The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Red_Storm

Winter Classic II

While I'd think the Habs coming down from Montreal would make for the best game, you know NBC doesn't want that Canadian market. While the New York-Boston rivalry could be a selling point, the Bruins aren't exactly oozing sexiness from a marketing standpoint. They've gone to the Crosby well already with this thing... which leaves us the obvious solution:

OOOVEEEEEEE~!

Seriously, if they don't want Montreal, the new schedule next season could allow for a New York-Detroit pairing which is probably what we'll get.

Maybe New York vs. Chicago? Chicago's a big market and a young team that's showing some life with the fans. And Commish Gary Bettman was in Chicago last week and met with Blackhawk management leading to a lot of speculation that Chicago's Soldier Field or Wrigley Field might be the site of the next Classic.

Rangers V Devils I'd tune into that brawl anyday, would be cool if all the divisions could have an outdoor game. Wont happen but would be cool.

The teams I'd expect to see are the Wings, Hawks, Caps, Oilers, or Canes.

I'd especially like to see the Canes play, then Walker could pummel Avery in the great outdoors :D

My guess is it will either be Boston or Detroit, Boston for the rivalry between ny and Boston obviously, or Detroit just for their market and fan base. I'm sure it will be a blast at Yankee stadium though regardless of who they play.

What exactly doess "Another TV market" mean? Either way, I still think if NBC air's it, it'll be the Penguins vs Rangers.

Not after all the complaining Crosby made about it last year, and montreal has already been in a winter classic.

The reality is, teams simply don't like playing in those games.

If Buffalo misses the playoffs by 1 point, you can bet they'll look at the Winter Classic as an excuse.

By another tv market, I'm assuming they mean LA.

Call it untraditional, but LA is the second largest TV market in the league (regardless if ratings aren't huge there). Combine LA and New York into one single event, and you've got the entire country of America covered coast to coast.

Not after all the complaining Crosby made about it last year, and montreal has already been in a winter classic.

The reality is, teams simply don't like playing in those games.

If Buffalo misses the playoffs by 1 point, you can bet they'll look at the Winter Classic as an excuse.

By another tv market, I'm assuming they mean LA.

Call it untraditional, but LA is the second largest TV market in the league (regardless if ratings aren't huge there). Combine LA and New York into one single event, and you've got the entire country of America covered coast to coast.

Good point as far as ratings goes. They also might try to cover a Canadian team. Edmonton perhaps? I don't know what the ratings are like for them though...

Yeah, but no one in the middle gives a rat's *edit* about LA. Plus they're not very good.

Good point as far as ratings goes. They also might try to cover a Canadian team. Edmonton perhaps? I don't know what the ratings are like for them though...

Edmonton has already been in one. And the entire country of Canada is about the population base of California. Figuratively speaking, you have more to lose in America then to gain in Canada by taking on a Canadian team for the winter Classic. If there is any city they'd try to use from Canada, it'd have to be Toronto. Toronto is just about the ONLY Canadian city that comes even remotely close to being a household name across America.

Edmonton has already been in one. And the entire country of Canada is about the population base of California. Figuratively speaking, you have more to lose in America then to gain in Canada by taking on a Canadian team for the winter Classic. If there is any city they'd try to use from Canada, it'd have to be Toronto. Toronto is just about the ONLY Canadian city that comes even remotely close to being a household name across America.

I really think Montreal is very known city here in America....

As is Quebec. Their Winter Carnival is well known especially in the NE.

that is true also.....watching Jay Lenos "street walker" skit can really give the wrong impression of Americans, we do know some stuff...lol

One can only imagine if they had a winter classic with an "untraditional" tv market...

Arizona vs Carolina.... street hockey. <_<

How about a NY Boston classic? Would draw more folks down from Beantown.
Recent rumors say it is indeed Boston as the likely opponent. One of the holdups on the deal is NBC's broadcast of the NHL ends after this season. Reports are the League wants to keep the NHL on NBC (to show more Pittsburgh games :P ) and is using the 'last game at Yankee Stadium' as a bargaining chip.

If the Pens can't find an opponent at The Big House, I can always tell Armanti Edwards in the Chic-Fil-A line here at App State to put on some skates and we'll send in the Mountaineers' football team... :lol:

Maybe whoever is this years Cup Champ ( sadly not the Canes ) or a West Coast team ( Avs? ) for broader appeal?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=231692&hubname=nhl' target="_blank">TSN[/post] is reporting that the NHL is close to a deal that would bring the next outdoor game to Yankee Stadium next year. TSN says as the Yankees are moving to a new stadium after this season, the proposed NHL game would be the last sporting event to be held at the (old) Yankee Stadium. Rather than the Devils or Islanders as an opponent, NBC would want the Rangers to play a team from another TV Market.

I think this would be a nice selection for the next game and a good sendoff before going to the scrapheap for the old House that Ruth Built.