The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
dp1one

No. 1 Montreal Canadiens vs. No. 6 Philadelphia Flyers, Flyers advance to ECF

oh well.....

My thoughts are.....I enjoyed my habs this year and all the young guys who made a difference this year keeps me hopeful for the years to come.

Price has his playoff experience, as well as many of our other young kids. It's a real shame the focal point of this series was put on Price. I think he's going to be great.

Well, I know I'm a bit outnumbered here but I for one am happy Philly took the series... Gotta feel for the Habs and Price tho. He just was never on his game all night. Here's to some good hockey again in the conference finals!

This leaves a very real possibility of a Pens/Philly ECF. Those two teams hate each other in regular season games. It's gonna be epic if they meet in the ECF.

Tough break Hoyle, its tough to watch your team get knocked out. At least the fans recognized what a season its been for the team and how far they came from not even making the playoffs last season.

Philly has the killer instinct which will prove very important in the next round. If its against the Pens (my guess), it may just give them an atvantage at some point since the Pens havent closed out the Rangers yet. All the pressure will be on the Pens and all their stars. Philly has players like Breire who have made it to the ECF's twice the past couple of years, and will be very hungry to get to the SCF's.

Tough break Hoyle, its tough to watch your team get knocked out. At least the fans recognized what a season its been for the team and how far they came from not even making the playoffs last season.

Philly has the killer instinct which will prove very important in the next round. If its against the Pens (my guess), it may just give them an atvantage at some point since the Pens havent closed out the Rangers yet. All the pressure will be on the Pens and all their stars. Philly has players like Breire who have made it to the ECF's twice the past couple of years, and will be very hungry to get to the SCF's.

Damn shame. Three things:

1) Montreal really didn't seem to have the luck in this series, while Philly did. Yeah the better team gets the better bounces, but man Montreal hit so many goal posts...wow. The SWG sums it up perfectly for me, a turnaround shot from 35 ft. away deflected in beautifully by Upshall...gotta be some luck there.

2) I stated earlier that the Habs should ride Price to a come-back victory in the series, simply because I figured he'd play just that well. Oops, my bad. I guess he isn't Cam Ward after all, although to be honest I think he'll end up being a better goalie in the long run. The Price wasn't right this postseason however, and I know a lot of people are going to bring up the whole Huet trade again...but let's face it he wasn't any better in his short playoff run this year either. The Habs picked Price as their guy back in February, and even though he didn't work out this time around the future is still remarkably bright for the 20 year old and his team.

3) Super impressed by Philly's play. I didn't know they could look this complete, or that Biron (for the most part) could hold down the fort so well...I always thought he was a career underachiever...but now he looks great and is really giving Philly what they need in net. Hard to believe that the Flyers barely held onto their playoff spot to begin with there at the end of the reg. season...they look very good right now.

Montreal never got their PP working for the playoffs, and honestly I think that really hurt them because during the reg. season their PP was such a dangerous and useful weapon...they won games because of it. IMHO, they lost some games this postseason because of it not working. I don't think goaltending cost them everything; something else was def. missing there in the second round against Philadelphia...just can't quite put my finger on it. I thought they played well in spurts, looked like the faster team, and moved the puck well in the 5 games against the Flyers...just couldn't hardly finish a damn thing (yea Biron is part of that too). Gotta be tough for Montreal...played well but couldn't get it done. I looked forward to seeing this be their year...but hey Philly played better so on to the Conference Finals!

I'm glad for Marty Biron, he's really accomplished a lot this year.

Unless a nuclear meltdown takes place or Pittsburgh collapses, I've got the Pens in 7 in the next round with Gary Bettman making an appearance to give Sidney Crosby the Prince of Wales trophy with a little bow on it.

USA!

What I fail to understand is the Habs had goaltending depth its not like they needed Price in goal this year. It's unlike the Ward situaton because we had no one who could possibly back up Gerber. The fact Huet got Washington to the playoffs, since apparently Olaf Kolzig cant is a testament to the fact hes at least a decent goalie.

I just hope they didn't ..... set back (not ruin) this goalies confidence because he looked shaken to me. I mean regardless this isn't Carolina like it was for Ward, this is Montreal where if you fart wrong the media is on you.

Huet's a decent goalie no doubt, and I'm sure there is going to be a lot of talk about that trade for the next week, but what many people have to realize is this series is huge for Price's experience. Huet is a solid tender, but he's not the type of goalie who could steal you a series. Price proved he can in the Boston series. In the long run you have more to gain running with Price than Huet. Price is only going to get better, while Huet is at the peak of his career.

Yes Montreal could have gone all the way, but in reality they will have the same team next year. I believe they only have Andrei Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Smolinski, Ryder, Brisebois, Halak, Streit, Gorges, Streit, O'Byrne.

Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Halak, Gorges and O'Byrne are RFA, so that shouldn't be a big concer (mind you Gainey will have to move quick with Kostitsyn to make sure no one pulls a Kevin Lowe). Smolinksi is replaceable, while Ryder, Streit, and Brisebois will probably be let go.

I'm looking forward to next year. :)

Geeze. This sucks.

So much for this being the year. It's over. And boy does it hurt.

I'm still proud to be wearing my Habs shirt though, I'm really proud of those guys. We'll drive for 25 next year, boys.

Damn shame. Three things:

1) Montreal really didn't seem to have the luck in this series, while Philly did. Yeah the better team gets the better bounces, but man Montreal hit so many goal posts...wow. The SWG sums it up perfectly for me, a turnaround shot from 35 ft. away deflected in beautifully by Upshall...gotta be some luck there.

2) I stated earlier that the Habs should ride Price to a come-back victory in the series, simply because I figured he'd play just that well. Oops, my bad. I guess he isn't Cam Ward after all, although to be honest I think he'll end up being a better goalie in the long run. The Price wasn't right this postseason however, and I know a lot of people are going to bring up the whole Huet trade again...but let's face it he wasn't any better in his short playoff run this year either. The Habs picked Price as their guy back in February, and even though he didn't work out this time around the future is still remarkably bright for the 20 year old and his team.

3) Super impressed by Philly's play. I didn't know they could look this complete, or that Biron (for the most part) could hold down the fort so well...I always thought he was a career underachiever...but now he looks great and is really giving Philly what they need in net. Hard to believe that the Flyers barely held onto their playoff spot to begin with there at the end of the reg. season...they look very good right now.

Montreal never got their PP working for the playoffs, and honestly I think that really hurt them because during the reg. season their PP was such a dangerous and useful weapon...they won games because of it. IMHO, they lost some games this postseason because of it not working. I don't think goaltending cost them everything; something else was def. missing there in the second round against Philadelphia...just can't quite put my finger on it. I thought they played well in spurts, looked like the faster team, and moved the puck well in the 5 games against the Flyers...just couldn't hardly finish a damn thing (yea Biron is part of that too). Gotta be tough for Montreal...played well but couldn't get it done. I looked forward to seeing this be their year...but hey Philly played better so on to the Conference Finals!

I enjoyed reading your assessment.

To be fair, Boston wasn't exactly challenging Price for most of the series, and when they did, Price crumbled.

Price got two shutouts in that series, faced countless breakaways and a couple "5on3"s. Price may have struggled this series, but let's not go back and say his entire playoffs was soft. That's not fair.

Geeze. This sucks.

So much for this being the year. It's over. And boy does it hurt.

I'm still proud to be wearing my Habs shirt though, I'm really proud of those guys. We'll drive for 25 next year, boys.

I'm with you Cath.

I enjoyed reading your assessment.

Well it's just what my eyes saw, but thanks Hoyle...and good luck to your team in future seasons. The Habs are going to be very good for a long while.

Price got two shutouts in that series, faced countless breakaways and a couple "5on3"s. Price may have struggled this series, but let's not go back and say his entire playoffs was soft. That's not fair.

I call it like I see it. The Habs were the #1 seed, and they just barely beat the #8 seed and were completely outclassed by the #6 seed. Something doesn't add up there.

Obviously, the fact that the Habs powerplay went and pulled a Houdini on them is a big factor, but youth in the most important area of the sport is what really did them in. How many times did Price attempt to play the puck, only to gaff and lead to a goal? I counted at least twice.

It's not to downplay what the Habs did. They finished the season #1 in the East, they made it to the 2nd round. Both are more than I can say for the Canes. However, in both their series, they were lacking. For whatever reason, their opponents just looked better than them.

WOOHOO! I'm stoked! Philly wins in 5. Sorry, Hoyle :( . I will tell you this, out of all the eastern conference teams, Montreal scared me the most. I never thought we would get by them. Remember, I was at the Feb.16 game, we lost 1-0 and Price was on fire. He is a great goalie and only 20 years old. I think he had a fantastic year.

wOot!!! GO FLYERS AND WINGS!

no offense sensrebel but those are the two teams left I like the least :P

I want Pitt and SJ but would not mind seeing a Pitt vs Det final

as I think that would be awesome.

the Flyers ruined the Bruins season with two huge cheap shots

and its hard for me to root for them, but I do give them credit

for playing a great series vs the Habs

I call it like I see it. The Habs were the #1 seed, and they just barely beat the #8 seed and were completely outclassed by the #6 seed. Something doesn't add up there.

Obviously, the fact that the Habs powerplay went and pulled a Houdini on them is a big factor, but youth in the most important area of the sport is what really did them in. How many times did Price attempt to play the puck, only to gaff and lead to a goal? I counted at least twice.

It's not to downplay what the Habs did. They finished the season #1 in the East, they made it to the 2nd round. Both are more than I can say for the Canes. However, in both their series, they were lacking. For whatever reason, their opponents just looked better than them.

That's misleading...

Boston killed everyone during the regular season....the only reason why they were the 8th seed was because Montreal beat them all 8 games. If Boston hadn't struggled so much against Montreal in the regular season they could have contended for 1st in the conference as well.

And how were they completely outclassed by Phillie? They out shot, out hit, out puck possession, and out skated the Flyers. They hit a total of 14 posts the entire series, while Phillie scored goals off of a number of odd deflections. I don't mind losing, but please don't make it sound like they got completely outplayed, because that's so far from the truth. Montreal ran into a hot goalie and bad luck.

1/3 of the team lacked playoff experience, I think that might have something to do with it. I don't know why you're being so bitter about this, it's not even your team? Underdogs win series all the time and its pretty obvious that John Stevens plagiarized a page out of Claude Julien's book.

Carey Price is a 20 year old kid playing in one of the biggest pressure cooker cities in the league. He's got areas to improve, but I think you're being a little too hard on him.

WOOHOO! I'm stoked! Philly wins in 5. Sorry, Hoyle :( . I will tell you this, out of all the eastern conference teams, Montreal scared me the most. I never thought we would get by them. Remember, I was at the Feb.16 game, we lost 1-0 and Price was on fire. He is a great goalie and only 20 years old. I think he had a fantastic year.

Phillie played a tight game tonight....probably the strongest tonight I've seen them all series. Good luck against the Pens.

Yet another year passes without a Canadian team winning the Cup. I'm sure many Canadians were pulling for the Habs, even if they weren't regulally Hab fans. Tough one for our friends from the Great White North.

With apologies to Bob & Doug: "Coo coo coo coo coo...."

Thanks for screwing my picks up Philly. :P:lol:

Now Habs fans will be haunted, until they win their next cup, with having to think that they could have missed out on the 2008 Stanley Cup because management decided to go with a 20 year old goalie with no play off experience. This for a second round pick. From my angle, poor goalkeeping was a big factor in them losing the series. It seemed that everybody in Hockey questioned this move when it happened. It played out as a really stupid move. I kinda feel for whoever is their 2nd round pick next year, he will probably be scrutinized pretty closely as the guy that they gave up Huet for. Oh well, thats hockey 'eh?