The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
dp1one

No. 1 Montreal Canadiens vs. No. 6 Philadelphia Flyers, Flyers advance to ECF

Now Habs fans will be haunted, until they win their next cup, with having to think that they could have missed out on the 2008 Stanley Cup because management decided to go with a 20 year old goalie with no play off experience. This for a second round pick. From my angle, poor goalkeeping was a big factor in them losing the series. It seemed that everybody in Hockey questioned this move when it happened. It played out as a really stupid move. I kinda feel for whoever is their 2nd round pick next year, he will probably be scrutinized pretty closely as the guy that they gave up Huet for. Oh well, thats hockey 'eh?

Well for starters, there's no Huet curse, that title is already held by the Roy curse.

Everyone questioned the move, because sports analysts always take the safe road and never praise risks until they can look at it in hindsight. It seems rather ironic that so many people in the media criticized the trade, yet none of them had a problem selling each series like it was Price VS Boston/Phillie. It's not so much that Price was a 20 year old rookie goalie going into the playoffs; I think it might have had more to do with the fact that everyone expected Price to be the next Roy. Price is going to be a great goalie, but there's no text book course of events that every potential goalie follows.

The fact is Price is 1-1 in the playoffs, while Huet is 0-2 and you have to ask yourself: Would Huet have lead Montreal to the Finals? If the answer is strongly no, which i think it would have been, then there's more reward running with Price. Even with the loss, Price has 2 playoff series under his experience now, which will only help next year. I like to look at Pittsburgh. Fleury and the Pens played horrible against the Sens last year. They were a very young team learning the ropes. This year they are walk their way through each round.

That's misleading...

Boston killed everyone during the regular season....the only reason why they were the 8th seed was because Montreal beat them all 8 games. If Boston hadn't struggled so much against Montreal in the regular season they could have contended for 1st in the conference as well.

And how were they completely outclassed by Phillie? They out shot, out hit, out puck possession, and out skated the Flyers. They hit a total of 14 posts the entire series, while Phillie scored goals off of a number of odd deflections. I don't mind losing, but please don't make it sound like they got completely outplayed, because that's so far from the truth. Montreal ran into a hot goalie and bad luck.

1/3 of the team lacked playoff experience, I think that might have something to do with it. I don't know why you're being so bitter about this, it's not even your team? Underdogs win series all the time and its pretty obvious that John Stevens plagiarized a page out of Claude Julien's book.

Carey Price is a 20 year old kid playing in one of the biggest pressure cooker cities in the league. He's got areas to improve, but I think you're being a little too hard on him.

Boston killed no one in the regular season. The reason they were even in the playoffs at all was because down the stretch they made it their mission to play for the extra point, rather than the win. They had trouble scoring throughout the season, and in the playoffs as well. Yet they still managed to push it to 7 games, against a more talented Montreal team.

They were completely outclassed by Philly because Philly beat them in 5. You can bring up all other stats, but the fact of the matter is, the final series was 4-1 and could have easily been a sweep, if not for a collapse in Game 1. Montreal never had the lead in a game in the series until the final game. It's hard to claim you were better than them when you're constantly trying to catch up to them.

I don't see how I'm being too hard on Price, considering he was being claimed the next coming of Roy no less than a month ago. It's one or the other. Either he's a 20-year old kid playing in the playoffs, which is fine, but that gives full right to analyze his rookie mistakes. Or he's the next coming of Roy, which gives full right to criticize his play.

They were completely outclassed by Philly because Philly beat them in 5. You can bring up all other stats, but the fact of the matter is, the final series was 4-1 and could have easily been a sweep, if not for a collapse in Game 1. Montreal never had the lead in a game in the series until the final game. It's hard to claim you were better than them when you're constantly trying to catch up to them.

I don't see how I'm being too hard on Price, considering he was being claimed the next coming of Roy no less than a month ago. It's one or the other. Either he's a 20-year old kid playing in the playoffs, which is fine, but that gives full right to analyze his rookie mistakes. Or he's the next coming of Roy, which gives full right to criticize his play.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Montreal was completely outclassed in the series. From what I saw, Philly won because they took better advantage of their chances. Outclassed means they had no chance, and Montreal had a chance, plenty of them in fact, they just couldn't capitalize on them.

As for Price vs Huet, it's not clear that Huet offered a better chance than what Montreal got from Price. Huet was far from a difference maker against Philly in the first round and was no where near the goalie he was at the end of the regular season in the playoffs. Huet's performances don't exactly back up that he would have given Montreal a better chance to win.

Its a valid argument, but here's the thing about that.....

As a Habs fan I've seen this argument used against me on both sides of the fence. In '86 and '93 Montreal won the cup, despite being out shot, out hit, out skated, and out matched in every series (at least those are the arguments given). Roy stood on his head and was the biggest reason why we won both cups and cannot be denied. I can't tell you how many people have told me that Montreal had no business winning the cup in '86 or '93, that we got extremely lucky and didn't really earn the cup like other cup championship teams did.

Yet.....

In 1986....Montreal beat Boston 3-0, Harford 4-3, NYR 4-1, and Calgary 4-1.

In 1993....Montreal beat Quebec 4-2, Buffalo 4-0, Islanders 4-1, and LA 4-1.

*With the exception of the Hartford series, many of these series seem to play out the same way as this MTL/PHI series. If Luck played absolutely no part in Phillie's victory over the Habs than I'm tired of people trying to downplay my enjoyment of Montreal's last two cups to luck.

It shouldn't be Price's fault that the media labeled him the next Roy. Like I said in my last post; Price is going to be a great goalie, but there's no text book course of events that every potential goalie follows. Brodeur dropped the ball hard in his rookie series against the Rangers, and apparently Martin spoke out about to defend Price.

Every Cup winner has fans in other fanbases that claim they don't deserve the Cup, that they got lucky, etc. You're talking to a Carolina fanbase. You don't think we know about that?

Of course luck has a large part of any series. However, luck can only go so far. Luck isn't the reason the Canadiens lost this series.

And if it was only the media that wet themselves over Price, fine. However, it's the fanbase (admittedly probably feeding off the media) that annoys me. When Price was doing well, you hear comments about "Jesus" Price. When Price doesn't do well, it's "he's a rookie". One or the other.

Every Cup winner has fans in other fanbases that claim they don't deserve the Cup, that they got lucky, etc. You're talking to a Carolina fanbase. You don't think we know about that?

Of course luck has a large part of any series. However, luck can only go so far. Luck isn't the reason the Canadiens lost this series.

Carolina did not get lucky with their cup victory. The only thing that played into their advantage was the Salary Cap, but that's not luck, just timing. And I'm not saying Luck is the sole reason Montreal lost the series, but as firehazzard said, claiming they got completely outclassed is a bit much.

And if it was only the media that wet themselves over Price, fine. However, it's the fanbase (admittedly probably feeding off the media) that annoys me. When Price was doing well, you hear comments about "Jesus" Price. When Price doesn't do well, it's "he's a rookie". One or the other.

Don't take this the wrong way, but that sounds like a bit of speculation on your part. The opinions of Montreal fans about Price varies drastically. Let's not generalize all Hab fans to be fair weather Price fans. There's an entire thread in the Habs forum dedicated to this exact topic. There are just as many Pro-Halak and Pro-Huet fans in Montreal as there are Pro-Price fans. Many people feel that Gainey forced Price onto Carbonneau too quickly, and there are many people who believe that Halak is just as good if not better than Price. Right now Price needs a veteran goalie, one who has playoff success to mentor him. What Montreal should have done was try and trade Huet for Kolzig straight up. Because Kolzig knows exactly what it's like to be the center of attention and pressure for a hockey team. He did it for year in Washington.

You don't think Carolina got lucky with their Cup victory? Carolina was lucky that the high stick to Koivu wasn't called, and lucky that it knocked Koivu out of the series. They were lucky that they faced Buffalo at a time when their entire defense was devestated. They were lucky that MA Bergeron knocked Ladd into Rollie and injured him.

And that's not even going into individual games. They worked hard for the Cup, but to claim that we weren't lucky just isn't true.

Outclass - to surpass something or somebody else, so as to appear to be in a higher class

And frankly, when you don't lead for most of the series, and you lose in 5, you're outclassed.

As for the Price thing, let's just say that the Price section of your fanbase happens to be more vocal than the others.

You don't think Carolina got lucky with their Cup victory? Carolina was lucky that the high stick to Koivu wasn't called, and lucky that it knocked Koivu out of the series. They were lucky that they faced Buffalo at a time when their entire defense was devestated. They were lucky that MA Bergeron knocked Ladd into Rollie and injured him.

And that's not even going into individual games. They worked hard for the Cup, but to claim that we weren't lucky just isn't true.

I see what you mean, and they are valid point.

Outclass - to surpass something or somebody else, so as to appear to be in a higher class

And frankly, when you don't lead for most of the series, and you lose in 5, you're outclassed.

I'm talking about the breakdown of the actual hockey games themselves, not semantics.

As for the Price thing, let's just say that the Price section of your fanbase happens to be more vocal than the others.

I'm not sure where you're basing this on? Seeing that you live in NC, I'm assuming you're not basing this opinion on people you've met in Montreal, so you must be speaking from messages boards.

Look if you want to bash the Canadiens, go right ahead, it's your board and you're entitled to say whatever you feel comfortable saying. I'm not going to continue this any further. I'm happy with my teams accomplishments this year and look forward to next season.

Now Habs fans will be haunted, until they win their next cup, with having to think that they could have missed out on the 2008 Stanley Cup because management decided to go with a 20 year old goalie with no play off experience. This for a second round pick. From my angle, poor goalkeeping was a big factor in them losing the series. It seemed that everybody in Hockey questioned this move when it happened. It played out as a really stupid move. I kinda feel for whoever is their 2nd round pick next year, he will probably be scrutinized pretty closely as the guy that they gave up Huet for. Oh well, thats hockey 'eh?

I don't think that's a fair assesment, Price was on fire all season long and made Montreal the 1st seed in the East. The loss should not be put on the goalie alone. I don't think they will look back on the trade at all. They will go forward and learn from their experience.

I don't think that's a fair assesment, Price was on fire all season long and made Montreal the 1st seed in the East. The loss should not be put on the goalie alone. I don't think they will look back on the trade at all. They will go forward and learn from their experience.

So wait...It's not fair to put the loss on the goalie alone, but Price made Montreal the 1st seed? :huh:

So wait...It's not fair to put the loss on the goalie alone, but Price made Montreal the 1st seed? :huh:

He's saying Price has proven that he can accomplish important tasks, you're making it sound like this series has proven that he's a fluke.

He's saying Price has proven that he can accomplish important tasks, you're making it sound like this series has proven that he's a fluke.

Not a fluke. Just inexperienced. He's a young goaltender, and he made mistakes. It's all I'm saying. I know it isn't Price's fault, but I'm glad he was shown as such, because the media surrounding any Habs games in the playoffs revolved around Price and how amazing he was.

Idolization of a player annoys me, especially when there were equally good players on the opposing team. Thomas went from a joke to taking the #1 seed to 7 games. How much did you hear about him in the series?

Let me rephrase that. He helped Montreal's ride to become the #1 seed.

I come down on the side of Price is a pretty good goalie...he/Habs went deeper than Huet and Alex...right?!?

Not a fluke. Just inexperienced. He's a young goaltender, and he made mistakes. It's all I'm saying. I know it isn't Price's fault, but I'm glad he was shown as such, because the media surrounding any Habs games in the playoffs revolved around Price and how amazing he was.

Idolization of a player annoys me, especially when there were equally good players on the opposing team. Thomas went from a joke to taking the #1 seed to 7 games. How much did you hear about him in the series?

None of that's Price's fault, that's media coverage. I'm with you on that part of your argument. I watch all my Hab games on rds (french channel) because I refuse, utterly REFUSE, to watch the games on the english American channels because the commentators are so bias is hurt. Atlanta's commentators aren't bad. Boston's and New Yorks are horrible. And Buffalo's announcers sounds like he wants to marry the Sabres. It happens all the time. I even hate watching Hab/Leaf games on CBC because all they do is praise Toronto. That's just the way it is, and if I don't like it I simply changed the channel. It's like me coming here. The media goes looking for what they feel will be the best story. A 20 year old kid pushing for the cup is a big story, while a sloppy Tim Thomas just doesn't sell. <_< That's pretty much what it boils down too.

I come down on the side of Price is a pretty good goalie...he/Habs went deeper than Huet and Alex...right?!?

Montreal was predicted to finish 12th in the conference. People seem to be forgetting this. The only thing Montreal possibly overachieved this year was 1st seed. But that doesn't mean 2nd or 3rd seed would have been a lack of accomplishment.

Good series, but it definetly didnt go the way I expected. Price's age finally caught up to him, he had been doing so great up until now it looked like he could pull a Patrick Roy/Cam Ward. Give lots of credit to Biron though, he stole the series IMO.