The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

NHL's Out of Town Scoreboard

What's interesting is that you're the only one pointing it out on our board and multiple times so yes, your point has been made loud and clear and it shouldnt be suprising that some here would take offense to it and feel their team is being belittled. Most expect this on other boards but not on our own.

TSA then why do you think Cap fans are more worried about Pitts then the Canes?

It never hurts to look at your own team objectively you know. Try surfing through the Habs message board and you'll see how many critiquing is done to their own team.

If I made these posts in the Hurricanes section of this message board I'd see your point, but whenever I do look at the Canes objectively (which isn't as numerous as being implied) I almost always keep it in the "Around the League" section of the board. I'm just getting irritated by the feeling that i'm constantly walking on egg shells when i talk about the Hurricanes here. My posts are not just about the Canes, and I critically look at every team, including Montreal.

My point is this. Every time I say something about the Canes that someone else disagrees with, instead of discussing our difference in opinions I get accused of belittling, but I wonder if I replaced all the Hab logos on my avatar and banner with Canes logos, if this wouldn't even be an issue.

Because the Pens are currently in 1st place, and they realize there's a very real chance of them sneaking into 8th place and thus facing the Pens in the first round?

Because the Pens are currently in 1st place, and they realize there's a very real chance of them sneaking into 8th place and thus facing the Pens in the first round?

Agreed.

All I was trying to do was use stats to show that the Pens are obviously the larger threat right now.

egg.jpg

I feel your pain Hoyle. You brought up interesting comments about the canes in a respectful way and look what happened....next time use thisthsugar.jpg

BRING ON THE PLAYOFFS !!!!!!!!!!!!

What he said.

What he said.

It never hurts to look at your own team objectively you know. Try surfing through the Habs message board and you'll see how many critiquing is done to their own team.

If I made these posts in the Hurricanes section of this message board I'd see your point, but whenever I do look at the Canes objectively (which isn't as numerous as being implied) I almost always keep it in the "Around the League" section of the board. I'm just getting irritated by the feeling that i'm constantly walking on egg shells when i talk about the Hurricanes here. My posts are not just about the Canes, and I critically look at every team, including Montreal.

My point is this. Every time I say something about the Canes that someone else disagrees with, instead of discussing our difference in opinions I get accused of belittling, but I wonder if I replaced all the Hab logos on my avatar and banner with Canes logos, if this wouldn't even be an issue.

I think it's because your posts usually come with one or two comments that subliminally knock down the Hurricanes and/or the SE division...at least that's the way I see it sometimes. This is the 'Canes board, so we're all fully aware of how the team is doing and how many different ways there are to look at things...having someone else who's not a fan come in with an objective opinion is fine and all but you (alongside with FW) seem to enjoy rubbing in our team's faults and the like...like I said this is just my opinion but it may be why lately you've been getting more criticism than usual.

Alright, I saw the comment and stepped into something here, I guess. What was the argument again? :huh:

Someone was asking why Cap fans don't fear the Canes as much as they fear Pens, so I compared the two teams in the standings, and some people took offense to it.

Someone was asking why Cap fans don't fear the Canes as much as they fear Pens, so I compared the two teams in the standings, and some people took offense to it.

Ah.

So for once, I solve everything instead of inciting a riot. :P

VictoryCover.jpg

Alright, I saw the comment and stepped into something here, I guess. What was the argument again? :huh:

Why the Caps are more concerned with facing the Pens than the Canes. I thought you said it quite well, Pens look to be the tops in the East and the odds are higher that the Caps would sneak into the 8th seed and have to face the Pens in the first round. Pens are pretty scary looking right now and are getting solid goaltending from Marc Andre Fleury. Not to mention the fact that the media will be giving OV and Sid more attention than anyone could could ever imagine. The pressure on the youngs Caps will be overwhelming at times and the Pens have some experience from last years playoffs.

Also the pens are the overwhelming favorite to come out of the East per most of the media, but probably not the Montreal media,lol.

That would be why I think that the Caps fear playing the Pens more than the game tomorrow.

Why the Caps are more concerned with facing the Pens than the Canes. I thought you said it quite well, Pens look to be the tops in the East and the odds are higher that the Caps would sneak into the 8th seed and have to face the Pens in the first round. Pens are pretty scary looking right now and are getting solid goaltending from Marc Andre Fleury. Not to mention the fact that the media will be giving OV and Sid more attention than anyone could could ever imagine. The pressure on the youngs Caps will be overwhelming at times and the Pens have some experience from last years playoffs.

Also the pens are the overwhelming favorite to come out of the East per most of the media, but probably not the Montreal media,lol.

That would be why I think that the Caps fear playing the Pens more than the game tomorrow.

I think it's because your posts usually come with one or two comments that subliminally knock down the Hurricanes and/or the SE division...at least that's the way I see it sometimes. This is the 'Canes board, so we're all fully aware of how the team is doing and how many different ways there are to look at things...having someone else who's not a fan come in with an objective opinion is fine and all but you (alongside with FW) seem to enjoy rubbing in our team's faults and the like...like I said this is just my opinion but it may be why lately you've been getting more criticism than usual.

Maybe because those are my only posts you're paying attention too. I make just as many positive comments in here as well, particularly my impressed response to the way the Canes appeared to have turned Samsonov's career around.

I said what I said because I thought the Caps still had to play both the Canes and the Pens, but after checking the schedule I see they don't. So yes my original point does appear to be less applicable here, but in no way was I trying to rub anything in anyone's noses.

With all the latest injuries in Montreal, no the media isn't expecting the Habs to come out on top, in fact they're not even sure they're come out on top the division too.

rangers held penguins to just 1 shot on goal in first period sheesh =X

pitts defense and goaltending don't impress me. I know Fleury is picking up his game, but he still seems like a bust to me :(

Hoyle, keep it coming and don't worry. You know others will come back at you here. I'm a solid Canes fan, but like many here honest enough to express my opinion (pro or con).

I honestly don't think that ANY team in the East fears any other team. It's mostly media @#$%. Even before the injuries, your Habs are not heads above almost all playoff caliber teams in this division.

I'd rather be rolling like the Canes and Caps than reeling the way Ottawa is going into next week. I think they may not even get in, unless Philly gets rolled by Pittsburgh in the 2 games they have left.

I honestly don't think that ANY team in the East fears any other team. It's mostly media @#$%. Even before the injuries, your Habs are not heads above almost all playoff caliber teams in this division.

Agreed. There's too many elements in Montreal that could pull the legs out from under them.

*The team is running with 4 rookies right now. (S.Kostitsyn, Price, Grabovski, O'Byrne).

*Officials let more things go in the playoffs, and Montreal isn't really a big team.

Montreal is so high in the standings because they swept the Bruins and the Islanders this season.

And that's pretty much my point. Who in the east IS such a big threat at this point? Nobody is. There are teams that are "hot" at the moment, but none that have been consistently enough to give them a real edge.

You've got the Pens at the top right now, but they are one of a bunch of teams that have been leap-frogging each other just about every game lately. And take away their high-powered offense and they don't have all that much. Fleury when he's hot. Nothing else when he isn't.

Montreal has steadily risen up to the top as well, but yet they've got injuries that could render them a non-factor possibly, depending on how things work out.

New Jersey is towards the top as usual, but then come playoff time they tend to pull a Detroit and go down easy.

Ottawa has been in free fall mode for quite awhile. If they stay in the playoffs it's only because of having such a hot start to the season, and if anybody wants a really easy first round they better hope they play the Sens.

The Rangers are in the middle of the pack. Some days they show up, others they don't.

Philly is another with a hot start that has faded.

Boston has seemingly snuck into the mix without much fanfare. They've got their problems, mainly revolving around if everyone can stay healthy.

Then you've got Carolina and Washington competing for the SE. It's very likely that both can make it into the playoffs. Whichever wins the division will almost certainly have enough points that they would have made the playoffs anyway.

Plus there's Buffalo not far behind, but not a very likely team to make it at this point.

The gap between all these teams is only 13 points (Pitts 99 and Buffalo 86).

Heck, the Canes have 90 now with three games to go. One win gives them 92. While there are exceptions, usually 92 points is enough to get in the playoffs most seasons. So it's not like they are a team that is unbelievably horrible. They are a team that as is would typically be in the playoffs. The only difference is that this season there aren't any 110-120 point teams in the east, or any 56 point teams like Philly last year that widen the gap. There are a bunch of teams right there at about the same level.

If the Canes are such a horrible team that doesn't really "deserve" to be in the playoffs, then what does that say about Pittsburgh and Montreal, who are at the top of the conference with just a few wins more in an 82 game season? The problem is that the Canes get bashed, while these other teams are given a pass.

Though, personally, I think this is the best situation the NHL has had for many years. I like that there are no teams (at least in the east) that have such a huge advantage. This parity is the most exciting thing that could happen, when with three-four games left in the season the standings could change dramatically and hardly anyone is safe from not making the playoffs. Every game is likely to count until the very last game played like it never has before.

If anyone is upset about some of the teams that might be left out, instead of bashing the Canes or the SE Division they need to be calling for a change in the playoffs to add more teams. After all, the playoff format has remained the same even after having added what, 8 additional teams?

And that's pretty much my point. Who in the east IS such a big threat at this point? Nobody is. There are teams that are "hot" at the moment, but none that have been consistently enough to give them a real edge.....

....and Playoff Hockey is completely different from what we're now watching, especially in the First Round.

....and Playoff Hockey is completely different from what we're now watching, especially in the First Round.

Exactly.

For all we know, either the Canes or the Caps could end up winning the east. New Jersey's 15 game win streak didn't mean much when they met the Canes in 05-06.

But if you're upset the Canes (or Caps) will get into the playoffs and your team won't, don't blame the team that does. Blame the system. All I ever hear is complaints about the SE Division and Canes, though.

Maybe because those are my only posts you're paying attention too. I make just as many positive comments in here as well, particularly my impressed response to the way the Canes appeared to have turned Samsonov's career around.

You don't help your case there by demeaning what and how I read on these boards; I've been here since October 2007 and let me tell ya I haven't only read two or three posts by you...or FW for that matter. You asked a question about being flamed on this message board, and I provided you with an accurate answer that was right to the point...apparently too much so for your tastes. If you don't want an honest response, then don't ask an honest question.

And that's pretty much my point. Who in the east IS such a big threat at this point? Nobody is. There are teams that are "hot" at the moment, but none that have been consistently enough to give them a real edge.

You've got the Pens at the top right now, but they are one of a bunch of teams that have been leap-frogging each other just about every game lately. And take away their high-powered offense and they don't have all that much. Fleury when he's hot. Nothing else when he isn't.

Montreal has steadily risen up to the top as well, but yet they've got injuries that could render them a non-factor possibly, depending on how things work out.

New Jersey is towards the top as usual, but then come playoff time they tend to pull a Detroit and go down easy.

Ottawa has been in free fall mode for quite awhile. If they stay in the playoffs it's only because of having such a hot start to the season, and if anybody wants a really easy first round they better hope they play the Sens.

The Rangers are in the middle of the pack. Some days they show up, others they don't.

Philly is another with a hot start that has faded.

Boston has seemingly snuck into the mix without much fanfare. They've got their problems, mainly revolving around if everyone can stay healthy.

Then you've got Carolina and Washington competing for the SE. It's very likely that both can make it into the playoffs. Whichever wins the division will almost certainly have enough points that they would have made the playoffs anyway.

Plus there's Buffalo not far behind, but not a very likely team to make it at this point.

The gap between all these teams is only 13 points (Pitts 99 and Buffalo 86).

Heck, the Canes have 90 now with three games to go. One win gives them 92. While there are exceptions, usually 92 points is enough to get in the playoffs most seasons. So it's not like they are a team that is unbelievably horrible. They are a team that as is would typically be in the playoffs. The only difference is that this season there aren't any 110-120 point teams in the east, or any 56 point teams like Philly last year that widen the gap. There are a bunch of teams right there at about the same level.

If the Canes are such a horrible team that doesn't really "deserve" to be in the playoffs, then what does that say about Pittsburgh and Montreal, who are at the top of the conference with just a few wins more in an 82 game season? The problem is that the Canes get bashed, while these other teams are given a pass.

Though, personally, I think this is the best situation the NHL has had for many years. I like that there are no teams (at least in the east) that have such a huge advantage. This parity is the most exciting thing that could happen, when with three-four games left in the season the standings could change dramatically and hardly anyone is safe from not making the playoffs. Every game is likely to count until the very last game played like it never has before.

If anyone is upset about some of the teams that might be left out, instead of bashing the Canes or the SE Division they need to be calling for a change in the playoffs to add more teams. After all, the playoff format has remained the same even after having added what, 8 additional teams?

Montreal and Pittsburgh may only have 4 more wins then Carolina, but 4 wins can make the difference between clinching a playoff spot 2 weeks before the season ends or fighting down to the last game. People aren't bashing the Canes, they're just upset and a little jealous of the division you play in. Let's look at the schedule for the last six games of the regular season.

Montreal plays:

*2 games against a team fighting hard for a playoff spot.(BUF)

*2 games against a team fighting for the division title.(OTT)

*2 games against a team eliminated from the playoffs.(TOR)

Pittsburgh plays: NJ once, NYR twice, NYI once, PHI twice

*4 games against a team fighting hard for a playoff spot.(NYR, PHI)

*1 games against a team fighting for the division title still. (NJ)

*1 game against a team eliminated from the playoffs.

Carolina plays: WAS twice, ATL once, TB twice, FLA once

*2 games against a team fighting for a playoff spot.(WAS)

*4 games against teams who would rather lose and increase their chances of drafting Stamkos.(ATL, TB)

Regardless, the fact remains that anything can happen in the playoffs, so it's just something that can happen to any division.