The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
rednblack

most wins should earn berth

It takes a lot to make it to overtime. That said, it doesn't happen in other sports, so it is odd to see it in action.

I'm not sure if I agree with 50% of the points you get for a win, seeing as how it only happens about 20% of the time. Perhaps 5 points for a win and 1 point for an OT loss would be appropriate, but good luck getting that changed :)

yea, this ot loss thing is really screwing us bigtime. i know last year, if it wasnt for shootouts, we would have been the 6th seed. and this year, we have 1 more win than the rangers [they have a game left] despite the rangers being in 5th.

What do you guys suggest? No points for an OT loss? I might be up for this discussion. Lord knows, in other sports you get squadoosh for a loss, OT or not. But the alternative is a bit scary.

If we were like basketball, we'd probably have 5 minute overtimes until there was a point differential at the end of one of them - the loser ending with nothing.

If we were like baseball, we'd probably have shootouts until the first unanswered goal was scored - the loser ending with nothing.

If we were like football, we'd probably have unlimited sudden death overtimes (much like the playoffs) - the loser ending with nothing.

No other major sport incorporates the point system - just overall record. Why should we?

EDIT: I love watching shootouts - I'd hate for them to go away. Should a loser of a shootout really get nothing? I know this sounds broken and torn, but I am about it. I'm just not sure.

I find that people's opinions on the OTL=1pt really depends on how it affects their own team.

Not just that but from season to season. People around here seem to forget that in 01-02 the Canes made the playoffs over Washington because of having 8 more Ties and OTL's that year (Washington had more wins).

Ridiculous. You guys choked down the stretch and don't deserve to be in the playoffs. If we lose tonight (in Regulation), then we choked and don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Thank you for PROVING the entire point with the two words you put in parentheses.

This is something that I decided to do at the end of last season when I saw the Isles make the playoffs because they won their final game in a shootout. These would be the standings for the Eastern conference if 3 points were awarded for a regulation win, 2 points were awarded for an OT/SO win, 1 point was awarded for an OT/SO loss, and 0 points were awarded for a regulation loss. This doesn't take into account the games that are still to be played tomorrow, but in this case, the top 8 teams in terms of wins (regardless of whether they came in regulation, OT, or SO) would make the playoffs. I'm also assuming that the division winners would be seeded 1-3. For breaking ties between two teams with the same number of points, the team with more regulation wins would be seeded higher. If two teams have the same number of regulation wins, the team that won the season series would be seeded higher. Since WSH and BOS are tied in points, BOS gets seeded higher because they won 2 games in regulation and WSH won 1 game in regulation and 1 game in a SO. NJD and PHI could switch (depends on results of each team's final game).

1) PIT* 141

2) MTL* 141

3) CAR* 128

4) OTT 131

5) NJD 128

6) PHI 128

7) NYR 127

8) BOS 126

9) WSH 126

10) BUF 121

11) FLA 114

12) TOR 111

13) NYI 104

14) TBL 98

15) ATL 95

That's quite the difference. But it does incorporate 3 points for a regulation win and 2 points for an OT win. I would say a win is a win.

On this season, just going by record alone, the standings in the east would be:

1) y- Penguins 47-34 +1

2) y- Canadiens 47-35 -1

3) y- Capitals 43-39

4) x- Devils 45-36

5) x- Hurricanes 43-39 +4

6) x- Senators 43-39

7) x- Rangers 42-39 -2

8) x- Flyers 41-40

9) Bruins 41-41 -2

10) Sabres 39-43

11) Panthers 38-44

12) Maple Leafs 36-46

13) Islanders 35-47

14) Thrashers 34-48

15) Lightning 31-51

I suppose it's silly to think about this, as everyone has the same opportunity to get points in OT, but it does change the landscape just a fuzz.

I haven't looked at how it would have affected us, but I have always thought IF the loser was going to get a point, it should not be at the end of regulation, but if they take it to a shootout. As far as the shootout goes, I hate them. They are exciting, but it's like ending a football game with a field goal contest. I'd rather see the 5 minute OT period and then give each team a point if still tied and send everyone home confused.

I haven't looked at how it would have affected us, but I have always thought IF the loser was going to get a point, it should not be at the end of regulation, but if they take it to a shootout. As far as the shootout goes, I hate them. They are exciting, but it's like ending a football game with a field goal contest. I'd rather see the 5 minute OT period and then give each team a point if still tied and send everyone home confused.

I don't really agree with this. My first NHL game was a tie and it was probably the most disappointing thing ever. Win or lose - that's the definition of sports. Ties just leave the fans unsatisfied.

The OT pt was introduced because teams were playing too conservative in regular season OT. Teams were more concerned about securing the 1 pt than pursuing that extra point for the win.

The scoring system should be:

2 points for a win in regulation.

2 points for a win in overtime. (It's still even-strength hockey. I think the OT should last 10 mins though)

1 point for a win in the shootout. (A glorified skills competition should not earn the same reward as a true win)

0 points for any type of loss.

There's incentive to win in regulation.. incentive to win in OT.. less reward for shootouts.. and no reward for any kind of loss.

That's a selectively used argument.

Nobody had a problem with the current system when it helped the Canes qualify for the playoffs in 2002 and make it to the SC finals. That year if you used regulations wins the Canes would have been around 10th and even the Caps, who finished second in the SE, had more wins.

Everyone played by the same points rules and it's not really worth arguing unless you've always been against it.

I think the eastern Conference had way too many OT games between playoff teams down the stretch, seeing those games decided by a shootout kinda ruined the fun a bit.

I've always been one of those people that believes no team should get rewarded for losing, I mean a shootout loss doesn't really even feel like a loss anymore. It's a stat that can easily be ignored come playoff time.

During the season when I listed to XM (i'm on hiatus now), but there was talk about changing the point system: 3 pts for Regulation win, 2 pts for OT win, and 1 pt for OTL. Now I don't know if this is something the league is actually thinking about, or just what XM was doing as point of discussion.

Anyone know?

This is something I would like to see

I like things how they are. Unfortunately, we never tried to get overtime points and always went for the win. But the current system keeps things exciting in my opinion. Just look at how intense things were all around the NHL the last few weeks. Sure it didn't end up how we wanted, but it was very enjoyable otherwise.

Honestly, I don't know where I stand on this subject. I think that any team should try to win it in regulation. However, some times both teams come out swinging and an extra five is necessary. I think that the winner should still get full points, because you have no way of knowing when you and the other team are going to make it a deathmatch. That being said, I'd like to see a few more OTs added in before a shootout. I think that way it is more likely that the winner will be decided in OT instead of during the SO. And I like the idea that the loser doesn't get any points. If that hurts our team, so be it. If that helps our team, so be it. It will give teams the incentive to go ahead and get the job done because it's all or nothing.

That being said, I do enjoy SOs. Glorified skills show or not, it's always fun to watch the one-on-one competition. And sometimes players make spectacular goals, or goalies make amazing saves. I can't complain there.