The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
dp1one

No. 1 Montreal Canadiens vs. No. 6 Philadelphia Flyers, Flyers advance to ECF

''>
' target="_blank">
[/post]

I can't say I agree with you...that was a text book trip

1. Goalies rarely ever dive, especially in the corners, because if the officials don't make ANY call the goalie is way out of position with the net wide open.

2. Price's leg clearly kicks out as Downie's stick slew foots him. He wasn't even facing Downie, for him to time something like that is quite an assumption. Price's mistake is that he turned his back to the plays, that's always a no-no in goalie coaching.

There are a few things that make me think Price dove even though there was contact and Downie probably got enough of the skate to trip him.

First in my opinion when you watch the video he appears to be going down before the stick hits his skate, now whether thats a dive or anticipating contact and loosing your balance because of your gear I don't have the slightest clue. As for if that is enough contact to actually knock him over I have no clue, but even if there was sufficient contact he still looks like he is embellishing the call.

Actually, what bugs me the most about the play on second watch is that Price appears to knock his own mask off while falling down. Now if that was on purpose or just errant flailing is debatable, but if there isn't a penalty, on either player, play still has to stop, which is a clear win for Price.

Price reminded me of Ryan Miller the first time the Sabres went to Philly in their first round series in 05'-06' after being up 2-0 in the series at home. Not completely horrible, but definitely shakey, fumbling the puck on simple shots. Miller was able to pull it back together though and only allowed one goal in the games five and six to take the series. Carey is also five years younger than he was though and I can't imagine where his heads' at right now. And what is going on with his glove...

Carbonneau said it best though, I can't remember his exactly words but it was something like, "He's twenty years old. You have to remember that. We also had a 5-on-3 for two minutes and didn't capitalize. We had our five best players on the ice."

And Hoyle, I could have sworn I did hear the Flyers fans booing the Canadian anthem, at least before it started. I mean, it could have been something else, or just loud crowd noice perhaps that just sounded like booing to me. It actually sounded like they were booing Briere, since he was on the jumbotron telling everyone to please rise and respect the singing of the national anthems. But then again, there is so much booing going on at the Wachovia Center in generally that it's hard to tell when it stops and starts. lol

There was a reason for the 17-2 edge. Stupid penalties by the Flyers Bullies. I think you left out things like a 2 minute 5 on 3 and a 5 minute continous powerplay.

That being said Carey is looking a little scary. Appears to be slipping a little mentally and letting the bullies get into his head.

I'm well aware of all the PPs montreal had, but let's not make it sound like they were gift wrapped for Montreal. The Flyers are playing extremely dirty and there were a number of plays that have gone uncalled over the sereies. I don't know if any of your seen that elbow Richards landed on Halak's face in the third.

There are a few things that make me think Price dove even though there was contact and Downie probably got enough of the skate to trip him.

First in my opinion when you watch the video he appears to be going down before the stick hits his skate, now whether thats a dive or anticipating contact and loosing your balance because of your gear I don't have the slightest clue. As for if that is enough contact to actually knock him over I have no clue, but even if there was sufficient contact he still looks like he is embellishing the call.

Actually, what bugs me the most about the play on second watch is that Price appears to knock his own mask off while falling down. Now if that was on purpose or just errant flailing is debatable, but if there isn't a penalty, on either player, play still has to stop, which is a clear win for Price.

hmm see this is what bothers me about this whole play. If it's that obvious Price dove, you think there'd be a general concensus of how the play went down. I've heard just as many people argue that Price started to fall before Downie's stick touched his leg (like you have) as there are people who think he didn't start to fall until well after Downie's stick left his skate.

As for the helmet. Price probably took his helmet off himself, considering the play would be whistled down the moment he is without his helmet. This is no different then a goalie skating way out of his net a freezing the puck to prevent a breakaway. Most officials will issue a warning to a goalie who does this, and then issue a delay of game if he does it again. If you want to call that cheap go right ahead, I can list a number of things that phillie did last night that i'd consider much more cheap.

And Hoyle, I could have sworn I did hear the Flyers fans booing the Canadian anthem, at least before it started. I mean, it could have been something else, or just loud crowd noice perhaps that just sounded like booing to me. It actually sounded like they were booing Briere, since he was on the jumbotron telling everyone to please rise and respect the singing of the national anthems. But then again, there is so much booing going on at the Wachovia Center in generally that it's hard to tell when it stops and starts. lol

Compared to the disrespect shown to the American anthem in the Bell Centre, I'd say Flyer fans carried themeselves well (at least for that anthem).

To be completely honest, even if they outright booed the Canadian anthem, the incident would have been forgotten here by the end of the night. I mean it's not like our two countries have any animosity towards each other. It's merely silly judgement by fans. In fact I even seen a number of people with "Crush the Canadiens" shirts singing the Canadian anthem. For a city with a tarnished image for booing anything and everything, I thought that was a nice glimpse of true respect.

Price obviously took off his own helmet there. It wasn't to stop play, it was to embellish the call. Yeah, Downie touched Price's skate in an attempt to reach the puck. Now, I don't know if it was enough to send Price flying like that, but I don't think it was. There have been plenty of plays where a goaltender is caught in no-man's land and the opposing players are trying for the puck. They all stay on their skates, because they know they've got to get back in the net.

Price took the easy route and went for the dive. Just another example of his youth showing up in the series.

hmm see this is what bothers me about this whole play. If it's that obvious Price dove, you think there'd be a general concensus of how the play went down. I've heard just as many people argue that Price started to fall before Downie's stick touched his leg (like you have) as there are people who think he didn't start to fall until well after Downie's stick left his skate.

As for the helmet. Price probably took his helmet off himself, considering the play would be whistled down the moment he is without his helmet. This is no different then a goalie skating way out of his net a freezing the puck to prevent a breakaway. Most officials will issue a warning to a goalie who does this, and then issue a delay of game if he does it again. If you want to call that cheap go right ahead, I can list a number of things that phillie did last night that i'd consider much more cheap.

True. I guess I sounded a little more confident than I meant to. I suppose I should have said there are things that make me question if Price dove or not... It isn't a open or shut case and in the end I think they made the right call not calling a dive.

The elbow to Halak near the end of the game was a really stupid play. But Price was taking some whacks at the Flyers too. And the thing that gets me the most about fans booing the other countries anthem is that their own team likely has at least some players on it from that country. But then its a hockey game and everything probably won't always make sense...

Price obviously took off his own helmet there. It wasn't to stop play, it was to embellish the call. Yeah, Downie touched Price's skate in an attempt to reach the puck. Now, I don't know if it was enough to send Price flying like that, but I don't think it was. There have been plenty of plays where a goaltender is caught in no-man's land and the opposing players are trying for the puck. They all stay on their skates, because they know they've got to get back in the net.

Price took the easy route and went for the dive. Just another example of his youth showing up in the series.

Yes see this is what I'm saying...nice job Frog. When I look at the replay, I see two players going for a puck in the corner and then one of them slips when he gets there...or "dives." Downie might have touched him, but I don't see anything that would result in such a fall like the one Price gave. Frog makes another good point, and that is how Price is really starting to show his youth in some of these games...poor puck-handling, poor positioning, etc. Yes he is a remarkably calm goaltender, but I think starting in Game 5 of the Boston series Carey Price at times has been too calm or not focused enough. The mental mistakes could be getting to him.

The elbow to Halak near the end of the game was a really stupid play. But Price was taking some whacks at the Flyers too. And the thing that gets me the most about fans booing the other countries anthem is that their own team likely has at least some players on it from that country. But then its a hockey game and everything probably won't always make sense...

I'm sorry..but that was hilarious!

I look at the whole booing thing like brothers fighting...sure they fight amongst them selves...but we would have Canada's back if someone attacked and vice versa.

I dont' see how that makes sense...How does taking his helmet off embellish a trip...it's on opposite ends of the body. The helmet came off for one reason only and that was to stop the play. It's a rule in the NHL, once a goalies helmet it off the whistle is automatically blown. Besides it looks more like his head hit the ice then his glove pulling anything off.

As for Downie, it doesn't matter if he was going for the puck or not. Penalties aren't called based on intent, they are called on what actually transpires. Downie's stick slew foot the goalie, this much cannot be denied. I watched the replay many times and Downie's stick clearly pushes Price's feet further apart. What looks like an embellishment is actually Price trying to continue playing the puck as he was falling, his eyes never leave the puck. Idk I was watching the game with a referee and he said it was a blanent penalty.

I think what's being missed here is that Downie made a dirty play, regardless if it was intended or not.

A dirty play, in your opinion. I don't see it as that. Replace Dowdie with any other player in that situation, and there'd be no cries of "dirty play".

The question is whether or not Dowdie put enough pressure behind his stick to take out the skate of the goaltender. I don't think so, but I think a goaltender can sell it enough to get a penalty called.

And he can embellish it by taking off his helmet by making the impact of him falling seem greater than it is. If you see someone hit the ice, and his helmet goes flying off, doesn't it seem like he fell harder than a guy who hit the ice and his helmet stays on?

A dirty play, in your opinion. I don't see it as that. Replace Dowdie with any other player in that situation, and there'd be no cries of "dirty play".

The question is whether or not Dowdie put enough pressure behind his stick to take out the skate of the goaltender. I don't think so, but I think a goaltender can sell it enough to get a penalty called.

And he can embellish it by taking off his helmet by making the impact of him falling seem greater than it is. If you see someone hit the ice, and his helmet goes flying off, doesn't it seem like he fell harder than a guy who hit the ice and his helmet stays on?

I'm not really looking at the name on the back of the jersey.

You're saying that Price knew he was falling so he purposely smacked his head on the ice so his helmet would fall off? Risk a concussion for a dive? <_<

It has nothing to do with how much pressure Downie put on his stick, it has more to do with whether or not his stick took Price's skate off it's edge...

I drew a picture.

trip.png

Downie took Price's skate off it's edge, causing the goalie to lose balance and he goes down.

I don't care which player did that....

You're saying that Price knew he was falling so he purposely smacked his head on the ice so his helmet would fall off? Risk a concussion for a dive? <_<

I'm saying Price wasn't falling fast enough to have his helmet go flying off like that. He removed it to make it seem like it had.

And Hoyle, it's obvious you care about one of the players enough to get a clear view of this. If it had been any other goaltender, would you honestly have the same opinion?

It was probably a trip. Probably not enough to cause Price to fall like he did, but it was a penalty. Hardly a dirty play though.

If it had been any other goaltender, would you honestly have the same opinion?

Yes I would...I've called Hab players out on dives and embellishments before....

Those are embellishments.

Look this is your board, so I'll leave it at that...You're entitled to your opinion as I am to mine, but please refrain from calling me bias, because I am not being bias.

sorry if I looked like I was taking any frustration out on you Icefrog.

This is a tough one for me.

I like both teams, and Montreal is the last Canadian team left in it. They [ a Canadian team ] haven't won the cup in some time..still, hope it goes to 7 games

I was just thinking(always a bad sign).

This appears to be mostly standard playoff fare.

Hoyle- All I can say is it could be worse. You could be playing Buffalo. if that were the case you would have plenty more to talk about. :lol:

PS. Appreciate the way you defend your team in a responsible manner.

Are you implying that the Sabres are a "dirtier" team than the Flyers?

No way the Sabres are dirtier. The worst you see from the Sabres is the occasional dive from Roy.

The fans can be very obnoxious and whatnot, but it wasn't too bad this year aside from the bad apple here and there at the arena.

This has been a good series to watch from the beginning. I hope it goes 7 games. Hatcher really took a stupid penalty. I enjoyed seeing the Habs get 2 goals off of it. Go Habs!!

Ditto! Ditto! Ditto!

Ditto! Ditto! Ditto!

Hmm....I guess I expected a different response from this forum, after seeing how irate most of you were when Belfour accused the Hurricanes of diving.

Hmm....I guess I expected a different response from this forum, after seeing how irate most of you were when Belfour accused the Hurricanes of diving.

:rolleyes:

I don't want to guess at what you're implying, so let's just leave the topic alone for now. Some people think Price dove, others don't...now we all move on and look forward to Game 4 in this series.

:rolleyes:

I don't want to guess at what you're implying, so let's just leave the topic alone for now. Some people think Price dove, others don't...now we all move on and look forward to Game 4 in this series.

if that's how you feel fine. I have no problems laying this to rest though disagreement.