The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
dp1one

No. 1 Montreal Canadiens vs. No. 6 Philadelphia Flyers, Flyers advance to ECF

lol

I agree with that, Montreal has hit a lot of posts this series and it could easily be 2-2. I was implying that taking out Price is going to hurt his confidence in the long run. They're not showing a lot confidence in the best up and coming goalie IMO in the league by yanking him so fast. He won't get threw the growing pains by watching on the bench.

Sabre Reference time :P

I remember back in the 06 playoffs in the 1st round, Ryan Miller played awful in games 3 in 4 Philly letting in 9 goals in 2 games. A goal very similar to the Richards goal in game 3 was scored by Umberger in game 4, a weak, lame duck wrist shot that lost us the game. Lindy Ruff aka Linda Ruffles on this board, decided to keep Miller in for game 5 and he came back with a shutout. He showed confidence in his goalie knowing that'd he rebound rather than just switch goalies and hope for the best. I thought it was pretty weak and impulsive to take out Price just like that.

I remember that and it did work out well for Linda Ruffles (you're a good sport Quince, lol). To play the devils advocate, in 06 when Ward had a rough game against the ....gasp...Sabres, Laviolette pulled him and opted to come back wth Gerber who was able to pull off a shut out(hides). He then came back with Ward for the next game who went the rest of the way, and the rest....as they say (whoever they are).... is history.

You just had to bring that up didnt you? <_< I'm jk, that a good point too

The only thing that's different though is with Miller and Price is that the shots that they let in were easy saves just trying to get the puck on net not to score. Those are deflating goals to any team. They lost the game becuase of bad goaltending. Sometimes I think there can be an I in team with hockey because teams can fall on a goalie shoulders when necessary.

Ward I believed faced an onslaught of shots that game, I think it was game 3 of the 06 ECF and didn't have much help in front of him that night at all and it wasn't really his bad goaltending that cost that game, rather it was the team.

The only thing that's different though is with Miller and Price is that the shots that they let in were easy saves just trying to get the puck on net not to score. Those are deflating goals to any team. They lost the game becuase of bad goaltending. Sometimes I think there can be an I in team with hockey because teams can fall on a goalie shoulders when necessary.

Ward I believed faced an onslaught of shots that game, I think it was game 3 of the 06 ECF and didn't have much help in front of him that night at all and it wasn't really his bad goaltending that cost that game, rather it was the team.

Wow, you remember it better than I do and those are good points. Ive read and heard a bunch of Habs fans complaining about trading away Huet but I really dont think it would have made a difference. Halak played fine last game and gave them a chance to win one. I cant decide whether or not Philly has a better game plan or just better execution...or both.

Either way, I cant wait for this round to be over because all the series have been snoozers.

Wow, you remember it better than I do and those are good points. Ive read and heard a bunch of Habs fans complaining about trading away Huet but I really dont think it would have made a difference. Halak played fine last game and gave them a chance to win one. I cant decide whether or not Philly has a better game plan or just better execution...or both.

Either way, I cant wait for this round to be over because all the series have been snoozers.

That's booing...I'm sorry...

Not as bad as the booing in Montreal, but that was booing.

You really hear booing? Well to each his own. You will never get all 19,000+ fans not to do it.

You know Hoyle, I was in Montreal in February with the Flyers Fan Club to see the Feb.16 game. Even though we lost that game, I had a great time. Beautiful city, great people, and a lot of snow...lol... I had fun at the Bell Center, had Pizza Pizza and i loved the crowd and the passion they had for the game of hockey. I don't remember them booing our national anthem though. My friend that went to Montreal with me was at the game on Monday night and was upset that they booed "OH, Canada", so we are not all rude and uncaring. :)

P.S. I am going to try to get to a game in Ottawa next year.

lol

Sabre Reference time :P

I remember back in the 06 playoffs in the 1st round, Ryan Miller played awful in games 3 in 4 Philly letting in 9 goals in 2 games. A goal very similar to the Richards goal in game 3 was scored by Umberger in game 4, a weak, lame duck wrist shot that lost us the game. Lindy Ruff aka Linda Ruffles on this board, decided to keep Miller in for game 5 and he came back with a shutout. He showed confidence in his goalie knowing that'd he rebound rather than just switch goalies and hope for the best. I thought it was pretty weak and impulsive to take out Price just like that.

I totally brought this up like 5 pages ago but no one responded. haha

I think I agree with Philly closing it out in 5, but its not the goaltending that hurting the Habs, IMO. The Flyers are keeping them to the perimeter and not giving up the neutral zone. That pretty much takes the speed out the Hab's game and although there have been plenty of SOG's from the Habs, none have surprised Biron and forced him out of position. He's seeing everything.

*hides behind Quince*

I agree it's not the goaltending of Montreal... But the perimeter argument I believe has to do with Phillie's own end. They basically give Montreal the point for free and box in low pushing Montreal's smaller forwards to the outside (hence the perimeter)....this allows Biron to see every shot because the traffic is taken away. It's working, but it's god ugly hockey. I can't really complain though, Montreal used that strategy to win their cup in 93 with Roy.

You really hear booing? Well to each his own. You will never get all 19,000+ fans not to do it.

You know Hoyle, I was in Montreal in February with the Flyers Fan Club to see the Feb.16 game. Even though we lost that game, I had a great time. Beautiful city, great people, and a lot of snow...lol... I had fun at the Bell Center, had Pizza Pizza and i loved the crowd and the passion they had for the game of hockey. I don't remember them booing our national anthem though. My friend that went to Montreal with me was at the game on Monday night and was upset that they booed "OH, Canada", so we are not all rude and uncaring. :)

P.S. I am going to try to get to a game in Ottawa next year.

Don't worry jwillie I wasn't trying to call out Phillie fans. I wouldn't say it was blatant booing, it was more noise. Which is what Montreal fans have been doing the the Star Spangled Banner lately (making enough noise to drown out the singer). It's sad and it'd be better if it never happened anywhere, but I try not to give the incidents too much thought or debate because I think that only provokes it.

He speaks true points, but Miller wasn't 20.

I know, I said that. ;)

Price reminded me of Ryan Miller the first time the Sabres went to Philly in their first round series in 05'-06' after being up 2-0 in the series at home. Not completely horrible, but definitely shakey, fumbling the puck on simple shots. Miller was able to pull it back together though and only allowed one goal in the games five and six to take the series. Carey is also five years younger than he was though and I can't imagine where his heads' at right now. And what is going on with his glove...

haha My point wasn't so much about how it was the same situation, and it was before they actually put Halak in. I was mostly just saying that Carey's play reminded me of Miller's first time in Philly his first playoff, but luckily he was able to sort himself out and hopefully Carey would be able to as well. Unfortunately Carey is quite young.

The problem with montreal's goalies is they see 2 shot every 4 minutes

then Montreal takes a penalty and they get peppered with 4 or 5 in 2mins.

Goalies who sit there watching the game all night tend to come up cold when the odd shot comes in.

I think Halak was put in because Montreal seemed to show a lot of life in them when Price was pulled and Halak was put in during Game 3

IMO the Habs don't have enough grit to deal with Philly and thats part of why they aren't getting any "ugly goals" I think Philly will take the series but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Habs make it back to Philly. The Habs fans will be wild as usual and the players should feed off it. I hope their great fans don't have to see Philly clinch tonight. Good luck Habs!

Note to all teams: To beat Price, shoot gloveside.

Honestly, I could pick someone off the street, have them shoot 10 shots against Price's glove and they'll score on half of them.

Nah, most of them are happy with Price. They believe that Huet wouldn't have gotten them as far as Price has.

You can't stop R.J. Umberger though. He's the Umburgler.

I'll bet the Habs are ruing trading Huet

im ruing the habs trading huet.

and for your versus broadcast mistake of the day..."philadelphia's first conference finals appearence since 1997." im sure you tampa fans will recall that the bolts topped philly in the 3rd round in 2004 in 7 games.

What I fail to understand is the Habs had goaltending depth its not like they needed Price in goal this year. It's unlike the Ward situaton because we had no one who could possibly back up Gerber. The fact Huet got Washington to the playoffs, since apparently Olaf Kolzig cant is a testament to the fact hes at least a decent goalie.

I just hope they didn't ..... set back (not ruin) this goalies confidence because he looked shaken to me. I mean regardless this isn't Carolina like it was for Ward, this is Montreal where if you fart wrong the media is on you.