like that all that often.

Im all for Sid being touted as an all-time great but did he really deserve the NHL star of the night for 2 goals? One was the goal by Backstrom that Sid incidentally got credit for since he was the last to touch the puck. I have no hate for Sid but its stuff like this by the league that makes people get really annoyed with him, whether he deserves it or not. How many times in the telecast did you hear "Crosby is back on the ice!" Surely Marc Andre Fleury deserved a star over Sid for being able to keep all of OV's 1000 SOG's out of the net.

I think he got 3rd star but, no, I'm not so sure it was deserved given how he really only scored one goal and got owned in the faceoff circle.

Yes, the NHL and NBC both fawn all over him but it's their call not his. It happens to a degree in every sport though and the NHL is desperately looking for ways to market their stars so I can see where it does get old for some. It doesn't bother me though b/c the NHL is doing what it thinks it needs to do and the players aren't self-promoting. But I think some are so turned off they are attributing things to him unfairly such as his mic'd comments or the impersonation of him in Toronto.

In other action over the weekend did anyone see the Lucic fight in the game vs. the Caps? If that had been in the ring, they would have stopped it earlier. He just absolutely pounded Bradley. Lucic is a beast and not a guy you want to anger.

I think he got 3rd star but, no, I'm not so sure it was deserved given how he really only scored one goal and got owned in the faceoff circle.

Yes, the NHL and NBC both fawn all over him but it's their call not his. It happens to a degree in every sport though and the NHL is desperately looking for ways to market their stars so I can see where it does get old for some. It doesn't bother me though b/c the NHL is doing what it thinks it needs to do and the players aren't self-promoting. But I think some are so turned off they are attributing things to him unfairly such as his mic'd comments or the impersonation of him in Toronto.

In other action over the weekend did anyone see the Lucic fight in the game vs. the Caps? If that had been in the ring, they would have stopped it earlier. He just absolutely pounded Bradley. Lucic is a beast and not a guy you want to anger.

I saw it and Lucic is a really good young player. He ignited the Bruins and helped them grit that game out

I think he will eventually be a 25+ goal scorer to go with that toughness.

The Bruins really really helped us out with that game that was down to about 4 minutes away from being A Caps win

I saw it and Lucic is a really good young player. He ignited the Bruins and helped them grit that game out

The Bruins really really helped us out with that game that was down to about 4 minutes away from being A Caps win

Lucic is just plain scary. I think it was Brookbank that went up against him and held his own, pretty impressive.

Edit: It was Gleason, thanks Frogg

Medford, whats happening to the B's? They seem to be nose diving at the worst time. Not feeling too good about them and now and with Chara out, they're gonna have a tough time holding their ground. The good thing is that Buffalo keeps losing too but other teams are closing in on them.

Lucic is just plain scary. I think it was Brookbank that went up against him and held his own, pretty impressive.

Medford, whats happening to the B's? They seem to be nose diving at the worst time. Not feeling too good about them and now and with Chara out, they're gonna have a tough time holding their ground. The good thing is that Buffalo keeps losing too but other teams are closing in on them.

Lucic is an amazing player for being so young, especially when he drops the gloves. But he's got to learn when to pick his fights. He fought Gleason, and got dominated. Which, normally, would be fine, except for 2 things.

1. He was just coming off a broken nose (or cheek or something in the facial area), so fighting isn't probably the smartest thing to do in your recovery.

2. He did it with about 3 minutes left in the game, and the Canes used the momentum from the fight to erase a 2-0 deficit.

TSA I think the Bruins are just tired and they have overachieved this year for having their best player

or at least best forward Bergeron out the whole year.

It was not a bad weekend for them. They beat Wash and lost in a shootout to a red hot Rangers team

Chara should be back by late this week. They have a few toughies coming up at Ottawa, vs Tampa, vs Philly and at Wash.

I hope they win vs Wash for us but they need to start scoring again. they are in a firm 7th postion and should be okay IMO

we shall see.

I think you're right that he can be a 20-25 goal/year scorer if they use him properly. He could be somewhat like Bertuzzi in his prime but Lucic wouldn't likely score as many goals.

TSA I think the Bruins are just tired and they have overachieved this year for having their best player

It was not a bad weekend for them. They beat Wash and lost in a shootout to a red hot Rangers team

Chara should be back by late this week. They have a few toughies coming up at Ottawa, vs Tampa, vs Philly and at Wash.

I hope they win vs Wash for us but they need to start scoring again. they are in a firm 7th postion and should be okay IMO

we shall see.

Yeah, it would be like us having Staal out for the season...and where would we be without him stepping up this season? I read Bergeron is skating but not really any closer to playing.

we shall see.

Yeah, it would be like us having Staal out for the season...and where would we be without him stepping up this season? I read Bergeron is skating but not really any closer to playing.

I think you're right that he can be a 20-25 goal/year scorer if they use him properly. He could be somewhat like Bertuzzi in his prime but Lucic wouldn't likely score as many goals.

as long as he is not a cheap shot artist like Bertuzzi, he will still be liked :P

Lucic is an amazing player for being so young, especially when he drops the gloves. But he's got to learn when to pick his fights. He fought Gleason, and got dominated. Which, normally, would be fine, except for 2 things.

1. He was just coming off a broken nose (or cheek or something in the facial area), so fighting isn't probably the smartest thing to do in your recovery.

2. He did it with about 3 minutes left in the game, and the Canes used the momentum from the fight to erase a 2-0 deficit.

You're exactly right and it was probably a youthful mistake on Lucic's part. I think he felt he had to oblige Gleason but he inadvertently help set the stage for that rally. He'll know better next time.

we shall see.

Any word on the undisclosed Chara injury? I'm guessing some sort of muscle pull, but everyone gets so secretive this time of year so it could be anything from hangnails to broken bones!

Any word on the undisclosed Chara injury? I'm guessing some sort of muscle pull, but everyone gets so secretive this time of year so it could be anything from hangnails to broken bones!

I thought it was a shoulder injury from Saturday. He left the ice holding his shoulder and I thought I remembered Andy Brickley mentioning it too.

Could be wrong...

I thought it was a shoulder injury from Saturday. He left the ice holding his shoulder and I thought I remembered Andy Brickley mentioning it too.

Could be wrong...

As for Crosby, the microphone picking up his comments after the go-ahead goal (where he was celebrating, laughing and kept saying, *did you see that, he put it in his own goal!*) was just another reason to add to the list of why I don't care for him. Sorry, but don't see him as captain material at all if that is the example he sets.

I think people are taking Crosby's comments out of line b/c they don't like him. Do you think Crosby was the only one that said that? Shoot I even yelled it. When you are in a playoff type game like that was, the emotions are going to overtake. I seriously doubt he said it in a mocking manor. And no I'm not a Crosby fan, in fact I like Ovechkin a whole lot more, I just don't think what Crosby said was out of line or doesn't make him captain material. What did you want him to do, go up to Backstrom give him a pat on the back and say its ok.

Im all for Sid being touted as an all-time great but did he really deserve the NHL star of the night for 2 goals?

Yea this actually upset me lol...having him as a star and Lundqvist...who was outplayed by Alex Auld yet just because Auld gave one up in the SO they gave the star to Lundqvist...I really don't like their choices sometimes.

secrective, must have learned from Bill Bellicheck :P

I think it is an upper torso injury

That would be defenseman Zdeno Chara, who missed the Bruins

The fact that I don't think sun shines out of his backside and my opinion of his comments/tone are independent of each other. I always thought that the *C* was something a player had to earn and that the guys who wear it should be leading by example.

It's not Crosby's fault that it was handed to him way before he earned it in a lot of people's opinions, but I do think he should be setting an example for his team. Excited that they were going to get the win, sure, fine, I'm cool with that, but IMO the way he sounded came across as gloating and childish. I'd have found it just as tacky if it had been one of our guys had said the same thing with the tone I picked up.

On a separate note, I'll be interested to see how the Penguins develop these next few years. With all the young talent they have, expectations will be high. I have to wonder though if we'll be seeing this team together long-term. It won't surprise me at all if we see the other young guys move on to other teams, especially if they're expected to take a back seat to Crosby.

L

I think people are taking Crosby's comments out of line b/c they don't like him. Do you think Crosby was the only one that said that? Shoot I even yelled it. When you are in a playoff type game like that was, the emotions are going to overtake. I seriously doubt he said it in a mocking manor. And no I'm not a Crosby fan, in fact I like Ovechkin a whole lot more, I just don't think what Crosby said was out of line or doesn't make him captain material. What did you want him to do, go up to Backstrom give him a pat on the back and say its ok.